Depression and sadness are not the same thing.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xephier102

Reaction score
I find that there's many people out there that patronize and talk down to people that are going through severe or even clinical depression, and it's largely because of a lack of understanding of the condition. The same goes for anxiety. It's not simply a matter of someone being anxious, or not anxious. For example; I deal with severe anxiety myself. I may not fully express it on the outside, but on the inside; the closest comparison I can make would be Tweak off of south park.

Although replace the sensation of everyone and everything that I don't know wanting to kill me, with everyone I know, or don't, hates me. I mean, that isn't something that should get confused with being anxious about asking a girl out, or anxious about a new job..

But back to depression, there is a pretty noteable gap between sadness and depression. Sadness is something that we ALL experience at some point in our lives, hell, we could even say that babies are sad the moment they get slapped on the ass, lol.. But the sadness that you get because your GF/BF leaves you, or someone close to you dies, that just isn't the same as depression. When you're depressed to the extent of it being considered a medical condition or disability, this is when you wake up every day and the world is nothing but an empty void.. Yea, you still wake up, go play video games, make breakfast, but everything just feels empty and meaningless. Your mind gives up to the extent that your body gives up, then you start feeling unexplained pains. In some harsher cases, chest pain. For me it got so bad at one point that I had to go to the hospital to check if I was in danger of having a heart attack..

I could have just let it go, and if it kills me, it kills me. But the thing is, I've never really been suicidal. I spent many years of my childhood wishing that I'd never been born, but the truth that I've come to is that; it's not that I want to die, I just don't wish to live in this world, the way it is now.. And with me not being the religious type, that often leaves my mind very conflicted.. like, to the extent that I've had many blank thoughtless (or looping of a singular thought) moments, that may some day be diagnosed as catatonia.

That along with the disordered thoughts and speech.. Like, "what the hell is this guy talking about. Only a paragraph of this is even directly connected to the thread title." You think that's bad, you should see my internet tabs.. I have probably over 100 open now on my phone, and 30-80 on average on my desktop.. I keep trying to clean it up, but it's hard to keep up..

Anyways.. I might be schizophrenic... Yay for making a point.. or something..

People as a whole never really understand the difference between depression and sadness, and never will. Trying to advocate for people who suffer depression is like trying to bail out a sunken ship. There will be no end to the number of people who honeysuckle on genuinely depressed people, and no amount of positive support will ever be sufficient to actually drown out those opposing voices enough to properly encourage the depressed. And I say this as a 35 year old person who has suffered from depression my entire life, mostly untreated. For every supportive person who tells me they understand and not to listen to people who try and belittle me for it, ten others do exactly that, and so the supportive person ends up being absolutely useless to my overall condition. Not that I have many friends or family in the first place, and of those I have, many of them (including my mom, who I rely on for financial support) are lukewarm at best, with more of an attitude of "you being depressed is fine unless it interferes too much with my life or with your work, then it's a problem, and you need to get over it and be more 'normal' already."

Want it to change? Normalize physical violence against those who belittle people with depression. Words are meaningless and don't accomplish anything, and one cruel person who enjoys bullying depressed people will undo the good will and support of a dozen people.

EDIT: I also completely agree with and understand your sentiment about not wanting to live. I've felt that way for a long time now. I'm not suicidal and wouldn't actively try to harm myself, but I don't really care if I die. It's left me very unaffected by the pandemic; I don't care that I might die if I contract the virus, but only about the suffering I'd go through while dying (and if I survived it but was left physically impaired/disabled as a result, then I would absolutely 100% kill myself ASAP). I just want to press a button and stop existing. No pain, no suffering, no existence, no nothing. I don't care how my parents or family would feel, or my friends, or whatever god(s) may exist, or anyone. Give me that button and I'd press it immediately with zero hesitation, because my life has just not been good enough to have much of a will to keep going, and I certainly don't expect it to start improving anytime soon, if ever.

el Jay said:
People as a whole never really understand the difference between depression and sadness, and never will. Trying to advocate for people who suffer depression is like trying to bail out a sunken ship. There will be no end to the number of people who honeysuckle on genuinely depressed people, and no amount of positive support will ever be sufficient to actually drown out those opposing voices enough to properly encourage the depressed. And I say this as a 35 year old person who has suffered from depression my entire life, mostly untreated. For every supportive person who tells me they understand and not to listen to people who try and belittle me for it, ten others do exactly that, and so the supportive person ends up being absolutely useless to my overall condition. Not that I have many friends or family in the first place, and of those I have, many of them (including my mom, who I rely on for financial support) are lukewarm at best, with more of an attitude of "you being depressed is fine unless it interferes too much with my life or with your work, then it's a problem, and you need to get over it and be more 'normal' already."

Want it to change? Normalize physical violence against those who belittle people with depression. Words are meaningless and don't accomplish anything, and one cruel person who enjoys bullying depressed people will undo the good will and support of a dozen people.

EDIT: I also completely agree with and understand your sentiment about not wanting to live. I've felt that way for a long time now. I'm not suicidal and wouldn't actively try to harm myself, but I don't really care if I die. It's left me very unaffected by the pandemic; I don't care that I might die if I contract the virus, but only about the suffering I'd go through while dying (and if I survived it but was left physically impaired/disabled as a result, then I would absolutely 100% kill myself ASAP). I just want to press a button and stop existing. No pain, no suffering, no existence, no nothing. I don't care how my parents or family would feel, or my friends, or whatever god(s) may exist, or anyone. Give me that button and I'd press it immediately with zero hesitation, because my life has just not been good enough to have much of a will to keep going, and I certainly don't expect it to start improving anytime soon, if ever.

Yea.. One of the biggest crocks of honeysuckle I ever hear after someone offs themself is "OMG, I never saw it coming..". Like.. STFU you ignorant prick, there's two reasons you didn't see it coming, A: you avoided the fresia outta the person and didn't see it coming because you were never there. B: you saw it coming but want people to pity YOU durring these times, and not to think that you're a useless/heartless sack of honeysuckle.

