Had a stroke

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el Jay

Reaction score
A few days before my 37th birthday, I had a stroke. Lost most movement in my right arm and leg (and I'm right-handed). Probably covid-related since I had it back in January and have been having headaches daily since. Couldn't get an appt. with a neurologist in time once I realized the headaches were a problem.

I'm in an inpatient rehab until the 9th, and will probably have months of outpatient rehab. Not only can't I work (since I can't write or use a computer effectively), I can't even play video games, which is my preferred recreation. I've decided that I will not go back to work (any kind) until I can play games competently, or else I'd be working without any joy in my life, and I refuse to. My parents can support me until I'm at that point (if I ever get there). If at some point they can't or won't, then it will be the end, because I refuse to go on living if I'm going to permanently be deficient with my right arm and leg (arm especially)

Wow im sorry this sounds bloody awful. Sometimes it can feel like one event stole so much… so much of who you used to be. I hope you get back to some form of normality quickly.

I'm recovering pretty well, I guess. Can walk pretty well with a rolling walker, and can use my right hand to grab smaller things. Can also hold a controller and use my thumb somewhat, so I can play games with no real-time factor to the gameplay. But the thought that I may never be back at the level I was terrifies me suicidally.

Please give things some time and patience if you can. I've never had a stroke; but, I did have a life changing (negative) experience happen, and I can remember at the time, for months, my only thoughts were, "I'll never be normal again, things will never be the same." It may take some time; but, things did get better. Things were never 100% back to where they used to be; but, in some ways, for a time, they were even better, than how things were before.

I know that everything is different for everyone; but, I hope for you some time and patience, and less finite thinking...

Every day is a new beginning, and the brain can be quite remarkable at routing around damage some times. If you can, try to focus as much energy as you can on recovering. Don't wear yourself out with it; but, also, try not to be discouraged.

My words may mean very little, maybe nothing at all; but, I wish you well...

Maybe take up some book reading, during down time, as well, to keep your mind from wandering into despair and disparaging thoughts...

Good luck..

Yes, everyone here can sympathize with you on this scary event since it's something we all fear - being disabled in any way.

I agree with the others that you'll likely recover significantly with time and dedicated effort. Hopefully it'll be 100%, but even if you get back to 80-90%, I think you'll find your life still purposeful, fulfilling, and enjoyable. In either case, I'd suggest that serious prayer is warranted to the Creator that designed your body.

Yes, everyone here can sympathize with you on this scary event since it's something we all fear - being disabled in any way.

I agree with the others that you'll likely recover significantly with time and dedicated effort. Hopefully it'll be 100%, but even if you get back to 80-90%, I think you'll find your life still purposeful, fulfilling, and enjoyable. In either case, I'd suggest that serious prayer is warranted to the Creator that designed your body.
My life was anything but fulfilling, purposeful, and enjoyable before this. And if I'm expected to pray to God to help with this, that "God" can go fist his ******* and choke on his cock.

I'm sorry you are going through this. Glad you are starting to make a recovery.

I had a TIA a couple months before my 37th birthday. It was/is terrifying. It's even more terrifying to know that people in our situation are suspectable to have additional strokes.

Make sure you take care of your mental health. It's not uncommon for people who have had strokes to have depression. Take meds if needed. Listen to some mindfulness audiobooks.

Latest posts

Back