Do you believe the study of body language is legitimate science?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beingnobody

Reaction score
Body language, and study of consciousness is very interesting to me. I do believe there is legitimacy to body language interpretation, but it seems a lot of people are in denial, or resistant to the idea that someone could understand, and possibly even predict someone's behaviors and actions merely through observation.

People seem attached to the notion that we are all "mysterious." Maybe there is security in that notion.

I find that many people become defensive, maybe somewhat combative, when an observer voices observations.

Some body language, I believe, are obvious, and undeniable

So maybe it is best to observe and make conclusions silently and try to find ways to use observations somehow to benefit, but hopefully not advantage. Maybe the perception of being "mysterious" gives some people the feeling of having some advantage and not being vulnerable.

What say ye?

I think body language plays an essential role in how we share information with others. I'd go as far as suggesting our brains prioritize nonverbal communication over verbal communication, when our brain gets a mixed message say it hears, ‘I love you’ but sees a mean face or hears an insincere tone it may prefer the nonverbal cues to the verbal ones.

Yes, it can tell you a lot about a person. I'm usually more aware of a persons body language than anything else, there are people who can spin their words but their body language gives them away. I've had people up and lie right to my face, not always big lies, but sometimes by the way they stand or move makes me think they are not telling me the truth. They either tense up or get all limber and try to act cool and confident like they what they are telling me is the absolute truth. The way people act more than their words makes my spider-sense tingle.

^ Are you sure you weren't just eating Pop Rocks at the time which made you tingle? Ha! ha!

iu

Study of body language is an invaluable tool, and most definitely a dedicated science. Irrespective of social economic, or environment influences, humans react to many situations in predetermined ways. We often like to think that we are cleverer than we are. Yet, many of these actions are fundamental human traits that can be seen within the womb.

Though I think there is definitely something to the "science" of body language, given the diversity of physiology, cultural differences and the ability of people to "fake" or control body language once they're aware of it, one should approach it with caution. For all of those reasons, I wouldn't consider it an "exact science," but perhaps more of a technique to help ascertain the "inner state" of a person under certain stimuli. Though subject to circumstance and personality, I think of body language as providing potential "clues" to a person's disposition rather than providing anything definitive. Not to mention that misreading body language can come at a very high cost. Did that person shift their eyes because they were "guilty" or because they were nervous under scrutiny? Or both? Or neither? How does one interpret such movements beyond a reasonable doubt consistently across the entire human species? Regardless, I've read many police stories where the reading of body language did lead to further clues and eventual convictions, but obviously not based on the body language alone. In more everyday circumstances, one place that people can get into real trouble is trying to determine whether someone is attracted to them or not based on body language. That seems wrought with extreme peril. Monstrous misunderstandings can easily arise from attempting to deconstruct hair flicks, foot positions, voice intonations, eyeline trajectories or hand configurations. I have very little confidence in any of that and it's all easily subject to manipulation. Use extreme caution.

Last edited:
Sure, I think body language can communicate things. It does in a lot of animals, and humans are animals after all.

I think, especially in humans, it communicates how we feel about others and ourselves, on a subconscious level, even if our words say differently. It's almost a "tell" of sorts.

And while it might be un-Christmaslike to talk about conflict today, it's why I wish I had a little more physical size, both growing up and today - so I could communicate to others that they shouldn't get any ideas about trying to push me around. I was always self-conscious about being skinny instead of muscular. Would have saved me a lot of anger and confusion and being down on myself growing up if I was. I think I could have felt a lot happier in my own skin, and could have been a lot more assertive, to the point where I wouldn't have had to learn it, it would have been my natural view of myself and my natural approach to life. Maybe I wouldn't have even had problems in the first place, because no one would have ever thought to try anything.

I wish I had gotten a lot of things like that naturally, instead of having to build myself from almost absolutely nothing. But that's another story.

I think it can be useful and I see how does it work on my own before I can think of it(like close pose, keeping distance etc) and you can take it in mind, but also you should always remember that it can mean nothing. People can control it or sending a false signals for some reasons. Also there are cultural differences and some factors we don't know about(f.e. I touch my neck not because I'm nervous but because I did the stupid things again and now have a pain in my shoulder and pressing a muscle near my neck relief it a little bit)

I'm not sure I understand the question; isn't the study of human behaviors, or manieurisms, already science? Wouldn't body language fall into say, psycology, or anthropology, or whatever logies I don't know about that already exist? I'm sure that "if it itches, you scratch it", for example, is in one of the many existing fields of study of medicine.

Edit: Oh, I just found it! Kinesics; the study of body language. Seems legit to me, lok it up.

Last edited:
Visit Ted talks for some expert opinions on body language. I am a believer but not a reader as it boils down to a series of movements.

Latest posts

Back