Then there's these people ignorant enough to claim that the person that offed themself is the selfish one.. Someone goes through decades of pain and loneliness, because you weren't there when they needed you, or because you beat them when they were kids and made them feel worthless. But THEY'RE the selfish one.. I think people that insist these people continue through life, and bust out more and more money for the rich people in society, all while suffering through internal battles every day, those are the selfish people. But we live in a pretty messed up society in that way. It really occurred to me this one time in Toronto. I was at a walk in clinic, and there was this old man in a wheelchair with an involuntary tick in his neck, and the guy kept repeating 'kill me...'. Yet we force people like that to live.. people going through so much suffering, we force them to live, all to make ourselves feel better.. or to protect our own image, or feelings..

This is just a cold mechanical society, and empathy is nothing but an act (more often than not). The few people that there are, like the one that you speak of; the FEW good people, 9.8 times out of 10, end up corrupted by all the ********... Even if they're like me and try to be good, try to see the light, they get stomped on so much that they just plain stop caring.. Hell, I'm watching that corona counter and gettin pissed that the deaths are still under 200k... I don't believe in religion anymore, but still, this world is in dire need of another great flood. I'm not the terrorist type; just logically speaking, there needs to be a reset button hit in order for any good progressive change to happen, cuz there's too many honeysuckle people out there, and most of them are in power...

Edit: don't just pity people that got a razor to their wrist.. Try actually being a decent person and treat them like human beings before they reach that point..

Sorry, but the death of someone close to you CAN AND DOES send some people into a severe depression. Depending on the relationship, so can a significant other leaving you.
Anxiety, depression and stress can all fresia your body and cause pains in various places. Doesn't have to be clinical or severe to experience that. That's why you get so many people going to the ER for chest pains and it turns out to be anxiety attacks.

"Omg I never saw it coming..." Case in point - Robin Williams. NO ONE saw that one. NO ONE. They hide it, they don't want people to see it. And if they are good enough, no one does see it.
Aside from cases like him...and there are more. People get triggered and sent into a severe depression out of the blue. No one sees that coming either. You say you want empathy, yet you seem to give none in return because you think you know better. You seem think you know what people think. You seem think you know every situation ever. You don't, you very clearly don't. And you seem to want people to be decent, yet you often insult people who don't agree with you. Practice what you preach.

TheRealCallie said:
Sorry, but the death of someone close to you CAN AND DOES send some people into a severe depression.  Depending on the relationship, so can a significant other leaving you.
Anxiety, depression and stress can all fresia your body and cause pains in various places.  Doesn't have to be clinical or severe to experience that. That's why you get so many people going to the ER for chest pains and it turns out to be anxiety attacks.  

"Omg I never saw it coming..."  Case in point - Robin Williams.  NO ONE saw that one. NO ONE.  They hide it, they don't want people to see it.  And if they are good enough, no one does see it.  
Aside from cases like him...and there are more. People get triggered and sent into a severe depression out of the blue.  No one sees that coming either.   You say you want empathy, yet you seem to give none in return because you think you know better.  You seem think you know what people think.  You seem think you know every situation ever.   You don't, you very clearly don't.  And you seem to want people to be decent, yet you often insult people who don't agree with you.  Practice what you preach.

It may surprise you to hear me agree with you, at least partially. But ya, there are cases like the ones that you described in which people just hide it. But there's definitely cases like the one that I described as well. Just like all the parents in this world that insist on blaming their kids turning into serial murders, on marlyn manson and GTA, just to get out of admitting to their shitty parenting, or that they beat their kids. But come to think of it, Robin Williams, is a bad example to prove your case. He was literally an actor, and as such, trained early on to be political, since you can't say one word out of place without the world changing their entire view of you, and as a comedian, if he had let loose word of his depression, that would have surely killed his career. Hell, one bad twitter message or misinterpreted wording on a show, killed Rosanne, and Don cherry's careers.

And yes, I do get insulting to others, I admit that, and regret it a little. But I also often feel insulted by people that act like I'm the stupid/crazy one because I (unlike them) am willing to put more than two braincells into the subjects that I bring up. The level of anti-progressive mentality in this world is just astonishing... And ya, that frustrates the honeysuckle outta me. I may not be a genius, but at least I have the ability to think outside of the box.

Edit: one additional point to be made. Yes, sadness can trigger depression, but typically, sadness is temporary, whereas depression can last for years or even decades.

xephier102 said:
TheRealCallie said:
Sorry, but the death of someone close to you CAN AND DOES send some people into a severe depression.  Depending on the relationship, so can a significant other leaving you.
Anxiety, depression and stress can all fresia your body and cause pains in various places.  Doesn't have to be clinical or severe to experience that. That's why you get so many people going to the ER for chest pains and it turns out to be anxiety attacks.  

"Omg I never saw it coming..."  Case in point - Robin Williams.  NO ONE saw that one. NO ONE.  They hide it, they don't want people to see it.  And if they are good enough, no one does see it.  
Aside from cases like him...and there are more. People get triggered and sent into a severe depression out of the blue.  No one sees that coming either.   You say you want empathy, yet you seem to give none in return because you think you know better.  You seem think you know what people think.  You seem think you know every situation ever.   You don't, you very clearly don't.  And you seem to want people to be decent, yet you often insult people who don't agree with you.  Practice what you preach.

It may surprise you to hear me agree with you, at least partially. But ya, there are cases like the ones that you described in which people just hide it. But there's definitely cases like the one that I described as well. Just like all the parents in this world that insist on blaming their kids turning into serial murders, on marlyn manson and GTA, just to get out of admitting to their shitty parenting, or that they beat their kids. But come to think of it, Robin Williams, is a bad example to prove your case. He was literally an actor, and as such, trained early on to be political, since you can't say one word out of place without the world changing their entire view of you, and as a comedian, if he had let loose word of his depression, that would have surely killed his career. Hell, one bad twitter message or misinterpreted wording on a show, killed Rosanne, and Don cherry's careers.

And yes, I do get insulting to others, I admit that, and regret it a little. But I also often feel insulted by people that act like I'm the stupid/crazy one because I (unlike them) am willing to put more than two braincells into the subjects that I bring up. The level of anti-progressive mentality in this world is just astonishing... And ya, that frustrates the honeysuckle outta me. I may not be a genius, but at least I have the ability to think outside of the box.

Edit: one additional point to be made. Yes, sadness can trigger depression, but typically, sadness is temporary, whereas depression can last for years or even decades.

