Give a random piece of advice

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MissGuided said:
~ If you can't afford condoms, you can't afford kids.

Sometimes said:
Don't have your pain in advance!

^both of these are good pieces of advice.

I said it before, but the earlier you find something that you are both interested in and could be good at, the better.

Don't worry about the opinions of people that you know don't like you, and are out to judge you negatively no matter what you do. You don't need them anyway.

Forget age, in terms of what interests you like. If you want to be a grown-up and still collect toys and what-not, have at it. Wish I kept doing this all along instead of temporarily stopping because I was supposed to be "too old" for that. It might have helped me stay focused on a career, to give me something to look forward to buying.

By the same token, don't be afraid to express your interests. The right people will think it's cool, and the haters if you have any would have just found some other reason to hate you, and if they're the kind of person who would hate you for what you like, you don't want to be their friend anyway.

The "cool" crowd isn't that great. It's worth it to understand how it works so you can see that, if you're not in that crowd, that the problem isn't you. You don't have to wrack your brains trying to figure out how to fit in, or change yourself, or think that the onus is on you, that you're at fault for being the way you are and liking what you like and not fitting in and you have to adjust yourself to them, that you can't fit in because you're inferior. And it's also worth understanding how it works, so that you know you're not really missing out on anything. Once you know that, you can just follow your own interests and curiosity, and not worry about it.

That said, there can be times when it pays to be observant of the crowd. You have to use your discretion. I wish I'd done this in terms of learning how to talk to girls, getting hobbies, getting into culture and style, working out, careers, and NOT getting into phobias/conspiracy theories/catastrophizing. I convinced myself to get worried about things no one else was, but I didn't save myself from anything. I just drove myself crazy and got off course in life.

Looks without personality and/or common interests and beliefs/values/views aren't all that great, and will get boring quickly. And no amount of looks is worth putting up with an arrogant, egotistical, smug, superior, contemptuous, cold, cruel personality.

And most importantly - the best time to stop listening to Post Malone was 5 years ago. The second best time is today.

Carpal tunnel syndrome does really exist. If you work with a keyboard/mouse - look after your wrists position. Both hands, not only the one that you hold a mouse.

4No1 said:
Carpal tunnel syndrome does really exist. If you work with a keyboard/mouse - look after your wrists position. Both hands, not only the one that you hold a mouse.

Wait, do people think it doesn't exist? :O

I have it in both wrists.  Keyboard/mouse doesn't really impact it at all for me.  It's turning things that screw mine up.  I often walk into doors because my wrists won't allow me to turn the doorknob.... and you can forget opening jars. :club:

It's ok to cry, hidding your pain won't always help. Sometimes hiding something can make things a lot worse.

Don't start dating someone with severe PTSD and borderline personality disorder, it's just not worth it.

If you are angry, especially when you are angry with people you are close to or living with, then before you say or do anything you'll regret, go for a walk or do something else to tire yourself out.

I used to think, that's stupid, what good will that do? The issue you're angry about will still be there when you get back. But I realized that the point is to tire yourself out because being actively angry takes energy, and when you're tired, you won't have the energy for it. It will naturally bump to a lower priority, and hopefully by the time you're not tired anymore, you won't be mad either.

Also it helps when you combine it with sleeping, cause that adds the distance of time also, away from whatever it is that was making you angry.

Obviously this might not work for major issues, but for small to medium annoyances and aggravations, it works well in de-escalating things before they become worse.

I just don't talk when I am angry, especially to my mom. We are all adults, I can not change her , so I just let it be.

Don't ever go near a credit card ,save your money don't throw it away on interest.

Just Games said:
Don't ever go near a credit card ,save your money don't throw it away on interest.

That's good advice, I don't do credit cards at all, never have... I don't believe in 'em, and I've seen too many folks mired in credit card debt. Everything I need to do, I can do with my USAA Visa debit card. Those interest rates on credit cards are insane... I refuse to enslave myself in credit card debt. People tell me I can't live without a credit card, and I ask 'em why not? I own my home, I own my car, everything I own, I own free & clear... so the credit card pushing makes no sense to me. Insane credit card debt? No, thanks... banksters send credit card applications to my home on a regular basis, and those applications go straight into the trash can.

As for offering advice, well, never weed-whack in shorts and flip-flops...

Sidewinder said:
Just Games said:

That's good advice, I don't do credit cards at all, never have... I don't believe in 'em, and I've seen too many folks mired in credit card debt. Everything I need to do, I can do with my USAA Visa debit card. Those interest rates on credit cards are insane... I refuse to enslave myself in credit card debt. People tell me I can't live without a credit card, and I ask 'em why not? I own my home, I own my car, everything I own, I own free & clear... so the credit card pushing makes no sense to me. Insane credit card debt? No, thanks... banksters send credit card applications to my home on a regular basis, and those applications go straight into the trash can.

As for offering advice, well, never weed-whack in shorts and flip-flops...

I have to disagree with the credit card thing.  I think it would be  better advice to know how to USE credit cards.  They are an excellent way to build your credit.  My advice would be that unless it's an EMERGENCY (actual emergency, not "omg, I have a hot date and need new clothes :club: ) only spend what you have the money to pay off.  If you pay it off right after you use the card, you will never have any interest.

this quote was meant as a critique of religious beliefs but also aptly applies to those in complete denial of the utter dominance of lookism & heightism in the modern female dating scene:

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counter intuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.” –Carl Sagan

Latest posts

Back