Do you use other sites to meet people ?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManDss

Reaction score
Im always thinking what other sites to meet people online are out there.

Ive joined to many (a lot) of mental health forums, just to meet people, but in all this forums most people dont want to chat, or are just a few who I dont get along.

Im always thinking "hmm, should be a site, more simple, more specific, that the main porpouse is to meet people that, you know, deal with loneliness, depression, etc", because forums, like this, arent just about meet people.

Mental health forums are 85% about people just venting, 7% about people using it for chit chat conversations, 7% for debating and 1% for people looking to actually talk and meet other people. And I think that 1% is just an error in the equation, maybe just a quarter of that 1% want to meet people.

Some tell me to use other kind of sites, but I want to meet people who "know how is this", this kind of problems, but... sometimes seems like just a fantasy. Like "what? Meet people online who also deal with depression and you get along with them ? Thats like win the lottery 3 times in 1 week! U are maniac if u think thats possible".

Hmm, it does seem like a lot of people are more reserved on this site. I wonder if it was always like this since I heard this site used to be quite busy back in the day.

I have met a couple of people on here but it always seemed like they weren't interested in the conversation or they seem interested and then dissappear after a bit.

Either that's on account of their reserved nature or I am just uninteresting 😅

Sorry I'm not sure I understand what kind of meeting are you having in your mind ... could you be more graphical

Sorry I'm not sure I understand what kind of meeting are you having in your mind ... could you be more graphical

Well, text chat first. A site where you know the people is there is up to chat. Send a message "hi, how are you", and then chat.

I think you have to open a thread here where you describe what kind of person would you like to chat with, what topics and what are your expectations on a longer term

Im always thinking what other sites to meet people online are out there.

Ive joined to many (a lot) of mental health forums, just to meet people, but in all this forums most people dont want to chat, or are just a few who I dont get along.

Im always thinking "hmm, should be a site, more simple, more specific, that the main porpouse is to meet people that, you know, deal with loneliness, depression, etc", because forums, like this, arent just about meet people.

Mental health forums are 85% about people just venting, 7% about people using it for chit chat conversations, 7% for debating and 1% for people looking to actually talk and meet other people. And I think that 1% is just an error in the equation, maybe just a quarter of that 1% want to meet people.

Some tell me to use other kind of sites, but I want to meet people who "know how is this", this kind of problems, but... sometimes seems like just a fantasy. Like "what? Meet people online who also deal with depression and you get along with them ? Thats like win the lottery 3 times in 1 week! U are maniac if u think thats possible".
I think it is this٫everyone is different٫and everyone will always be different٫no matter what site you go on٫you will not meet someone that is exactly like you.

The internet is a mixed bag when it comes to people. In my experience i've met some great people who i still chat to now even after meeting them years ago, but in recent years it's been quite hard to have consistent chats with people because they know it's the internet and they can just walk away via blocking etc. Years ago it irked me, but now i just don't care anymore and move on. No point dwelling on someone who doesn't care about you or even wants to speak with you 😜 .

Hmm, it does seem like a lot of people are more reserved on this site. I wonder if it was always like this since I heard this site used to be quite busy back in the day.

I have met a couple of people on here but it always seemed like they weren't interested in the conversation or they seem interested and then dissappear after a bit.

Either that's on account of their reserved nature or I am just uninteresting 😅
The majority just want a free listening ear to hear all their chat. They will gladly meet up with you if you are near and they can go on and on with you just listening - like a free therapist in a way - but as soon as it has to be equal, or you dont' want to hear all that, it goes wrong. Its the same in the forums. Most seem to believe the forum is a lot of free listening ears - but if everyone was like that the forum would end up closing down because everyone is only wanting to take and not give. No therapist is going to come here giving free advice and solutions and a listening ear so the quality of the free listening ear is often not up to much. I read a post earlier where someone said they had nowhere they could go locally to meet people. Instead of people accepting that - and accepting they knew their area, they start telling them to go and find people to meet. Totally ignoring what they said. A genuine listening ear takes in what the other person says before they reply.

I don't often meet people, people meet me, if that makes any sense.
Me entire life is this weird lesson that there's no single community that I nicely fit into.
It's been that way since I was a kid. I often had friends that I couldn't introduce to each other because I knew they wouldn't get along peacefully due to differences in personality types.

Anyway this is a chicken and egg situation. You get people who are unemployed and unemployable, very shy, mental health issues, no spare money on such sites - anyone with these issues is not going to say much or stand out. It is part or all of why they have issues with getting a job, being sorted and making friends in the first place.

Anyway this is a chicken and egg situation. You get people who are unemployed and unemployable, very shy, mental health issues, no spare money on such sites - anyone with these issues is not going to say much or stand out. It is part or all of why they have issues with getting a job, being sorted and making friends in the first place.
Definitely ... not all people are lonely because of "benign" reasons ... I'm looking for a partner with compatible faults and troubles

I think the Internet and the times we live in today in general, just aren't as conducive to social connections.

People used to be a lot more inclusive, and less judgemental, and less particular, and times weren't as hard. Also, we were all younger.

The newer generations, for about the last decade, all grew up on facebook, and whatever. So their actual friends, were their online friends. In the 90's and 2000's, you didn't have the faceborks, so you'd actually meet people online. And things weren't as crazy as they are becoming, politically, geopolitically, and economically.

People generally use Discord, or Slack, now I think, for real time chat. I dont think anybody uses messengers anymore, except for facebook messenger; but, that doesn't really count. People don't use skype now, they use zoom.

So, those of us that remember a different Internet, are older now, more set in our ways, more established in our relationships and probably more exclusionary. And the younger generation is busy tiktoking and whatsapping with their RL friends...

There was a golden age of Internet. It wasn't perfect, but, it's mostly gone now. Even meetup.com probably isn't very popular anymore...

---
So In answer to your question, OP, I don't know. I know Discord chat rooms can be a way to connect; but, in my experience, even there, it's mostly just radio silence and cliques and exclusivity. People pair off pretty quick and stick with who they are with.

Lotsofladieswithbigtits.com is my go to.
Then I wake up.
Them I wake up from that.
So no 🤪

No. I'm not currently even using this site with the intention of meeting people. I just spend time on the games section, reply to whatever posts pique my interest and generally loiter around with no particular intent.

I don't know if any sites. I spend so much time at work and with the kids that I don't have time or freedom to go out and try to meet people. And even if I met someone I could hang out with, I don't have the time to do that. Wish I could find a site and be able to meet and chat/visit with someone who can relate with and understand depression - just as you mentioned. But it seems as if this is a bit of a fantasy.

Good friendships take time and a real investment. I just don't seem to have the time. Such is life.

I never used this site to meet people. Not with the way I started here. But I did meet one great friend.

Latest posts

Back