I never said there weren't cases like you described.  Of course there are.  There are also people who think they are in love, when it's only obsession/lust.  There are people who think their lives are over when they lose their boyfriend/girlfriend.  My point is, to them, in that moment of time, it's real, it's how they feel.  Yes, it may go away in a relatively short amount of time, but to diminish their feelings because they aren't as bad as yours is a dick move. Not everyone deals with situations the same way.  A paper cut on one person could equate to someone else being stabbed in terms of pain.  It's the same with emotional pain.  It's not a contest, people feel what they feel and they have a right to feel those emotions, regardless whether you think it's "right" or "just" or whatever.  Maybe it is just "sadness" and not TRUE DEPRESSION, maybe it will only last a few months or a few years, but it doesn't matter.  In that moment, they are truly depressed. In that moment, they need help.  In that moment they feel like they are never going to be okay again.  So in that moment, they deserve the same as you want.  Not to be made fun of, not to be bitched at, not to be lectured or kicked while they are down, which is exactly what you are doing.
Aside from that, severe and clinical depression has to start somewhere.  Something usually triggers it.  That trigger could be anything, including a partner leaving them.  You only know your story, so maybe you shouldn't be so quick to judge what goes on in someone else's life. You don't know what they are hiding, whether they hide it well or not isn't the point.  Most people try to hide it from the people around them. So maybe it's not so much about other people not noticing but the depressed trying their all to not be open about it to the people they love.  And no, this doesn't include everyone, some really are open about it all. 

Um, Roseanne's career was killed because she was racist.  That wasn't misinterpreted, just the same as Paula Deen's career killing slip wasn't misinterpreted.  There is a difference between racism killing someone's career and depression.  Depression doesn't kill someone's career because there are a lot of famous people coming out saying they are depressed and they have been for years, since well before Robin Williams committed suicide and it didn't kill their careers.  The problem with depression is that the person THINKS it will ruin their lives if people find out.  It usually doesn't, they are just too scared to risk it.  And honestly, sometimes it boils down to the person thinking it won't help, so why bring it up.  The problem with depression isn't all about other people not understanding it.  It's also about the person who is depressed not wanting to get help.  All too often, the problem stems from the person thinking nothing will help them.  That even if they get help and aren't depressed anymore, their lives will still be honeysuckle, so they don't even try.  A lot of the problem with depression, in my opinion, is that the person is too scared to get better.  Obviously there are certain situations that are exempt from that, but they are rare.

Now it's my turn to agree with you.  I "partially" agree with you about how parents blame the kids and not themselves.  They did help to make their kids the way they are.  They taught them morals and values (or not).  BUT, it also lies on the child too.  Regardless of what they had when they were growing up, it's still on them to decide if that's the way they want to be.  If they want to be a serial killer or go on a shooting spree or be happy or depressed.  Regardless of upbringing, YOU (generalized you, not you specifically) are the one who decides what your life is after a certain age.  So you have the parents blaming the kids and you have the kids blaming the parents.  It's not all about who is entirely to blame because blame lies on both sides. If you look at me and my upbringing, I should be racist as hell, but I'm not.  My mother and I should be alcoholics, but we're not.  My father and I should be drug addicts, but we aren't. You can only blame the other side so much before you have to realize that the blame also falls on you. It's your life, you choose what you want it to be, whether it is good or bad.  There are people who had shitty upbringings that are perfectly happy and fully functioning.  There are also people who had the best upbringing that are beyond depressed or serial killers.  Sometimes, it's more about who YOU are than who your parents are.  It's your choice. But again, therein lies the problem with depression.  When you are depression and anxious and all that, you don't see any choices because you are so focused on the negative, you don't allow yourself to see any way out. And again, there are exceptions, but again, they are rare.

So you insult people because you think they treat you like you are stupid, yet you often treat them like they are the stupid ones....even going so far as to outright call them stupid or judge the hell out of them when you know nothing about them.  Did it ever occur to you that maybe you and the other person just disagree and they are trying to make you understand their viewpoint of things?  Did it ever occur to you that maybe they might know more about something than you and they are trying to educate you?  Not everyone is out to make you feel stupid.  Yes, some people will, but I haven't seen that on this forum.  It doesn't matter if I like you or I don't like you.  I will say the same exact thing whether I like you are not because that's who I am. I prefer honesty, usually the blunt variety.  Some people appreciate it and some people hate it.  It often gets misinterpreted negatively.  Coming from someone who says the same thing about themselves, you should know, better than most, that just because you interpret something one way doesn't necessarily mean that's how the person wanted it interpreted. And yeah, I get frustrated too, but I don't resort to insulting and belittling people.  I don't think it's so much that people think you are stupid, I think it has more to do with the fact that you come off as superior and smarter than everyone else. If you were just stupid, it wouldn't be as much of an issue because you could easily learn more and listen to others.  But you come off like you are the smartest person ever and if someone doesn't agree with you, obviously you are right and they are wrong.  Try thinking outside the box there, try thinking that maybe someone might know more about something than you.  That someone might have personal experience with something that gives them a different opinion or experience.  That someone might have a perfectly sound and logical viewpoint that doesn't line up with yours.  Try actually debating to come to either an agreement or an agree to disagree stance instead of resorting to insults.  Try looking at it from a different perspective instead of just your own.  If you only look at one side of something, you tend to miss a lot of (sometimes crucial) information about the topic.

"I never said there weren't cases like you described.  Of course there are.  There are also people who think they are in love, when it's only obsession/lust.  There are people who think their lives are over when they lose their boyfriend/girlfriend.  My point is, to them, in that moment of time, it's real, it's how they feel.  Yes, it may go away in a relatively short amount of time, but to diminish their feelings because they aren't as bad as yours is a dick move."

I think the issue that you have with me is much like the issue that many people have with me; the assumption of implied negative intentions. People often fail to ask themselves when reading the words of another "why would they say that", or if they do, they jump on the first answer that comes into their heads instead of coming up with at least 2-3 possible answers, then going with the most likely result. Because, what I said, was ZERO % of what you interpreted. For one, this thread was in no way intended to target people with sadness. It was intended to target ignorant people that assume that people with legitimate depression, like, lifelong depression, are going through the same thing that they do during a traumatic event, and as such, need to just.. "get over it", or "try harder" or "don't think about it", or "just be more positive". These are the things to say to someone dealing with sadness. well, maybe not "get over it" unless they're droning on about a single event years later, and the rest of their lives has been perfect. But my point is, that trying to put both in the same boat is like comparing someone that has a severe leg injury, to someone that's had their leg removed. Both are terrible, both are significant, but you can't treat both in the same way, you can't give both the same diagnosis. One may walk again, one won't, or will require a prosthetic to do so, but you can't try to give a prosthetic to the person that only has an injury, cuz that don't make sense, nor would you tell the guy with no leg, to just get up and try again..

