Do you forget people easily?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you be more specific? Like people you just met or people you've known that fresia(ed) you over?

I generally tend to have a good memory, whether it's for people or whatever. As for long term situations, I wouldn't say I forget them so much as stop thinking about them so much after a while. I still remember them, they just aren't in the forefront.

I would say no, I remember people pretty easily, whether for good or bad reasons.

I may not think about a person in a while, but if someone or something reminds me of them, I remember the person and how I felt about them fairly easily.

I'm not sure how to explain it really, I guess I'm just good at keeping track of those kinds of things, in my head. Maybe remembering how I felt about the person, is what helps me remember the person themselves.

How about you? What prompted this thought? Do you remember, or forget people easily?

Can you be more specific? Like people you just met or people you've known that fresia(ed) you over?

I generally tend to have a good memory, whether it's for people or whatever. As for long term situations, I wouldn't say I forget them so much as stop thinking about them so much after a while. I still remember them, they just aren't in the forefront.

Forget is definitely the wrong word lol. Like you said stop thinking about or put out of your head. I got back in touch with an old friend after a super long time and today I just noticed it's been weeks. I wanted other peoples stories. Someone they dislike or someone they like. Just interested in how others experience this.

I would say no, I remember people pretty easily, whether for good or bad reasons.

I may not think about a person in a while, but if someone or something reminds me of them, I remember the person and how I felt about them fairly easily.

I'm not sure how to explain it really, I guess I'm just good at keeping track of those kinds of things, in my head. Maybe remembering how I felt about the person, is what helps me remember the person themselves.

How about you? What prompted this thought? Do you remember, or forget people easily?
That second sentence. Remembering how you felt about them is exactly what I was thinking about when I asked this. I got in touch with an old friend and we were catching up, talking about old times new things laughing. I look up and it's like oh it's been a few weeks and it feels like it never happened.

Forget is definitely the wrong word lol. Like you said stop thinking about or put out of your head. I got back in touch with an old friend after a super long time and today I just noticed it's been weeks. I wanted other peoples stories. Someone they dislike or someone they like. Just interested in how others experience this.

I actually have a lot of stories about that. Some with people I like some with people I don't.

I lost touch with an old friend from high school. She moved away, we didn't talk for years, etc etc. When she moved back, it just went back to what it was before she left. It was like no time had passed, at least for me... We both remember the things we did, we both still give each other honeysuckle (in a good natured way).

Now my brother is a different story. We weren't close growing up, but after my grandfather died, we did get close. Then he met the ***** who is now his wife and he changed. Long story short, he disowned me. It's been about six years since he moved and I last saw him. I remember everything, I don't care for him as a person for the things he has done, but if he were to knock on my door needing help, I would let him in. He's family and regardless of whether he considers me his sister or not, he is still my brother.

Now those are just two stories of some of the people I care about. I won't go into the stories I have about those I don't care about.

I actually have a lot of stories about that. Some with people I like some with people I don't.

I lost touch with an old friend from high school. She moved away, we didn't talk for years, etc etc. When she moved back, it just went back to what it was before she left. It was like no time had passed, at least for me... We both remember the things we did, we both still give each other honeysuckle (in a good natured way).

Now my brother is a different story. We weren't close growing up, but after my grandfather died, we did get close. Then he met the ***** who is now his wife and he changed. Long story short, he disowned me. It's been about six years since he moved and I last saw him. I remember everything, I don't care for him as a person for the things he has done, but if he were to knock on my door needing help, I would let him in. He's family and regardless of whether he considers me his sister or not, he is still my brother.

Now those are just two stories of some of the people I care about. I won't go into the stories I have about those I don't care about.
I have 2 similar situations. The old friend I mentioned was from age 10-13 then 15-22 then now again 10 years later and it was a lot like old times.

I also haven't talked to my sister in a very long time, her choice. I tried recently and no luck.

