Depression meds

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panda

Reaction score
(I hope it's alright to post this here, I checked the rules but didn't find anything about this subject- I'll delete it if it's against any rules :))

Anyone taking anti depressants? or have had any experiences with Citalopram, good or bad? I've been put on them (20mg) by my doctor recently so just wondering if anyone's got any experience with them.
I was on meds before this and they were a complete nightmare so I had to stop taking them, which is why I'm trying these now.

thanks,
soph

I hadn't heard of Citalopram yet, so I looked it up... I guess there's different strengths, but it seems to work like most of the other ones... Anyway, I think I read the research right, but anyone can feel free to correct me... I'm not a doctor or anything like that, so it's up to you if you wanna go with anything I say =0)

There was some discussion a couple years ago about taking out one of the ingredients so that the others would work better, but I think maybe then it would be too strong, because when you are on antidepressants supposedly the body produces more serotonin, making you feel all warm and fuzzy inside... or something like that... I think that if you get too much you start to show parkinson's... So... Uh... Yeah, I forgot where I was going with that... {edit* I remember now... You should stick with the dose your doc tells you to take... If you take any more than you are supposed to it will only cause more problems }Lol... The website did say it interacted with oocytes and something about invitro... A lot of it was over my head, but as long as you aren't pregnant or don't plan on becoming pregnant any time soon you'll be fine.

Still, you probably won't start to feel anything for a month more (pubmed says 4-6 weeks)... So depending on when you started, just stick with them but if you start to feel any worse from it you should talk to your doc again... The stuff is working with the cells in your brain, so some people might have a reaction to the med... In that case they can find you another med that works with different chemical receptors and all that...

Don't give up though, that stuff really can help, I took some antidepressants a couple years ago so I could stop feeling so down and work on sorting things out... They helped a lot and since I've been a LOT better of from being able to get out of my own head for a while, ya know?

Wow, long reply... Sorry, hope that helps some...

i took anti-depressants for god, almost 4 years. at first they worked but eventualy my body got use to them so my doc would put me on something else. well a few months ago i had really bad suicide blow ups, and one happend at my school, and the campus police got involved my counciler and the nurse, well the nurse look up the meds i was takeing and one of the side effects were increased manic episodes and suicidal thoughts in teens. after that happend i just kicked the basterds once in for all. it works differently for everyone, so im sure how youll react to them, just keep your eyes opend for any negitive change in yourself.

Freakin_Amazin said:
Although one time I felt so bad I drank too much alcohol =( bad idea, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Depends on the situation... When you do it in the right context it can be great fun.

-This has been a public service annoncement from Fodderboy-

"DRINK UP, KIDS!!!"

i was put on paxil when i was younger to control my anxiety, but then switched to lexpro the last few years, which is a type of anti-depressant, but can also be used to treat anxiety. I haven't had any major problems with it other than just being drowsy at times.

I've always said the best anti-depressant is a big ol' bag of cryp-a-dip. Comes out of the ground so it's all natural, makes ya feel like a million bucks, and makes everything from movies to books to just sitting on the couch that. much. better.

I took Seroxat for 15 years. I had quite a job coming off them.

I now take mirtazapine 45mg - they are great as a sleep aid. As an anti depressant they are honeysuckle like all the others. They dont stop me crying or feeling suicidal

RobertJW said:
I took Seroxat for 15 years. I had quite a job coming off them.

I now take mirtazapine 45mg - they are great as a sleep aid. As an anti depressant they are honeysuckle like all the others. They dont stop me crying or feeling suicidal
I also took seroxat for 15 years and had a horrendous time coming off them. The doc also made a mistake with dosage and overdosed me, lol. Overdose only discovered when I developed dystonia, laugh now but scary at the time.
I personally feel much better without them but everyone is different.

I have a friend that has suggested I go and see the doctor...currently showing all the signs of stress at work (doing three people's jobs for the last 2 years)...seeing a counsellor to try and remedy personal issues...and also the quiet nights on the sofa where you are uncontrollably upset...

I have refused though...I don't want to take anything and I know that that is what the doctor will encourage me to do...I have read the comments from above and I really feel for all of you...I know the situations you are in...but there is a large part of me that refuses.

