Have things really improved much over the past 50 years?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
50 years? I think so. Technology wise-a great deal. We still have a lot of room for improvement socially/morally.

At least we're not slaughtering one another like in the middle ages. We do have gun and gang violence but that may or may not be as common as the media wants you to think it is. Im just glad we're more civilized now than we were a hundred years ago.
I believe the level of violence during the 19th century and even during the Middle Ages is exaggerated. Up until WWII, humanity didn't even have reliable antibiotics. Longevity and the survival of family were predicated on avoiding violent conflicts that brought about infection. Just as the media overreports grisly episodes and implies that certain modern societies are barbaric, so then is the same for the media's treatment of history. Today, it seems a huge swath of people gravitate toward decadence and violence, both as entertainment and as a solution. But this state of affairs is - in my opinion - a product of the tensions brought about by overpopulation. Wars in the past were fought by soldiers that were more often than not, paid. Very few principalities could afford to have their farmers take up arms and leave their leadership, their elite and the future source of labor, starving. Thanks!!

Ok, so I am slightly off of being alive 50 years so can't really make any comments as far back as you, but I think whether things have improved depends on what things you are looking at.

Medically, I think things have improved. One of the operations that I have had back in the mid 80's have I of had it today I'm sure would have worked a lot better today. The ventilator that I had to start using in the mid 90's has got smaller and smaller over the years and is far more portable than what it was back then, making it far easier to carry around when needed, meaning I am more independent.

On the subject of cars, things have improved safety wise there. When I was a kid no-one would think twice as using the boot space as a seat for an extra person, but then in came seatbelts in the back and put an end to that sort of thing. I am not really sure if all the driving aids have really made things better though, or just made people lazy. For example, things like breaking assist, slowing the car down when you get close to something in front, lane assist when you are wondering outside of your lane, people become too reliant on these aids and lose the skills they had. (I should point out that I don't drive myself here).

I think the internet is great and I am glad that I was around to witness its official birth and have seen it grow up into the the beautiful thing that it is today.

I love the fact that I can keep in contact with the few friends that I have no matter where they are or where I am. This was particularly very important and helpful to me during several stays in hospital.

I can jump onto the likes of Spotify and just let it randomly play tracks from artists that I may never of heard of or that really mix up my emotions, or lift me up when I am feeling down.

I can witness events that I wouldn't be able to see in person. I love all the SpaceX stuff that gets streamed, (and just how far they have come over the years I've been following it). Being able to ride along with the astronauts up to the space station is truly awesome and I can'r wait to go to the moon with Nasa.

I can kind of be a bit sociable by gaming with others and do many things that I couldn't do in real life, be it racing a car, flying a space ship, or taking down some of those nasty terrorists folk. (Trackmania, Elite Dangerous and CG:SO to name a few for those that are interested.) I also love my retro games as well. I spent many hours gaming, for me its a form of escape.

And of course, I can jump of this forum, share thoughts and feelings with all you fine folk. As with all inventions, yes they do have a bad said, but inventions are only as good, (or bad) as the people that use them.

Latest posts

Back