I think I do. But, history proves otherwise. I've had quite a few people come up to me and say my name and ask me how I've been. I swear I've never seen them before in my life. Ha! ha! Remembering anybody's name is a real challenge for me too. I kept calling my last girlfriend by the name of the girl before her. But, in my defense they were both Asian. I'm just saying. Ha! Ha!

I think I do. But, history proves otherwise. I've had quite a few people come up to me and say my name and ask me how I've been. I swear I've never seen them before in my life. Ha! ha!
Haha I get this all the time, I've no bloody idea who they are but pretend I remember them really well and hope they give me a clue during any conversation.

Haha I get this all the time, I've no bloody idea who they are but pretend I remember them really well and hope they give me a clue during any conversation.
A few times it really bothered me because they accurately talked about things I did in the past, I remember those. But, then some of the things they said we did together. And I'm like, say what? They would describe the situation with lots of detail I forgot and I was like oh yeah. But, I still never remembered them. At first I thought these people were just trying to use my crazy experiences as a way to enhance their belief that they too were crazy back in the day. But, it's happened too many times for that. Oh well. It's all good. Ha! ha!

I would forget myself if I didn't see myself in the mirror every morning. I forget a lot and names I can almost never remember. But then I've always lived in a fog of forgetfulness. There are whole years of my life I can't remember and I don't remember much of my kids being young. That pisses me off. I've learned to 'fake it' very well and beat around the bush 'till my brain catches up and maybe drops some hints so I'm not so lost.

No, I don't, especially if they have hurt me. Still remember some cruel and racist things my fourth grade teacher said to me for example. Or the girl who hated me in first grade for no reason and then told everyone not to be friends with me.

Yes, I can hold a grudge and it's not something I am proud of. I think I remember them still because these were one of many events that has shaped my perception of myself and the world around me for years. I am unhappy that the people who did this get to live a life unaffected without knowing the damage they have done to others. I know this is not a popular opinion but it's really how I feel.

Yes. I find very difficult to remember people's faces.

My guess is that this is because of the sever myopia that I have, that makes difficult for me to really see the details on somebody's face unless I stare, which makes people uncomfortable, so most of the time I tend not to look in to people faces that much and for that reason I tend to forget them all the time.

No, I don't, especially if they have hurt me. Still remember some cruel and racist things my fourth grade teacher said to me for example. Or the girl who hated me in first grade for no reason and then told everyone not to be friends with me.

Yes, I can hold a grudge and it's not something I am proud of. I think I remember them still because these were one of many events that has shaped my perception of myself and the world around me for years. I am unhappy that the people who did this get to live a life unaffected without knowing the damage they have done to others. I know this is not a popular opinion but it's really how I feel.
I’ve always held a grudge until I started seeing my son do that and it was hard to see him holding onto negativity when the other person could not care less. I’ve attempted to convince him to abandon the anger or do something about it. It just hurts to see your child get stuck in this mindset. So either, handle it or get over if. The latter I do believe is the better option for some people. Me, I’m all about payback but I’m not really sensitive and he is.

I guess that this is kind of a mixed question for me because when I was younger growing up, I tried to forget things that were happening to me with other people. I did it so well that there are times (gaps) in my past that are blank to me forgotten childhood, forgotten teenage years forgotten young adult years. My mental disorder did not help with this it wasn't until I finally when I went to years of therapy that I was able to remember fragments of my past some very painful. others happy, what I struggled a lot with was something my psychologist and my therapist recommended to me (forgiveness, understanding) to forgive these people and the most difficult to forgive myself because there has bin many circumstances where I was my own greatest enemy, I had a very broken self-worth and self-esteem issue.

Forgiveness is a tricky thing. Some things, some people’s actions are simply unforgivable, for me at least. I’ve discovered that acceptance is more in my grasp. Accepting certain wrongs that were out of my control has been my coping mechanism and that, along with time, has made me a stronger individual.

yea forgiveness is very tricky mostly in cases when others don't forgive you back and also with those who never ask to be forgiven and are under the impression that they never did anything wrong in the first place. So, I do understand that forgiveness isn't easy

Latest posts

Back