DONT USE SOCIAL MEDIA!!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shun

Reaction score
Before the internet it was pretty easy to convince yourself that everyone else was just as much a loser as you were. Having the contrary thrown in your face via SOCIAL MEDIA!! ( probably fake, but seeing is believing) doesn't help.

Also self acclaimed loser here ( by societies stupid standard at least) . Not insulting anyone Incase it came across like that.

P s. First post ever on the internet.. I've been lurking for decades...ummm...ahhh...that's it.

You're only a "loser" if you think you are one. Doesn't matter what everyone else believes, doesn't matter what society believes. The only things that matter are what you think and what you do.
Social media is no different than anything else. People brag, people show the good side, they usually don't talk about the bad aspects of their life, the same as they do in real life. You don't know what their life is really like behind closed doors. Seeing is not believing. Seeing is just seeing what other people want you to see. Maybe it's the truth, maybe it's not, but that's no different than you saying you assuming "society" sees you as a loser.

Welcome to ALL

Social media makes it harder to justify to yourself that you are living a good life.

Back then, when celebrities appeared on TV it was easy to say " of course their lives are great, they are 'better' then me". But now because of social media you see people who are essentially you but just better and their lives are great and it's easy to convince yourself that you are the problem.

Finally I don't actually believe the posts on social media, but it's hard to stay strong in a vacuum.

Social media WILL worsen your depression, the monkey brain is too primitive( seeing IS believing). So don't use it .

Thank you, Shun

There are plenty of people who use social media and it doesn't impact their lives and worsen their depression. You choose to believe what you see, you choose to let it bother you instead of doing something about it.

That may not be what you want to hear. You may get pissed and attack me for saying it. But you are the one in charge of what you believe, you are the one in control of what you do. If social media isn't for you, that's fine, but others can have different opinions. Social media is what you make it, just like your life is what you make it.

You're only a "loser" if you think you are one. Doesn't matter what everyone else believes, doesn't matter what society believes. The only things that matter are what you think and what you do.
Social media is no different than anything else. People brag, people show the good side, they usually don't talk about the bad aspects of their life, the same as they do in real life. You don't know what their life is really like behind closed doors. Seeing is not believing. Seeing is just seeing what other people want you to see. Maybe it's the truth, maybe it's not, but that's no different than you saying you assuming "society" sees you as a loser.

Welcome to ALL
I think calling yourself a loser is so reductive and shirks responsibility.

Of course having a healthy mindset is best, but the human brain recalls negative emotions such as anger and regret easier than it does positive ones like joy.

Being happy with yourself takes effort, social media is a net negative on this scale and I don't believe it is worth it.

And I think I am in the wrong here as I have conflated this specific cause of depression with depression in general.

My bad, Shun

Also what I meant by 'societies standard of loser' is people who are portrayed in media as 'losers' and when real people embody those certain characteristics.

Just clarifying, Shun

Final clarification since my OP is kind of nonsensical.

I think as people grow older we realise other ppl aren't better than us, everybody has problems. And this is true.

But unfortunately humans suffer main character syndrome, our own problems are always magnified in our perspective.

And when you see posts where everyone else always seem to be enjoying themselves, even if intellectually you know that it isn't true ( and obviously they are only posting the good stuff) it will degrade your mental well being, cause Seeing IS Believing.

Example. We know Global warming is real but since we aren't constantly bombarded with this information ( the average layperson) , the majority of us forget about it in our day to day lives.

On the opposite hand even if we know it's not true, being constantly being thrown how great other ppl have it in our face is bad for your mental health.

Ok I'm done , Shun

Final clarification since my OP is kind of nonsensical.

I think as people grow older we realise other ppl aren't better than us, everybody has problems. And this is true.

But unfortunately humans suffer main character syndrome, our own problems are always magnified in our perspective.

And when you see posts where everyone else always seem to be enjoying themselves, even if intellectually you know that it isn't true ( and obviously they are only posting the good stuff) it will degrade your mental well being, cause Seeing IS Believing.

Example. We know Global warming is real but since we aren't constantly bombarded with this information ( the average layperson) , the majority of us forget about it in our day to day lives.

On the opposite hand even if we know it's not true, being constantly being thrown how great other ppl have it in our face is bad for your mental health.

Ok I'm done , Shun
All very good points,and all very true.

Social media is based all on what you believe it is and make it out to be,if you believe it is a good thing,then it is a good thing,if you believe it is a bad thing,then it is a bad thing.

Well, it depends on how you decide to use said platforms. If you're using them to follow the herd mentality, you'll probably be disappointed. No one posts pics with captions that say, 'this is my real life!' With the kitchen dirty, the living room a mess, dinner all messed up, and their partner in a state of undress that should embarrass them. And probably a bunch of unruly crotch crickets

Well, it depends on how you decide to use said platforms. If you're using them to follow the herd mentality, you'll probably be disappointed. No one posts pics with captions that say, 'this is my real life!' With the kitchen dirty, the living room a mess, dinner all messed up, and their partner in a state of undress that should embarrass them. And probably a bunch of unruly crotch crickets

Isn't that how everything is, though, even real life? You either go your own way or you follow herd mentality.

At the end of the day, you are responsible for what you choose to believe. It's just easier to blame other things than the real reason you feel the way you do.

When Fakebook(facebook) first came out I thought what a stupid concept. Who the hell is going to post all their private information, pictures, activities, etc, etc, etc for everybody else to see? I was sure it would quickly fail. But, to my amazement most people seem to enjoy doing that. I would laugh when I saw on the news how criminals would use all the information they posted against them. I.E. "I'll be on vacation, this is my house, nobody will be home, this is all the stuff I have. See you in two weeks!" But, people just kept doing it. Then I looked up and saw that Fakebook stored all their information in databases in China, before Cloud (which is another issue). I thought, hmmm, that seems really stupid. But okay.

Then I watched everybody freely giving out their other personal information to anybody that asked for it. I, myself, hid everything except what was public information via government websites (aholes!). I locked all three credit reporting agencies too. Now businesses, banks, etc, can no longer identify who I am. I discovered that the government has automatically deemed that everybody's driver's license, SSN, and other very personal information has been compromised. So, in order to identify someone now companies are supposed to rely on information data brokers which pulls their information from social media sites, public information sites, and other BS unreliable Internet gather sites. So, the BS crappy information is now considered factual. Unbelievable!

No different than every day interaction, you need only discern whom is best to converse and share energies with. Unfortunately, vast majority of social media has become birds of a feather flock together than 'actual' correspondence. You see 'less' socializing on social media. More, I'm right, do you agree with me?

That being said, ALWAYS take how people view you on the internet with a grain of salt. I used to be similar to you and over-time had to grow armor and now more impartial to anyone's views of me. If you can't be triggered than you can't be hurt. If you need to trigger someone, then you lack self-respect for yourself and the other human being.

As-salamu alaykum ☮️❤️

Latest posts

Back