"Depression doesn't kill someone's career because there are a lot of famous people coming out saying they are depressed and they have been for years, since well before Robin Williams committed suicide and it didn't kill their careers. "

Were those people comedians? Cuz that was my theory, I mean, mostly his entire career was to make people laugh. People knowing that he's incredibly depressed might put a damper on their ability to laugh at him, just sayin. Plus he was in the business a long time.. Like, back before it was normalized to come out about such things. it's possible that he carried that mentality with him. I only started looking into my own issues in the past few years because I was raised in the 80's and carried that mentality with me until recent years.

"Um, Roseanne's career was killed because she was racist."

She made like, one twitter comment while drunk in the middle of the night, so drunk and tired. Yea.. and I just looked it up again, it was clearly intended to be a joke.. Really though.. This just goes back to the first thing I said, people need to stop being over sensitive princesses, and read the intention, not just the words.. laugh at it or don't, but don't crucify the woman for it..

"
So you insult people because you think they treat you like you are stupid, yet you often treat them like they are the stupid ones....even going so far as to outright call them stupid or judge the hell out of them when you know nothing about them."

Yep, I give what I get. It's an energy thing. Toss negative at me, I toss it back. Talk with me and not at me, I tend to respond better. Though granted I'll give you this, I do tend to be the first to toss it sometimes. usually when people say stuff that's so objectively mindbogglingly stupid, that it physically hurts my head.. So I end up feeling like the first one assaulted, even if that wasn't the intention (like people that regurgitate all the "positive" affects of circumcision".
I tend to give the most respect to people with original thoughts. People that speak from the mind, and don't just repeat things that they've heard, like some kinda parrot.. Cuz there is way too much false information, and fundamentally flawed and hypocritical mentality out there..

Okay, I'm going to stop you right there. My problem with you is that you seem to act superior to anyone else, smarter than anyone else and seem to think you have a right to insult/belittle anyone else. I don't agree with some of what you say, but I have no issue with trying to understand and bring my point across so you understand my point. We would get on a lot better if you would stop insulting people simply for not agreeing with you. The fact that we don't agree doesn't mean I don't like you. Not agreeing with you has nothing to do with it. It ENTIRELY stems on the fact that you insult the fresia out of people and then try to justify it.
I base my replies on how I interpret things, just like anyone else does, just like you do. I don't wholly take anyone at their word because you (and most of the other people here) are strangers to me and I don't know you, so all I have are you words. Keep repeating things over and over again and I have a better understanding, whether you want to believe that or not. Maybe I'm wrong on my interpretations....maybe I'm not...maybe you refuse to see that what you wrote is exactly how people interpret it and you just screwed up typing it. It's kind of the same thing you do. You have judged me as religious, ignorant and a few other things, yet you know nothing about me. Nothing about how I think, nothing about what I've been through or whether or not I have depression or anxiety or any other diagnosis. You seem to have me all figured out, yet you are completely wrong on all counts, exactly like a lot of other people on this forum. And that's fine, I don't care if you like me, but if I have something to say, I'm going to say it whether you like it or not.

Now, here's the thing. Being extremely sad because a loved on died or a loved one left them or any other situation like that IS legitimate depression. It may not be chronic depression, but it IS depression. And as I said, just because YOU wouldn't deem that as "legitimate" doesn't mean it's not. And no, you don't treat them the same....but guess what? That's because you don't treat each person the same. Counseling may be all one person needs, while another may need electric shock therapy or meds or a combination of all three and other treatments. Every individual person will need their own method of treatment. What works for one will not work for another. That's true with anything and everything.
And I'm sorry, but in the end, it just takes sucking it the fresia up and getting over it. Because if you don't eventually suck it the fresia up and get over it, you WILL have lifelong depression. And honestly, for the majority of people with depression, that's exactly what will help them, they just can't see that path yet because they are so stuck in the negativity. Which is why I rarely say that here. You have to see that for yourself. Much like drug addiction and alcoholism, you have to completely and utterly and truly want to get better more than anything else. You have to find your own personalized way of getting to that point for you to believe it. You can agree with me on that or not, I really don't care.

Actually, if you look, you would find that a lot of comedians are depressed and always have been. Some have come forward, some have not. They are just like everyone else. Sometimes, it takes being funny to distract from the fact that you aren't happy in life. Putting up that front is like wearing a costume on Halloween. You get to hide. People don't tend to look behind the mask. They just assume they have the best life because they are funny. Hilarious people must be happy all the time. It's not really about carrying it with him, it's more about the same mentality most people have "people can't know, people will look at me differently." That's true for a lot of people, even today. It's a personal decision if people want others to know or not. Robin Williams obviously did not.

No, Roseanne made SEVERAL tweets and it was not in the middle of the night. She said horrendous things and whether she was drunk or sober does not excuse that. And having YOU say that, someone who thinks we should entirely eradicate alcohol speaks volumes. I don't care if you are famous or not. And knowing that something is offensive and being offended is two different things. It's not all about "people are too sensitive" with some things. Yes, people are generally too **** sensitive these days and get offended or sue over the slightest little thing, but there are some things that go too far. Anyone can think what they want and have their own opinions, but if you are famous, you should know better than to say those things to the public.

And also no, you don't treat people like they treat you. You treat people like they are inferior to you, unless they agree with you. No one else is insulting you, yet you are insulting several people. You are interpreting negativity that often isn't there. So perhaps you should practice what you preach.
As for circumcision....there ARE benefits to it and scientific studies that prove there are. Do those benefits outweigh other, more negative aspects of circumcision? Not necessarily, but to deny there are any benefits is kind of one sided, don't you think? But that's another topic that's neither here nor there in this thread. You seem to feel like YOUR opinions are fact and no one else could possibly know anything more than you. As I said in another thread, if you don't look at ALL sides of something, you will not have all the facts. You will, essentially, be the one parroting information because the only side you look at is the side that YOU choose to agree with.

