Favorite book or books

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 188685

sunflower lover
Reaction score
What are your favorite books or book?My favorite books are honest illusions and the night circus,I would definitely recommend them both,just a note,they are romance.

Tossup between The Anathema of Zos by Austin Osman Spare, and The Kybalion by Three Initiates.

The Kybalion is much more dense, but The Anathema of Zos is more abstract and obscure.

Of honorable mentions there's a novel called House of Leaves I'm fond of by Mark Z. Danielewski.

Tossup between The Anathema of Zos by Austin Osman Spare, and The Kybalion by Three Initiates.

The Kybalion is much more dense, but The Anathema of Zos is more abstract and obscure.

Of honorable mentions there's a novel called House of Leaves I'm fond of by Mark Z. Danielewski.
My house is a former residence of Austin Osman Spare's, I write and compose most of my music in what was his art studio, I reckon we'll both share the same epitaph " The mystical artist who could have been a star but ended his life in obscurity and poverty " 🎸

My house is a former residence of Austin Osman Spare's, I write and compose most of my music in what was his art studio, I reckon we'll both share the same epitaph " The mystical artist who could have been a star but ended his life in obscurity and poverty " 🎸

That's actually incredibly badass. (y)
And yes, many a great LHP occultists and spiritualists throughout the Western world did indeed have some form or another of artistic articulation and most did indeed die in poverty, as did most classical composers. (y)
It's kind of part for the course if you delve into those worlds, really.
His development of Zos Kia was immensely ahead of his time, and the obscurity of it for the timeframe it came from is perhaps where he found his medium for his creativity.
Spare was a **** genius and a child prodigy, nobody questions that. 😂
It's unfortunate that he's lost on much of modern society.

It's unfortunate that he's lost on much of modern society.
Yeah, it's weird that he's still relatively unknown when his influence and fingerprints are all over modern pop culture. There are tonnes of artists, writers and musicians that have been influenced by Spare, he's undoubtedly the father of chaos magick, the postmodern version of occultism that shows you how to create your own rules for reality.

I've been keeping a record of books I've read since 2002. I'm up to my 328th book. I score them out of ten and write a two line blurb to help my recall of it. I often find new authors at cheap bargain bin sales or markets. We have a really good secondhand bookstore in town, which I'm happy about.

Some that I gave a 10/10 were; Dancers at the End of Time by Michael Moorcock, Kane & Abel by Jeffrey Archer, Catch 22 by Joseph Heller, The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie, Darkness Take My Hand by Dennis Lehane, The Lying Room by Nicci French.

Some great 9/10 were; Stallo by Stefan Spjut, Road to Mars by Eric Idle, Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, The Bride Stripped Bare by NJ Gemmel, Fraternity of the Stone by David Morrell, Silver's Edge by Anne Kelleher, The Murder Bird by Joanna Hines, Of Bees and MIst by Erick Setiawan, Doctor Salt by Gerard Donovan, The 1st Chronicles of Druss by David Gemmell, American Tabloid by James Ellroy, Children of Fire by Drew Karpyshyn, All Their Minds in Tandem by David Sanger

Anything by Lianne Moriarty, Belinda Bauer, John Connolly, Tim Severin, Jonathan Stroud, Sara Paretsky and James Lee Burke are worth reading.

Finally, if you want just a nice, pleasant feel good book that would make a good movie try The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher.

I read a lot but haven't sat down with a meaty book since the Game of Thrones books pissed me off.
I used to read all of Tom Clancy, James Patterson (YA, not murders), John Grisham, Terry Brooks (LOVE anything he does), Clive Cussler, Stephen King, Janet Evanovich, Charlaine Harris....
Now, I read quick little love stories at night to fall asleep.
Oh... and I re-read self help books. A lot. A lot, a lot.... LOLOL

colourless tsukuru tazaki and his years of pilgrimage, by of course, Murakami;
It's a great story about loneliness, and a guy who feels like he doesn't belong. Please give this a read, i am giving a bareboned summery.

Stoner by John Williams;
It's a book about a completely average man who excels in nothing, and lives his life as a nobody.

A Dutch book but it's called, Wat je van bloed weet.
It's about a guy who grows up in a abusive household, just very realistically written, not always written the best, but very realistic.

Tiger Tiger, by Margaux fragoso;
About a girl growing up sexually abused by a pedofile. It's great raw book, cried while reading this. Not very well written at times but its just such a good book. And i'm not saying its a good book because it's ''deep'' but you can just really feel the emotions while reading it.

These aren't per se my all time favourite books, but just ones I come back to a lot, and thought about a lot.

My favorite writer was Jules Vernes, it's the guy that inspired steampunk culture in France ^^ !

Otherwise, "l'étranger" is a fantastic read (In french)

Childhood: R.L. Stine (Goosebumps)
Teenage: Christopher Pike (Fear Street, The Last Vampire)
Adult: Chris Wooding (Braided Path)

Those are what came to mind instantly. I was a voracious reader from a young age until my mid-20s, then at 30 (when I was homeless for a few years) it picked up heavily again.

Since being housed and no longer on the streets, I'll freely admit, I've not really returned to my reading.. which is something I DO want to rectify.

✌️

Latest posts

Back