have you or would you

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have met someone from the online world, and I would again.

I know online communication can carry some risks, but it can also open you up to really interesting people that you would have never been able to meet if you just stuck with whoever was around your immediate location.

I have met someone from the online world, and I would again.

I know online communication can carry some risks, but it can also open you up to really interesting people that you would have never been able to meet if you just stuck with whoever was around your immediate location.
True

I've met lots of online friends IRL. Spent a week at one of the people's houses one summer. Though, she came up and stayed at my house the previous year.

I've met one person from here and there are a several others I would love to meet up with IRL.

I visited a woman that I first met online. Not on this site. We exchanged many emails for about two years or so and I then I drove about 600 miles to visit her. I visited many places on the way. I really enjoyed the trip. It was weird when I first met her because we already totally knew each other. But, yet, she was a stranger when I looked at her. It never went anywhere. A little while after that she became frustrated and we stopped writing each other.

It's been a very long time since I did that...
The last time I did that, I got robbed at gunpoint, so I'm quite skeptical about it now.

I think I keep it within the realms of localization now, partially for that reason.
The other part of why I keep it localized is for budgeting and for, truthfully? just keeping myself mentally grounded to reality.

I'm not at all opposed to meeting someone in person that I've met online, I'm just not going to fly myself out to do so, not unless there's like a rare concert from a band from Europe or somewhere else that I want to see who's doing a one-off in America.

The only trouble though, is that I'm from a small town, and the people you meet online here "are also the same people you meet in Wal-Mart," a quote directly from a former sheriff my ex used to babysit for. Said sheriff was going an hour away for a night out and we asked her why she didn't just go to a bar locally, and that's what she said.

While I have not done it myself as such, I did travel half way across Europe with me best friend just so they could meet someone that they had met online.

There is always a certain amount of risk when speaking to any one online but as long as you understand those risks and people know where you are going, who you are meeting etc, and you ideally go with someone who will have your back (as I did), then you are at least cutting down any of the risks in something going wrong.

Latest posts

Back