Free speech online has officially hit a new low...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
People tend towards this reaction the moment you bring up nazi Germany, because all they think about is the death camps, but there was a lot of screwed up things, many different layers of them, that made up that system. If all ya think about when nazi germany is mentioned, is the plight of the jews, then you're clearly not thinking at all.

I read the book. Your choice of words tells me a lot about you. When you reject “group think” you belong to the group think who reject the group think. We are all afraid of slippery slope, but it’s on all of us not to allow it to happen. I know some that goes on is ridiculous, even maddening but you can’t tell me that you accept free speech of others without judging, because you just called it group think.
I believe what he is referring to is when all people effectively end up in the same 'group think'. It kinda kills the concept of individuality.

Some opinions are harmful and affect the way one performs a job. Do I want a teacher who believes earth is flat or a cop who believes non whites are less than human? There is definitely a lot of overreach due to social media mobs. Don’t forget that religion is the original and biggest cancel culture force in the world. So nothing new, just more in your face.
That's definitely different to what I'm talking about, lol.. obviously if you're working at a job, you have an obligation to follow the rules set by the employer (given that they aren't unreasonable). And I agree about religion, that's why I speak against it so much.

Um.... so..I don't discourage anyone their right to speak freely, I just don't Always understand it

I guess it's best to use Face Space just for your personal life, and lighthearted, fun things.

I don't debate people on Facebook anymore, and I barely talk about anything political/social/etc.

For one, it upsets me, ruins my mood. Life does a good enough job ruining my mood as it is, without me going out of my way to put more mood-ruining stuff in my head.

And for two, I'm aware that Facebook is for making an impression - I don't want to look weak, boring, negative, unfun, etc.
Talking about this stuff has two effects for me. The same effect that you feel, I feel when confronted with an overwhelming wave of fascism/conformity, but a more positive feeling when speaking to people like yourself, or other like minded individuals, that are aware that corporations don't own us like property, and don't wish to be treated as such.

When the people with their heads on straight, go silent, who's left to prevent the evils of the world from consuming all in their path?

I appreciate our back and forth. What rubs me the wrong way is accusation of cancel culture we are all guilty of. Even avoiding in itself is silent canceling, we just know there are opposing views that would make us feel bad or a minority. Fight or flight 😂
Naw, people have the right to remain silent themselves, but what makes it cancel culture is when they attempt to silence the people that have the views which oppose their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back