Do you have any balms for lonelines?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TropicalStarfish

Reaction score
Do you have any radio shows, online games you play, live streams, etc., that you, 'tune,' into, or, 'join in,' to help stave off loneliness? I suppose it could be anything; like this forum of course. What is your go-to to help stave off the loneliness?

Recently, I've taken to listening to Coast to Coast AM, to, ever so slightly, stave off loneliness. For me, it's live radio, and you can even call in, and possibly ask a question or say your piece. Some times the subject matter is a bit too out there for my tastes; but, it helps me to feel less alone, when the lineup is palatable. I know that, somewhere, out there, there are thousands of people like me, hearing the same thing I am, at nearly exactly the same time as I am. We may not know eachother; but, we are sharing the same experience.

A year or so ago, I also took to Twitch.tv, to help stave off loneliness; but, lately, it's more and more noticeable how wretched Amazon, as a company is, and how it just filters through everything they do. It provides a shared experience; but, it's so overly engineered, commercialized, and you have in groups and out groups: politics, favorites, power hungry mods, and just the fact that Amazon is fricken gross. So, I end up feeling worse off for tuning into a Twitch streamer, some times, than I would have otherwise.

Spotify for music and podcasts.
Second is online courses. I learnt 3d modelling, texturing and some game dev stuff on Pluralsight. Udemy is also okay. There are some really good channels on youtube for learning too. Keeping the mind busy helps to stave off loneliness in my opinion.
Games can also be a good distraction, been playing Cyberpunk mostly these days.

Do you have any radio shows, online games you play, live streams, etc., that you, 'tune,' into, or, 'join in,' to help stave off loneliness? I suppose it could be anything; like this forum of course. What is your go-to to help stave off the loneliness?

Recently, I've taken to listening to Coast to Coast AM, to, ever so slightly, stave off loneliness. For me, it's live radio, and you can even call in, and possibly ask a question or say your piece. Some times the subject matter is a bit too out there for my tastes; but, it helps me to feel less alone, when the lineup is palatable. I know that, somewhere, out there, there are thousands of people like me, hearing the same thing I am, at nearly exactly the same time as I am. We may not know eachother; but, we are sharing the same experience.

A year or so ago, I also took to Twitch.tv, to help stave off loneliness; but, lately, it's more and more noticeable how wretched Amazon, as a company is, and how it just filters through everything they do. It provides a shared experience; but, it's so overly engineered, commercialized, and you have in groups and out groups: politics, favorites, power hungry mods, and just the fact that Amazon is fricken gross. So, I end up feeling worse off for tuning into a Twitch streamer, some times, than I would have otherwise.
Series on Amazon Prime, the Originals at the moment, praying, drawing, writing or just crocheting, which helps me to stop thinking. My mind often is full of thoughts and it's good to find something to relax. I wished I could be around someone without the need to speak. Sometimes being in public helps.

Second is online courses. I learnt 3d modelling, texturing and some game dev stuff on Pluralsight. Udemy is also okay. There are some really good channels on youtube for learning too. Keeping the mind busy helps to stave off loneliness in my opinion.
I dumped Spotify. Amazon prime now.
They did not have resources like Pluralsite and Udemy when I learned to model in 3D. I learned by banging my head against the wall a gozillion times.

Attachments

• 20200827_120111.jpg
    20200827_120111.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 37
Which podcasts do you listen to, if you are to share?

I used do the Joe Rogan podcast, a little bit more regularly; he has some pretty bright intellectuals in the archives. Over the past year or two, though, his guest lineups and topics haven't been as interesting. Lex Friedman caters to the more intellectual stuff; but, I don't really feel like his guest lineups offer much of anything new.

I'm not really a fan of either one them, really; but, they do have some decent guests on from time to time.

Other than that, I haven't really explored many streamcasts. I find it hard to sit still and just listen, I usually have to be busying myself to do that, and then I can't always take all of it in. I feel like a long drive would make it easiest to sit through a 1 to 3 hour recorded 1 on 1.

Series on Amazon Prime, the Originals at the moment, praying, drawing, writing or just crocheting, which helps me to stop thinking. My mind often is full of thoughts and it's good to find something to relax. I wished I could be around someone without the need to speak. Sometimes being in public helps.
I wish I had a talent for drawing. I come up with great ideas for drawings every now and then; but, I just can't translate it from my brain to my hand and on to the paper. Every now and then I'll sketch a scenic landscape though, like every few years, heh.

And yeah, being around some one with out needing to speak... It's nice to be able to enjoy comfortable silence..

I haven't really ever found solitary activities to be suitable in helping to assuage loneliness. Usually, that's what I find most difficult in times of intense loneliness. Lately, I've been making an effort to try and make time to be alone, however. To try and spend some time with myself, and sort of, 'get with that,' rather than trying to avoid it.

Latest posts

Back