Do you forget people easily?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it depends on how I meet them, and I usually don't intentionally forget anybody, it just kind of accidentally happens.

I'm an introverted musician.
In my college years I'd play local shows in a university city and because I'm in the band people would want to talk to me. The trouble of being both introverted and a musician is that music is a social business by default, and I did not understand that at that time.

If I meet people in smaller groups of 2 - 5 I can remember them pretty vividly.
But meeting people in groups larger than that, like meeting 10 - 30 people a night after a show who'd want to talk to me while I'm clinging to my drink for all of my social anxiety, and no, I don't remember them because I was socially anxious.

So the result is that for the next like 3 years (because we did a few other shows in that city when I still lived there) people I didn't remember AT.ALL. would come up to me and just casually start talking to me about the last time we met. And because I'm a very private person with mental health issues I had to become a bit of a linguistic artist of vague responses so I didn't seem like an *******. I STILL don't remember those people, even now.

Similarly, working in retail and learning the registers, the products, my tasks for the day and the amount of time they took to complete all at once, would have me equally in sensory overload, and after the 10th customer they all just became like the same to me. To the point that the 11th customer greeted me with: "Hi! Do you remember me? I was your first customer." And I looked at this woman like a deer in the headlights.

It took some time for me to learn that this happens to me because I have a high attention to detail and so I process information a bit slower than most people because I'm processing more of it at one time. I didn't fully get that explanation until a business owner I worked for explained it to me once. The man was a heathen, but he was very intelligent and so I respected the fact that he built a million dollar business in 20 years out of his backyard from scratch. But that was the explanation he gave to me as to why that happens to me. And then of course like 2 years later his business partner got cold feet about me posing a threat to his position and maxed me out on purpose. :rolleyes: 🤷‍♂️ Whatever, it's ancient history now.

If you've ever seen the movie August Rush, the way that I think is kind of like the way August talks about how he experiences music and sound throughout the movie.

I think it depends on how I meet them, and I usually don't intentionally forget anybody, it just kind of accidentally happens.

I'm an introverted musician.
In my college years I'd play local shows in a university city and because I'm in the band people would want to talk to me. The trouble of being both introverted and a musician is that music is a social business by default, and I did not understand that at that time.

If I meet people in smaller groups of 2 - 5 I can remember them pretty vividly.
But meeting people in groups larger than that, like meeting 10 - 30 people a night after a show who'd want to talk to me while I'm clinging to my drink for all of my social anxiety, and no, I don't remember them because I was socially anxious.

So the result is that for the next like 3 years (because we did a few other shows in that city when I still lived there) people I didn't remember AT.ALL. would come up to me and just casually start talking to me about the last time we met. And because I'm a very private person with mental health issues I had to become a bit of a linguistic artist of vague responses so I didn't seem like an *******. I STILL don't remember those people, even now.

Similarly, working in retail and learning the registers, the products, my tasks for the day and the amount of time they took to complete all at once, would have me equally in sensory overload, and after the 10th customer they all just became like the same to me. To the point that the 11th customer greeted me with: "Hi! Do you remember me? I was your first customer." And I looked at this woman like a deer in the headlights.

It took some time for me to learn that this happens to me because I have a high attention to detail and so I process information a bit slower than most people because I'm processing more of it at one time. I didn't fully get that explanation until a business owner I worked for explained it to me once. The man was a heathen, but he was very intelligent and so I respected the fact that he built a million dollar business in 20 years out of his backyard from scratch. But that was the explanation he gave to me as to why that happens to me. And then of course like 2 years later his business partner got cold feet about me posing a threat to his position and maxed me out on purpose. :rolleyes: 🤷‍♂️ Whatever, it's ancient history now.

If you've ever seen the movie August Rush, the way that I think is kind of like the way August talks about how he experiences music and sound throughout the movie.
That's a really good movie.

Nope. People stick in my memory too clearly. I remember alot. It happens that I recognize some anonymous on an image board to whom I talked to half a year ago and I remember the things about the person - but the person doesn't know me and I have to bring the memories back.

Not if they owe me money.

Seriously though, I like to think that my memory is still good enough to enable me to remember people either by face or name be it those I've directly encountered or otherwise.

Latest posts

Back