friends or no friends?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been back and forth for a long time with this one. I have a few friends left and yet at times I wish that I didn't. My feelings about this has extended further after these last two years. I lost almost all of my so called friends. Many friends going as far back as Kindergarten. The ones I have left that decided to stick with me, they don't want to understand the situations; not so much the situations with me but the situations going on around out there. They don't listen or want to listen, even if it means that what you are saying may be the truth. You can have your own views and all but cutting others down because someone tells you "that isn't happening", decides not to give the time of day or it is "too long, didn't read", is not a cool thing. This is one of the reasons why I keep to myself. This goes for strangers as well as friends.

So without getting too long-winded, which I normally do, I will say that if I had my choice I would choose not to have any friends. Things aren't the same and won't be anymore.

I have no friends and no family. I would like a friend like me. But, I've never been able to find one. So, I stopped trying. Besides it's super difficult to make new friends when you are old. Well, unless you reside at some place like this:

iu

Tbh what I want more than one or two friends is a place to meet new people. That's what's really suffocating; that's what creates an existential fear of being alone: the idea that this will never change.

I dont have any friends right now, not by choice, but... kinda. I had some friends years ago I started lefting some because they didnt appeal to me, they were nice with me, but I just couldnt bear be with them. I lefted them by choice, but not because I didnt want friends, just not them. Its a long story.

I used to have some friends but we lost touch after school. I had some "friends" when I came to the UK but, they were only interested to hang out because I could introduce them to girls.

I would like to have friends of course but I am worried that I've forgotten how on account of being alone for so long.

I can do by myself for stretches but need friends or I’m miserable. I’ve been taking it a bit harder than I used to when they get wrapped up in their own lives and move on. Still, I’d rather go through the loss than have nothing.

Yeah the last time I had friends I was doing a lot of drugs. Not real friends but there were people. Then I had some friends when I went to outpatient rehab. Now I don't have any friends or motivation to make any. It's been 7 years since I last used anything.
That's awesome,you keep it up.

Society never accepted me, I'm one of those invisible people that society never interacts with and bypasses. They may utter polite greetings but that's it and it's only because they feel they must. Nobody has genuinely been interesting in befriending me. Kids, teens, and now adults never wanted anything to do with me. I have gone through life practically alone. I was never chosen. Still not. Can expect Never to be. Never had any friends, continue not to have any, I feel it's kinda pointless and unnecessary now...it's not like I'd be a good friend, and I wouldn't like it after being alone practically my whole life.

I have adjusted to making due with my own company. There are a lot of times when I long for it and imagine what it would be like to have a genuine friend.

It will most likely never happen.

I'm an almost 42 year old adult now.

People are already settled and content or settled for the friends in their life. They don't want any new person to enter their life.

Most friendships are fake anyways.
With lots of backstabbing, talking badly about one another to each other and to other people, excluding certain people, not dividing time evenly with everyone, spreading rumors, going after or sleeping with someone's spouse or partner, etc..

Society never accepted me, I'm one of those invisible people that society never interacts with and bypasses. They may utter polite greetings but that's it and it's only because they feel they must. Nobody has genuinely been interesting in befriending me. Kids, teens, and now adults never wanted anything to do with me. I have gone through life practically alone. I was never chosen. Still not. Can expect Never to be. Never had any friends, continue not to have any, I feel it's kinda pointless and unnecessary now...it's not like I'd be a good friend, and I wouldn't like it after being alone practically my whole life.

I have adjusted to making due with my own company. There are a lot of times when I long for it and imagine what it would be like to have a genuine friend.

People are already settled and content or settled for the friends in their life. They don't want any new person to enter their life.

With lots of backstabbing, talking badly about one another to each other and to other people, excluding certain people, not dividing time evenly with everyone, spreading rumors, going after or sleeping with someone's spouse or partner, etc..
Isn't it funny that movies and shows say that if you are a silent and by yourself then people will be interested in you and talk to you when, in reality, nobody will give a honeysuckle?

I think its awesome that you are surviving by yourself. At this point, you probably don't need anyone in your life to survive. Keep on truckin' 😁👍

I'm so sorry,that must be so lonely,do you have any family?

I'm so sorry,that must be so lonely,do you have any family?
My foster family, but they've never really said much to me ever since I've came to live with my foster mom when I was 11. They only speak to me when they're asking me questions about their 90 year old mother, trivial things like open the door, send our mom out, I'm outside, etc .... That's it.. that always has been it.

Unless my foster mom who I live with still wants me to help her with something or do something..no one talks to me.

I'm by myself alone and hearing silence, and outside noises most of the day. Every day. Daily.

I'm unemployed and can never have a job because of disability, soo ..

This is my life.

Taking care of my 90 yr old foster mom, listening to silence, browsing the internet. Mostly on forums like this.

Mostly crying alot being depressed.
I've had such a horrible life..

Sometimes, I forget that I can speak, because sometimes my foster mom
winds up in the hospital for a day to a few weeks sometimes, and I go without speaking to anyone or hearing anyone speak or acknowledge me..

Its been an awful life for me.

If she passes before me, I'll probably will go months or the rest of my life without much human interaction or human contact

Do you have any friends or do you choose not to have any friends,I don't have any friends and choose not to have any friends,I like being by myself a lot more than having friends.
And , what is a friend ? description, As I can't find NOT one, they have all fallen short, and I am 66 years old, and have met all sorts of social groups in my life. I have never came across one genuine altruistic person, NOT ONE! Except one, my wife of 42 years who God has taken home, and my dogs and they are all gone to. Thats about it. I am a realist, the reality today is humanity sucks..

Last edited:
And , what is a friend ? description, As I can't find NOT one, they have all fallen short, and I am 66 years old, and have met all sorts of social groups in my life. I have never came across one genuine altruistic person, NOT ONE! Except one, my wife of 42 years who God has taken home, and my dogs and they are all gone to. Thats about it. I am a realist, the reality today is humanity sucks..
I'm so sorry

Latest posts

Back