Facing the fact I'm superficial and not worth knowing

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ardour

Well known loser
Reaction score
I was thinking about attending another 'professional singles' meetup in the city tonight.

I usually browse the attend list first... This time there's only about 2 women I could find attractive on that list of 150+, and they would probably be the no-shows. Most looked like middle aged divorcees, along with men in their 40's and 50's. Middle aged faces everywhere. Everyone dressed age appropriate office garb. Pics of people having a good time dancing from a previous event. Well it looked like an after work get-together in a large law firm, or a PPTA meeting. Jesus, these are my peers? My subconscious/lower brain is thinking 'where are all the younger women'? Where are the younger guys who still do the things I'm interested in? Why are these old people out like that - shouldn't they be at home managing their superannuation or planning their next venture into the property market? This is how I think at almost 43. I know I'd be uncomfortable there, with just the possibility of an older person (in reality is not that much older than me) trying to talk to me with dating in mind.

Last edited:
Honestly, maybe just go, maybe see what happens? Try and go into it with an open mind, you dont have to find them attractive or anything like that, but don't you think you could get to know some people? 😇

It's not necessarily who you meet there, but the potential for further networking, and who they might introduce you to.

Ummmm, you should totally go. Many of those old people have kids that you might very well want to date. Making a great impression with mom / dad might get you in the door. The old people always complain that their kids are dating jerks and idiots. Be creative about finding what you want.
"Hey mate... you have a daughter?" That'll go down well🤪

Last edited:
It's not necessarily who you meet there, but the potential for further networking, and who they might introduce you to.
This was my first thought, too. Worst case scenario, you meet some new "friends". I'm not a big social butterfly, but I def see the benefits in networking, even if it's an old-people's singles meeting.

Wow, that's tough, because even if you do manage to meet a much younger woman, she'll eventually get older and age. Would you lose your attraction to her as she ages? People look young for such a short time of their lives. Some surgery might help, but even that won't stop all aging forever. I don't know what to say besides that you're in a really tough spot.

But I'll join the crowd in saying that you should attend. Don't put any pressure on yourself to meet anyone, just go and mingle. I sometimes like to just practice socializing. I set the bar low for myself: if I don't make a fool of myself, then I succeeded. I have failed a few times, but, well, you only get better with practice.

Wow, that's tough, because even if you do manage to meet a much younger woman, she'll eventually get older and age. Would you lose your attraction to her as she ages?
Hopefully we'd have a bond by that point. It's different missing out on dating/relationships altogether when you're young, then finding the only realistic options are other old people.

Last edited:
You overthink everything and find any conceivable way to talk yourself out of the possibility of a positive outcome. You aren't giving yourself a chance dude.

Latest posts

Back