Hello, I'm new

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raincloud

Reaction score
I've joined a few forums but I've never stuck around long. I thought I'd give this one a try.

I'm a 35-year-old woman and I've lived a mostly solitary life. I've had very few friends and I am estranged from my family because of abusive situations. A few years ago I became very ill and I suffered a complete mental and physical breakdown. I ended up homeless and on social security at age 30. This caused me to become even more socially isolated than I already was.

Due to physical ailments that affected my appearance (including a rare autoimmune disorder), I was very badly bullied as a child. I don't mean "teased," I mean traumatized by physical assault, over and over. My family didn't treat me much better. I was diagnosed with PTSD and Avoidant Personality Disorder.

I was doing better back in 2012, but I went on the drug Abilify and then I gained a lot of weight really fast. I've struggled with weight a lot, and I was at a healthy weight for once in my life and the weight gain set me "off" in a bad way. I also got injured and became more sedentary and continued gaining. I've become more and more socially isolated. I have one friend and I haven't spoken to her since October. I live alone with a cat.

I've never dated. Not even a little. At this point, it doesn't bother me, but it makes me weird and that DOES bother me. Even when I was working, I only had low-paying, terrible jobs even though I have a Master of Science degree. I've just never been able to connect to people, and I hate myself and I hate how I look. I want to be invisible.

I think about suicide pretty much constantly. I'm sure it's inevitable, but I still have some things in my life that I enjoy. I like art, drawing, music, video games, and reading. I like comic books. I have trouble with my attention span. My appearance and some other health issues have made me so self-conscious that I have trouble leaving the house at all.

I have a permanent home now with subsidized housing, but there have been other stresses that come with that (I was and still am occasionally harassed by a neighbor and I had a persistent bed bug infestation).

I was a complete hermit for a while, but I take these art classes for poor disabled people sometimes. That's the only time I get out.

I need a lot of therapy. I have actually been in therapy since 2010, but my therapist just quit and I have to wait to restart with a new one.

My physical appearance is the worst of it, and I have in recent years developed new symptoms that make me even MORE self-conscious. I just would like someone to understand.

Welcome to the forum raincloud :)

I haven't been through the same things you have, but I'm sure I understand a lot of how you feel about them.

What music do you like? And what comics?

painter said:
Welcome to the forum raincloud :)

I haven't been through the same things you have, but I'm sure I understand a lot of how you feel about them.

What music do you like? And what comics?

I'm a bit stuck in the past with music, but I like a lot of '70s British punk/mod stuff, electronic, old school hip hop, lots of '80s pop, and riot grrrl stuff from the '90s. Lately I like Janelle Monae, Gravy Train!!!, and Sleigh Bells, and whatever music in Grand Theft Auto games. :D

Comics I'm currently reading: The Walking Dead, Rachel Rising, and I just read issue #1 of Lumberjanes.

I just bought a bunch of new stuff I haven't delved into yet. I'm going to read Revival. I am not that much into superhero comics. I prefer horror and crime stories. I'm a true crime nerd, and I think I've read almost all of Rick Geary's graphic true crime books.

raincloud said:
I'm a bit stuck in the past with music, but I like a lot of '70s British punk/mod stuff, electronic, old school hip hop, lots of '80s pop, and riot grrrl stuff from the '90s.

Oh I'm totally stuck in the past with my media too. 60's and 70's Rock, 80's pop, 90's Grunge <33. I'm the same with films too. Old films are the best. Some of it's nostalgia but most of it is from before I was even born. There are atmospheres and ambiences that modern things just don't seem to be able to do.

I always liked comics but was a poor kid from a small town and never really had access to them. I did have a couple of Spawn graphic novels though... I know it's Superhero (or at least Antihero) but the artwork was great and disgustingly dark, lots of misery in that world. And he was a miserable ******* like me so I liked it.

Did you watch True Detective? From what you say here I think you would like it :)

painter said:
raincloud said:
I'm a bit stuck in the past with music, but I like a lot of '70s British punk/mod stuff, electronic, old school hip hop, lots of '80s pop, and riot grrrl stuff from the '90s.

Oh I'm totally stuck in the past with my media too. 60's and 70's Rock, 80's pop, 90's Grunge <33. I'm the same with films too. Old films are the best. Some of it's nostalgia but most of it is from before I was even born. There are atmospheres and ambiences that modern things just don't seem to be able to do.

I always liked comics but was a poor kid from a small town and never really had access to them. I did have a couple of Spawn graphic novels though... I know it's Superhero (or at least Antihero) but the artwork was great and disgustingly dark, lots of misery in that world. And he was a miserable ******* like me so I liked it.

Did you watch True Detective? From what you say here I think you would like it :)
I absolutely loved True Detective! An online friend gave me his HBOGo password and I watched it on my XBox. Man, Rusty Cohle is such a wonderful character. I actually should rewatch it! And, yes, I LOVE grunge. I live in Seattle and was a teenager in the '90s, so, yeah.

Ah that's cool, the birthplace of it all :) British Rock/Pop music really took a nosedive around that time, I'm so thankful that such great bands were reaching us in the UK from America.

Yeah Cohle was cool as fresia. Best character in a short while. I actually rewatched it again rcently because, even though I hadn't forgotten any of it, I just wanted more of it in my life. I hope they release the next season soon :)

painter said:
Ah that's cool, the birthplace of it all :) British Rock/Pop music really took a nosedive around that time, I'm so thankful that such great bands were reaching us in the UK from America.

Yeah Cohle was cool as fresia. Best character in a short while. I actually rewatched it again rcently because, even though I hadn't forgotten any of it, I just wanted more of it in my life. I hope they release the next season soon :)

Well, Pulp had some good stuff around that time. Unfortunately, it didn't last. My mother was British and I have dual citizenship. I had planned to move to the UK, but I was worried about my family hating me so I didn't. This was during my serious illness and mental breakdown.

So, I'm an American with a British passport and family in the UK I have only met once and it's weird.

Hey raincloud, welcome to the forum. Hope you find what you're looking for here. :)

Hello and Welcome Raincloud,sorry to hear youve had so many problems in your life.Chat anytime.....

Hello welcome to the site.

Cute avatar.

Latest posts

Back