I think that even if I got that bad I would end up taking a worse course of action to avoid medication

I don't know if that sounds like the right thing to do but I have seen my mom and my brother on meds and it didn't do them any good...wow...just realised that this must run in my family lol.

Davechaos, I totally understand your feelings about medication and respect your views on it.
I do think that these meds have over the years improved due to scientific research, particularly those for anxiety/depression. If you manage to get one that suits you it can be very beneficial.
I'm not saying that's the road to go down but a good GP will discuss all the implications and of course with the internet so much easier to make an informed choice.
Sorry to hear work is so stressful, employers seem to want so much more these days.

Thanks for the kind words.

It is one of the things with me that going to the doctors may well require me to ask for help...and I am not sure that I could do that. It has been a very long educational year...and I have been doing these three jobs for two years now. I still don't think I need any help from the doctor...I speak to my counsellor once a week and that helps...although of course the draw back with that is that it is upsetting.

If I feel like this in a few weeks time when I have finished they I will ask for help...I will have to because I am assuming you lot will nag me to death lol.

Please do.

I am in the same boat as Davechaos.

I took meds two times in my life. First time after my aunt died. That day after I took the meds, I felt like I was paralyzed, I could not move a limb. I guess that med gave me a bad reaction. The second time was at my uncle's funeral. I was angry that he died, I did not think it was fair, he had a heart attack one month before his wedding and I started crying hysterically when I saw his coffin. So I was offered some meds to calm down. They made me sleep all day long. So depression meds don't really help me , they only knock me out. lol.

After that I did not take any meds cause I also saw other people taking it like Dave did and it did not do them good.

davechaos said:
I have a friend that has suggested I go and see the doctor...currently showing all the signs of stress at work (doing three people's jobs for the last 2 years)...seeing a counsellor to try and remedy personal issues...and also the quiet nights on the sofa where you are uncontrollably upset...

I have refused though...I don't want to take anything and I know that that is what the doctor will encourage me to do...I have read the comments from above and I really feel for all of you...I know the situations you are in...but there is a large part of me that refuses.

I think that even if I got that bad I would end up taking a worse course of action to avoid medication

I don't know if that sounds like the right thing to do but I have seen my mom and my brother on meds and it didn't do them any good...wow...just realised that this must run in my family lol.

Am sorry you have got stuck on them sleepflower. I can understand how addicting something is only cos I used to smoke cigarettes and it took a lot for me to quite them. But where would you be with out this meds. I mean OK now your trying to come of them but there was a reason you started taking them. some ppl with out this meds may not even be here. I would say in that sort of case its better to be addicted then to not have gone on them.

Yeah, Sleepflower is right. They are not easy to get off of. I tried them at some point to curve my anxiety and ended up just dumping the stupid medications altogether when they wouldn't allow me to get a restful good night's sleep.

I was on 75mg of Zoloft and that gave me horrific dreams for about 5 or so days when I just stopped taking it altogether. And that was a low dose. And other medications I've tried just make me feel detached from myself (if that makes any sense). Which would explain why people tend to become more depressed on certain medications.

The science behind these medications doctors admit they don't really know much about (and what they do know could be completely wrong from what the medications really do).

my shrink prescribed me Lexapro. after taking it for about 6 months, it completely made me dizzy at times, tiring(had to take it for work in the morning), drowsiness(started after i started taking Lexapro), WORSE depression and still not being able to sleep.

later on i did a little research and found out that my shrink prescribed me a drug that has the same side effect as my symptom....then i stopped and everything is back to normal, only i have mild insomnia now... im scared to take any anti depressants now fearing its gonna make me crazy again.

sleepflower said:
oh and i told the doctor about the awful withdrawal symptoms, she said she's never heard of that, and basically said i was overexagerating.
Change your GP - seriously

Is it just me or would Anti depressants actually make you more depressed? i mean to be physically taking them would take its toll on your state of mind, and like any drug you end up needing to take more and more just to feel normal. Drugs arnt the answer.

Well I think when you get that far down what ever your taking is not going to be to much of a concern just as long as your feeling better then be for. At lest they are given to you by a doctor and not some drug dealer.

Latest posts

Back