Favorite thing?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 188522

Reaction score
Hi Forum, I need to get out of my head today; I would like to lighten up.
So my question to you is,
What is your favorite possession, and why?
Mine is a 1950 telephone that I found at a thrift shop. My enjoyment comes from imaging all the people who had used it before I owned it.

It's shallow but definitely my phone! It connects me and it's impossible to do banking or administration without one here. Also I read books on it which is easier than going to the library.

Plus my bike because I need it to get around (I can't walk far).

Both are replaceable so there's no sentimental attachment, I just wouldn't want to have to do without them.

I don't think I can narrow it down to one! I have lots of things I love and cherish. I'll list two of the most special:

#1 - The photo album of my parent's wedding in 1962. They divorced in 1986 - not because they fell out of love or hated each other or anything like that. My dad had a mental illness (Bipolar) and my mum just couldn't handle it. It was hard on them, of course, but through it all they remained close friends until the day they died. My mum remarried, my Dad never did. My mum was devastated when my Dad died - she had a little heart keepsake made of his ashes. It may sound a little corny, but they taught me the power of enduring love, how to properly nurture relationships and friendships and how life may not turn out exactly how you had planned but you deal with it in the best way you can. And kudos to my stepfather too - he was always very supportive of the close relationship between my parents and wasn't ever jealous of it. I think it takes a special man to do that.

#2 - A small wood pendant carved out of a single block of wood that my husband and son recently made for me. It's made from walnut and in the shape of the Celtic symbol for family. It's amazing, so beautiful and so meaningful. I am a lucky woman!

I recently tried to downsize my stuff, which has made me realize the things I have around me that I really value versus the impulsive junk I bought without using both hemispheres of my brain.

A 1905 hand-cranked Edison Cylinder phonograph that I restored (with help from Australia). It "mostly" plays, but it needs a push once in a while. Here it is with its top off:
IMG_7457.JPG

I really like Inuit art and I have a few original Kinngait prints. Here is one (a juicy pile of walruses):
1644540470720.png

More Inuit art: a hand-carved narwhal from 1950 that I purchased in Ottawa a few years ago (I made sure that it came with the "official" igloo tag) - the tusk (which is actually a tooth) is carved from bone:

IMG_0229.JPG

I also have copies of a few books that have drawings of mine published in them. Those were a few rare surprises that came out of the blue.

I try not to get too attached to "things," but keeping a few things around that have real meaning is a good thing.

Last edited:
Am I allowed to pick my dog. I would be lost without a dog.

Failing that, my tools. Like many guys, I have many tools, some that I made, some that might only do one specific task. Yet, I know them all as if they are people with distinctive different personalities.

I recently tried to downsize my stuff, which has made me realize the things I have around me that I really value versus the impulsive junk I bought without using both hemispheres of my brain.

A 1905 hand-cranked Edison Cylinder phonograph that I restored (with help from Australia). It "mostly" plays, but it needs a push once in a while. Here it is with its top off:
View attachment 4226

I really like Inuit art and I have a few original Kinngait prints. Here is one (a juicy pile of walruses):
View attachment 4224

More Inuit art: a hand-carved narwhal from 1950 that I purchased in Ottawa a few years ago (I made sure that it came with the "official" igloo tag) - the tusk (which is actually a tooth) is carved from bone:

View attachment 4229

I also have copies of a few books that have drawings of mine published in them. Those were a few rare surprises that came out of the blue.

I try not to get too attached to "things," but keeping a few things around that have real meaning is a good thing.

View attachment 4226

View attachment 4224

View attachment 4229

Ewomack, Your things are amazing!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back