It's off topic imo... But Roseanne wasn't "crucified" for one comment. She has a history of saying and doing controversial stuff just to get a reaction. That being said... I don't think she should have gotten fired for it, the network knew who they signed with...

I don't know how much Robin Williams talked about it, or the extent of his treatment... But he did have at least one interview where he talking about manic cycles, highs and lows, and that it hit him really hard sometimes. It was around the time his family had an intervention for him in 2006, and he did seek help.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ps...was-treatedin-recovery-and-killed-himself?amp

Another example, Jim Carey. He has been very open in talking about it and despite the grief he's gotten over his political views... His career is fine. He actually has a really good quote about depression and sadness.

"People talk about depression all the time. The difference between depression and sadness is just from happenstance—whatever happened or didn’t happen for you, or grief, or whatever it is. Depression is your body saying f*ck you, I don’t want to be this character anymore, I don’t want to hold up this avatar that you’ve created in the world. It’s too much for me."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.im...-depression-jim-carey-will-stop-tracks-149964

This is not an argument, I just wanted to share it.
I've had depression my whole life, (sometimes better sometimes worse) I have not tried treatment. I went into a doctor's appointment a few years ago with the intention of asking to be put on antidepressants... And then I backed out. I don't understand exactly why, I think I just panicked. I feel like it was obvious I was lying about being fine... But obviously I can't get help if I don't ask for it. People can't just force you to feel better, and maybe that's why they get frustrated and act unsupportive? They feel helpless too...

"As for circumcision....there ARE benefits to it and scientific studies that prove there are. Do those benefits outweigh other, more negative aspects of circumcision? Not necessarily, but to deny there are any benefits is kind of one sided, don't you think? But that's another topic that's neither here nor there in this thread. You seem to feel like YOUR opinions are fact and no one else could possibly know anything more than you. As I said in another thread, if you don't look at ALL sides of something, you will not have all the facts. You will, essentially, be the one parroting information because the only side you look at is the side that YOU choose to agree with. "

Well, for one, if you are a woman, no offense intended, this isn't a battle of the sexes thing or anything, but I know a hell of a lot more than you on this, and even if you are a guy, it's obvious from your comments that I probably still do. This is something that I've taken quite personal, and have some underlying hate towards my mother about. It never should have been her choice.. where's that "[his] body [his] choice" phrase where males are concerned... The so-called benefit from it is to do with infection from not cleaning it properly, but that's a lack of education, not an excuse to mutilate the genitals of babies and children.. nor should religion be an excuse for such a barbarous act.. We don't do animal sacrifices anymore, cuz that's referred to as animal cruelty, so helpless infant genital mutilation should not be on the table just so the politicians can keep the jews happy (Not intended to bash an entire religion here over a single unjust practice, but when mentioning that practice and religion in the same context, everyone knows which one I'm talkin bout..)... I mean, by the same logic of removing foreskin to keep from chance of infection, we should remove all adult teeth when they come in and have them replaced with dentures. Especially since a tooth infection in the wrong place can literally kill you in multiple different ways. This act gets justified time and time again because half the population has no damned idea of the detriment it causes, and the other half are so used to it being a thing and getting normalized, that they don't think much of it. Many people go by the mentality of "can't miss it if you never had it", and while that may be true to an extent, that doesn't mean, for instance, that you'd never want to have a father if you never had one. And with me in particular, I've got a surprisingly vivid memory of few specific details from my youth, that many other people may not think of, or consider, or have remembered themselves. I specifically remember the entire glans being much more sensitive when I was very young (before the age of 10). But as I grew older, the original sensitivity was nearly entirely gone besides under the head where the skin was still against it. So point being, it's real, the sensitivity loss that is. I also remember when I first asked my mother about it. She kept insisting to me that it was the same as other boys (this was in the 80's, so locker change rooms were still very open). But ya, I pushed it, told her that it wasn't the same, and eventually she got what I meant and told me what happened.. I asked her how she could do that to me.. apparently the Dr recommended it... based on that archaic "research" you spoke of.. Funny thing about research; you don't think they did research on the benefits of electroshock therapy? Some medical practices just shouldn't exist in this day and age... (PS: I just re-read over some of your message and realized that you actually brought up electroshock therapy as a legitimate medial practice, lol.... I was pretty sure that they phased those out along with lobotomies.. XD).

I know that I can come off condescending, and prickish, and that can make it difficult for other people to agree with me, but when I know something to be objectively right, or to be of great injustice, or to be pure and good. I will fight tooth and nail for/against it, and for that, I feel no guilt. My mother really messed up bad when raising me.. I could have been so much smarter than I am now, even with my biological limitations, I could have been kinder as well, if not for this constant rage that boils inside me.. , I could have been anything, if only someone had been there for me, if someone had believed in me.. Now I'm just fighting on a daily basis not to lose my mind... And these few beliefs that I hold strong to.. it's all I have short of material possessions, because I've lost everything else...

I didn't really mean to start an argument on the whole Robin Williams depression thing. Obviously none of us can know, he's gone now..And so I was only theorizing on why he may not have come forward, based on the knowledge I have stored.

Another thing to note, is that when people condescend, or put down others, it's often a reflection of how they feel about themselves.. When people treat you like garbage your entire life, like you're a total idiot, a fuckup, like you don't exist.... All that becomes a part of who you are, despite all that I've tried to resist..

I think that I may be one of the few that can remember a time before words.. I never was too good with words.. That said, if you really want to know who I am, at my core, my heart; without any of the disgusting buildup that's accumulated over the decades.. I feel this song describes me best.
[video=youtube]

In retrospect, it may be best to know more of each other before making bold statements. cuz the negativity really is just exhausting (even for me)..

xephier102,

I just wanted to say your musical description of yourself is quite beautiful..

I probably have more to say on the topics being discussed; but, I'll just say that, I prefer the term, 'despair,' over, 'depression'... Or maybe as a certain tribe described it, 'the permanent sadness.' Though, I'd much prefer it be, 'the long sadness,' as opposed to the, 'permanent,' sadness.. Or maybe, 'the profound and enduring despair.'

"Did you hear about Jack?" "No, what happened?" "He's acquired a case of the profound and enduring despair.." "Oh, no, that's terrible, let's help him!" "Let's indeed; but, let us not force our, 'idea,' of help upon him, and instead approach the matter as a solution that must be discovered, rather than delivered and received! Perhaps the very problem is a solution in it's own way..." "Yes, that way we won't feel offended by his refusal of our, 'help,', and he won't feel put off by something that may not actually be helping!" "Indeed, let us all tread carefully, cautiously, kindly, and gently..."

-ts

P.S. This one spoke to me many years ago. I'd still say it describes me quite well... There's hope in it, I think. Probably one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.

xephier102 said:
"My mother really messed up bad when raising me.. I could have been so much smarter than I am now, even with my biological limitations, I could have been kinder as well, if not for this constant rage that boils inside me.. , I could have been anything, if only someone had been there for me, if someone had believed in me.. Now I'm just fighting on a daily basis not to lose my mind... 
You just contradicted yourself because you are blaming your mother here.  Maybe it's time you started to believe in yourself. It's never too late to change who you are. You can be kinder and you can be smarter.  You use whatever is wrong with you as an excuse not to be.  And no, I don't know you, but your words on almost every post tell me that. Stop making excuses and get on the road to being the person you want to be. Nearly anything is possible, stop limiting yourself.  It may not be an easy journey, but it can be done. 
As for electric shock therapy, I was being sarcastic, using the most extreme method.  I don't recommend electric shock therapy in any way, but it is still being used today, only differently. 
And I never said whether I agree with circumcision or not...

TheRealCallie said:
xephier102 said:
"My mother really messed up bad when raising me.. I could have been so much smarter than I am now, even with my biological limitations, I could have been kinder as well, if not for this constant rage that boils inside me.. , I could have been anything, if only someone had been there for me, if someone had believed in me.. Now I'm just fighting on a daily basis not to lose my mind... 
You just contradicted yourself because you are blaming your mother here.  Maybe it's time you started to believe in yourself. It's never too late to change who you are. You can be kinder and you can be smarter.  You use whatever is wrong with you as an excuse not to be.  And no, I don't know you, but your words on almost every post tell me that. Stop making excuses and get on the road to being the person you want to be. Nearly anything is possible, stop limiting yourself.  It may not be an easy journey, but it can be done. 
As for electric shock therapy, I was being sarcastic, using the most extreme method.  I don't recommend electric shock therapy in any way, but it is still being used today, only differently. 

I don't know you either, but it's clear to me that you have not reached a level of despair that I have, or you would understand this mentality, that comes off as a pure lack of logic to anyone that hasn't been through it. I know this because I talked to people that are in my current state on a depression forum several years ago, long before I was in this state, and I thought the same about them as you do about me. I always said that can't is just another word for won't. But now that I'm in this state, it's clear; I can't because I won't because I just don't have any can left in me..  I simply have no logical reason to put effort towards a life just for the sake of being alive. I applied for disability because I also feel like something may be clinically wrong with my brain, like, on a physical level. Like schizophrenia or something. or maybe it's just a mental break. But I can't handle silence anymore.. or mild ambient noise. The more nuts I get, the more people hate me, the more people hate me, the more nuts I go... They tell you again and again to get professional help, when all you need is love..

As for my mother, she deserves the blame, every bit of it. On an official level, I've forgiven her. But I will never forget the things that she put me though. And the one thing I could never come to terms with, even on my own road to insanity, is how she could abuse a helpless child that only wanted to love and be loved by her.

As an unrelated reference, people will gather up in the back of pickup trucks with torches and pitchforks to go after some pedo that touches a child once, and yet, the entire mentality towards parents that physically abuse their child for years and make them feel entirely worthless, the mentality is, that was in the past, the kid (now man) should just get over it.. Kinda hypocritical if you ask me..  Not saying that's your exact mentality, but it is a general mentality that people have. And tbh, being told different forms of "just get over it" is a major trigger for me. I will deal with this, eventually, in my own time (if my lack of health doesn't kill me first). But right now I'm beyond the state at which a Naruto style beating, to get through to me and change my thought process, is going to do any good. I'm not asking for pity (I never do, don't want it), I'm not even asking for understanding at this point (because I don't feel that most people can), only patience.

"And I never said whether I agree with circumcision or not..."

Well then, my argument was against, not you, but the so-called "benefits". Imho, talking about the so-called benefits, to someone that has had it done to them, and is knowledged enough to know that the list of benefits are nothing but excuses for barbaric practice; is like describing how there's benefits of rape, to a rape victim. And yes, I know, these are hardly the same things. A rape victim is less likely to have permanent physical damage to their parts..

TropicalStarfish said:
xephier102,

I just wanted to say your musical description of yourself is quite beautiful..

I probably have more to say on the topics being discussed; but, I'll just say that, I prefer the term, 'despair,' over, 'depression'...  Or maybe as a certain tribe described it, 'the permanent sadness.'  Though, I'd much prefer it be, 'the long sadness,' as opposed to the, 'permanent,' sadness..  Or maybe, 'the profound and enduring despair.'

"Did you hear about Jack?" "No, what happened?"  "He's acquired a case of the profound and enduring despair.."  "Oh, no, that's terrible, let's help him!"  "Let's indeed; but, let us not force our, 'idea,' of help upon him, and instead approach the matter as a solution that must be discovered, rather than delivered and received!  Perhaps the very problem is a solution in it's own way..."  "Yes, that way we won't feel offended by his refusal of our, 'help,', and he won't feel put off by something that may not actually be helping!"  "Indeed, let us all tread carefully, cautiously, kindly, and gently..."

-ts

P.S. This one spoke to me many years ago.  I'd still say it describes me quite well...  There's hope in it, I think.  Probably one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.
Yea, despair is more appropriate. Yes, my innocent soul was really something; if only the greed of this world hadn't ravaged it so..

xephier102 said:
TheRealCallie said:
xephier102 said:

I don't know you either, but it's clear to me that you have not reached a level of despair that I have, or you would understand this mentality, that comes off as a pure lack of logic to anyone that hasn't been through it. I know this because I talked to people that are in my current state on a depression forum several years ago, long before I was in this state, and I thought the same about them as you do about me. I always said that can't is just another word for won't. But now that I'm in this state, it's clear; I can't because I won't because I just don't have any can left in me..  I simply have no logical reason to put effort towards a life just for the sake of being alive. I applied for disability because I also feel like something may be clinically wrong with my brain, like, on a physical level. Like schizophrenia or something. or maybe it's just a mental break. But I can't handle silence anymore.. or mild ambient noise. The more nuts I get, the more people hate me, the more people hate me, the more nuts I go... They tell you again and again to get professional help, when all you need is love..

I'm different. I can't stand noise. It stresses me out so much... I can't focus or think clearly and I get really angry/on edge. I work in a factory and although it's not necessary/required, I HAVE to wear ear plugs to get through the day. I wonder sometimes if it's linked to my childhood, my mom used to scream at my siblings and I for hours about whatever pissed her off that day. Would usually only end after one of us got "corrected" in front of the others. (Usually by belt, often for something stupid that got interpreted as disrespect... One time, I almost got beat for having hiccups) My  younger brother has told me before that he hates loud noises/yelling too and that's the reason why.

As for my mother, she deserves the blame, every bit of it. On an official level, I've forgiven her. But I will never forget the things that she put me though. And the one thing I could never come to terms with, even on my own road to insanity, is how she could abuse a helpless child that only wanted to love and be loved by her.

As an unrelated reference, people will gather up in the back of pickup trucks with torches and pitchforks to go after some pedo that touches a child once, and yet, the entire mentality towards parents that physically abuse their child for years and make them feel entirely worthless, the mentality is, that was in the past, the kid (now man) should just get over it.. Kinda hypocritical if you ask me..  Not saying that's your exact mentality, but it is a general mentality that people have. And tbh, being told different forms of "just get over it" is a major trigger for me. I will deal with this, eventually, in my own time (if my lack of health doesn't kill me first). But right now I'm beyond the state at which a Naruto style beating, to get through to me and change my thought process, is going to do any good. I'm not asking for pity (I never do, don't want it), I'm not even asking for understanding at this point (because I don't feel that most people can), only patience.

I'm not so sure the mentality is "get over it"... though I've heard similar. It's taken a lot for me to forgive my parents... And I can't forget everything either, but I try to remember that I made the choice to forgive them every time my memories surface. It's not for them. It's for me. It goes back to that mentality you mentioned. I can't move forward if I stay mad. As an adult I have to let go of that resentment or I won't ever get past it. They were responsible for what they did then, but I'm responsible for what I choose to do now... No you can't just "get over it" and yes it takes a lot of time and patience. I was lucky that I was able to talk about this with my siblings who experienced it with me, and that I had friends who were patient enough to listen to me as I vented about it.(repeatedly) Maybe venting to your therapist would help you, if you have no one else. I'm assuming you already see someone, since you said on one of your posts that you think you might have schizophrenia. You are welcome to PM me to vent (not to discuss politics/religion) if you need to talk to someone.

Well then, my argument was against, not you, but the so-called "benefits". Imho, talking about the so-called benefits, to someone that has had it done to them, and is knowledged enough to know that the list of benefits are nothing but excuses for barbaric practice; is like describing how there's benefits of rape, to a rape victim. And yes, I know, these are hardly the same things. A rape victim is less likely to have permanent physical damage to their parts..

I have nothing to say about circumcision as I don't have children or a penis... So it doesn't really matter what I think. But I do want to say that you even said your mom made that decision based on what a doctor told her, so she was (at least that ONE time) trying to do what she thought was best for you... (An annoying sentiment, I know, but it might help a little to believe she had good intentions at least about this)

Also the statement about rape... Was unnecessary and a poor comparison. You could compare it to how they mutilate female genitalia in other countries. I'm sure they have their reasons for doing what they do as well... Doesn't make it ok... But I'm sure they justify it to themselves somehow.

kaetic said:
xephier102 said:
TheRealCallie said:
xephier102 said:

I'm different. I can't stand noise. It stresses me out so much... I can't focus or think clearly and I get really angry/on edge. I work in a factory and although it's not necessary/required, I HAVE to wear ear plugs to get through the day. I wonder sometimes if it's linked to my childhood, my mom used to scream at my siblings and I for hours about whatever pissed her off that day. Would usually only end after one of us got "corrected" in front of the others. (Usually by belt, often for something stupid that got interpreted as disrespect... One time, I almost got beat for having hiccups) My  younger brother has told me before that he hates loud noises/yelling too and that's the reason why.

I'm not so sure the mentality is "get over it"... though I've heard similar. It's taken a lot for me to forgive my parents... And I can't forget everything either, but I try to remember that I made the choice to forgive them every time my memories surface. It's not for them. It's for me. It goes back to that mentality you mentioned. I can't move forward if I stay mad. As an adult I have to let go of that resentment or I won't ever get past it. They were responsible for what they did then, but I'm responsible for what I choose to do now... No you can't just "get over it" and yes it takes a lot of time and patience. I was lucky that I was able to talk about this with my siblings who experienced it with me, and that I had friends who were patient enough to listen to me as I vented about it.(repeatedly) Maybe venting to your therapist would help you, if you have no one else. I'm assuming you already see someone, since you said on one of your posts that you think you might have schizophrenia. You are welcome to PM me to vent (not to discuss politics/religion) if you need to talk to someone.

I have nothing to say about circumcision as I don't have children or a penis... So it doesn't really matter what I think. But I do want to say that you even said your mom made that decision based on what a doctor told her, so she was (at least that ONE time) trying to do what she thought was best for you... (An annoying sentiment, I know, but it might help a little to believe she had good intentions at least about this)

Also the statement about rape... Was unnecessary and a poor comparison. You could compare it to how they mutilate female genitalia in other countries. I'm sure they have their reasons for doing what they do as well... Doesn't make it ok... But I'm sure they justify it to themselves somehow.
Well, one way or the other, regardless of what I compare it to, some person/group will call it extreme because of the extent to which the act has been normalized in this day and age. But I honestly feel in some ways that it's worse than rape, or to be more accurate, worse than being raped in one's sleep. In-fact, very comparable in that context. I mean more like getting raped in your sleep if the majority of people acted like it was normal and that, again, you should just get over it. Like, no big deal, you just got raped, it happened in your sleep so you can't even remember it.. so what's the big deal? Right? Keeping in mind that within the context of that hypothetical, pregnancy isn't possible (for whatever reason).  That's actually another one that compares well to the more mild forms of pedophilia. Some random dude touches a kid, he's a monster that needs to burn in hell for all of eternity. Some Dr cuts the end off of a helpless baby's penis (permanently scarring his most sensitive - but now much less sensitive - part), he's just a good Dr doing his job (Just like the Nazi's - Just do your job, don't ask questions; regardless of how extremely wrong it is, and how you're a Dr that should **** well know better..).  But you're right in the sense that my mother didn't know enough to have made the correct decision in that scenario.. The fact that it was even legal in the first place is a pure failure of the system..

On a side note, I've put a lot of thought into it, and in order to directly compare across genders, I believe the closer equivalent would be if the females 'lips' down there were reduced and pulled right back to openly reveal all the sensitive stuff, then abolish all the female underwear stores and replace them with a 5 foot wide underwear section in wal-mart, consisting entirely of 100% cotton underwear (feels like a burlap sack against the sensitive bits, until the feeling goes away in them).. Keeping in mind, I was raised in the 80's and 90's, but even now, in 2020, the underwear situation has not gotten a lot better for males.. You can't walk five feet in a mall without tripping over a women's underwear store.. But I can't even buy men's briefs with a comfortable material in the big city. Boxer briefs maybe (but I don't like those)... I did manage to get five pairs of decent briefs before wal-mart discontinued them cuz reasons.. So now I get to wear five pairs of briefs over two week spans between wash loads (closer to a month these days #lovecorona). Yea, guys can buy them online, but it's kinda screwy that we should have to do that with how many women's underwear stores (FULL STORES) there is..  And yea, I haven't done that because I really don't want to buy something that is unlikely returnable, pay for the shipping and everything, just to find out the material feels the same as hanes/fruit of de loom... Some things just should not be online only purchase...

/end rant.

As for forgiving my mother; frankly I'll never be able to do so internally, until I get to a state in my life at which I'm content. At face value, it may seem childish to blame my mother for all my problems, I'm an adult, I make decisions, yada yada.. But imho, there's a lot more to psychology than people are willing to admit. When you're one of the primary people to shape the mind of a child, it is your responsibility to do so right, that way they don't turn into the next Charles Manson.. I mean, there's a reason why kids that were treated badly, have a higher likelihood of becoming criminals as adults. You can't simply compare their mind to yours and be like "yea.. I went through stuff, I didn't hack up a family and store them in suitcases...". Because everyone's brain is unique, the nature, the nurture. If my nature had been more hateful, or less logical, I could totally see myself being a serial killer.

It's hard to describe though.. Like, we should be more sympathetic to those that have been through things harsh enough to bring them to that point, but at the same time; that could never be a mainstream mentality, as it would open the flood gates to people using mental illnesses as an excuse to murder anyone that they don't like.

Honestly, schizophrenia was fully my own findings, my next appointment with psychiatrist is in June.. Generally 2-4 month gaps in that. But ya, you may have even noticed it in some of my conversations, the thing that tipped me off to that diagnosis. Disordered thoughts and speech. basically talking like Grandpa Simpson, is the best way to describe it to anyone familiar with the show. It doesn't even show as bad as it is sometimes because of my ability to edit on here. For example, I nearly went off on a rant about the Canadian health care system a few sentences back.. But as well, schizophrenia is hereditary, and that would explain a lot.. like why my mother acted like such a nutjob, and even my grandmother, I know little about her, but my uncle has mentioned that he feels something may have been mentally off with her because of how things went down when he was a kid.

Actually, about the noise thing, it's a bit mixed. I mean, it used to be that silence never bothered me, but the more amped up my anxiety gets, the more it does. But ya, sudden loud/repetitious noise will trigger my anxiety worse than silence, even now.. Also, been a while since it's happened, but I used to wake up now and then with my heart beating out of my chest because I heard my mother, or my somewhat abusive boss of several years, scream at me. almost like a ptsd effect or something..

xephier102 said:
Well, one way or the other, regardless of what I compare it to, some person/group will call it extreme because of the extent to which the act has been normalized in this day and age. But I honestly feel in some ways that it's worse than rape, or to be more accurate, worse than being raped in one's sleep. In-fact, very comparable in that context. I mean more like getting raped in your sleep if the majority of people acted like it was normal and that, again, you should just get over it. Like, no big deal, you just got raped, it happened in your sleep so you can't even remember it.. so what's the big deal? Right? Keeping in mind that within the context of that hypothetical, pregnancy isn't possible (for whatever reason).  That's actually another one that compares well to the more mild forms of pedophilia. Some random dude touches a kid, he's a monster that needs to burn in hell for all of eternity. Some Dr cuts the end off of a helpless baby's penis (permanently scarring his most sensitive - but now much less sensitive - part), he's just a good Dr doing his job (Just like the Nazi's - Just do your job, don't ask questions; regardless of how extremely wrong it is, and how you're a Dr that should **** well know better..).  But you're right in the sense that my mother didn't know enough to have made the correct decision in that scenario.. The fact that it was even legal in the first place is a pure failure of the system..

So most of this, mainly what you said in there you touch on some very touchy subjects for people and making comparisons to rape is never okay, ever. Nor are several other remarks you said but I'm not going to get into all of that because I am figuratively at a loss for words.

Sci-Fi said:
xephier102 said:

So most of this, mainly what you said in there you touch on some very touchy subjects for people and making comparisons to rape is never okay, ever.  Nor are several other remarks you said but I'm not going to get into all of that because I am figuratively at a loss for words.
Most people feel that those subjects are untouchable, like those things hurt them so badly that even talking about them is a sort of trigger. For me I feel the same way about circumcision, but most people normalize it and act like it's ok and like I'm just overreacting. All I'm trying to say is, imagine if anyone that had been through those things were treated the same way when speaking of them? That's what it takes to know how I feel. It's not a matter of minimizing those issues, but of adding emphasis to how badly and universally minimized that the issue of circumcision is. What is it that makes the things that I spoke of have that affect on you? More than likely (ultimately) the emotions expressed by those that have been through it, or god forbid, yourself. But to act as my personal feelings on genital mutilation are not comparable, shows a far worse lack of empathy on your part.

Bless you for saying this. Depression and sadness are not the same thing. And you don't have to be a master of human psychology to know that. People need to be more careful before throwing words like depression, bipolar, anxiety attacks so callously.

Latest posts

Back