High IQ

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lonelyloser said:
Ohh I see. Well I think I may be in a similar boat. Most girls tend to go for more athletic type guys, but they don't give me a chance to show that I'm good at sports or that I can be just as fun. Just because I don't look like the athletic type doesn't mean that I'm all about books and computers.

Sometimes I try to make intelligence-neutral talk. This doesn't mean talking about the weather necessarily, but you know what I mean...just general, casual stuff.

If I start dating a girl, I try not to make myself look that smart. I don't want her to think that I'm geeky. So I think it happens for guys too. It's all about finding the right match. I think you'll eventually find a guy who really appreciates your intelligence.

I think athletic guys are a complete bore. There must be other girls out there like me so try not to lose heart. Intelligence-neutral talk as you call it I've tried and this is what I usually get stuck doing which I don't really mind even on a regular basis. It's just that sometimes I would like to talk on higher levels without being automatically dismissed.

I'm in complete agreement with you though that it's all about finding the right match. I can't constantly be changing myself to suit whoever it is that I'm interacting with either. I just try to be myself as much as possible this way I'm not attracting someone who really wouldn't be attracted to the real me as much as possible.

You know I don't even want a guy who appreciates my intelligence. lol I just want someone who can accept it without despising me or feeling insecure about it.

Some guys are so stupid about that! Gah. But my guy friends are all pretty cool about it. I sorta feel bad saying this, but I am as smart as any of them and am in several higher classes though we are in the same grade, but they only jokingly tease me about it and never in a bad way. So even if I feel bad for being smart it's never because of my friends. I just have no interest in people who dislike smart people. These people are getting in the way of the future and need to not restrict progress. And that may sound arrogant, but I don't necessarily consider myself to be a source of progress so I'm not saying people who don't like smart people should get out of my way, just out of smarter people's ways. If that makes sense, because I totally lost my train of thought halfway through that. lol.

I don't have a high IQ but for some reason I'm regarded as one of the most intelligent people in my year.

I've found the best way to deal with it is to act really stupid. I pretend not to understand questions or insults or innuendo and the like. As a result jocks and chavs tend to leave me alone, they think I'm humourous, but nothing else.

This got me thinking, because I act stupid and I don't show any intelligence I remove something that made people hostile towards me (okay so people laugh about me behind my back but that's okay). I wonder if intelligent people are really seen to be threatening.

Also, it'll sound hypocritical now but I get really sick of girls hiding their intelligence, you try to talk to them about some semi-meaningful thing and they will pretend not to understand and just laugh and smile and pretend the topic goes over their heads even if you know for a fact that they proably know more about it than you. Seriously, I was talking to someone who had her first story published in an anthology of short stories at 14.

Of course they could just have wanted to stop talking to me. We'll I can't say that thought doesn't cut.:D

I think IQ is a very specific type of intelligence and not always a reliable tool for gauging intelligence...which is such a vague term. I don't think it is relevant to social life though because it is so abstract. There is the knowledge of facts and information, conceptual or analytical intelligence, even creativity and charisma can be considered partly intelligence. As long as you don't actually alienate people with it, intelligence probably helps social interaction. Just watch out for overt hubris. It's always best to be humble, unless you have Ph.D.in something other than psychology :p

lonelyloser said:
My IQ is in the top 2%. I learned that people who have high IQ's have trouble socializing and functioning as adults. Is this the case for any of you? I'd be interested in knowing how your IQ has affected your life, whether it be in a negative way or a positive way. I am bothered by the fact that there are people out there who have average IQ's who seem to be much happier. It feels like being smart is a curse.

That myth is not entirely right. There are different types of intelligence, you may be more apt with something analytical, social, creative, etc. etc. According to these IQ tests, mine is pretty high but think how limited such tests really are. Most of the time, such tests are designed for Western thought and not suitable for other cultures, they're not even transliterated when we have to take them? They have so many questions or concepts very alien to my culture and others as well. Also, the tests themselves are limited to analytical/logical/rationality, without much understanding on how such abilities work. Who knows the depths of a person's mind or ability? Should artistic intelligence be undermined in favor of something more analytical? Or is analytical easier to understand and study rather than creativeness (that is why they are so prevalent in studies)? So, if it's easier to understand, does it mean, it is less complex and stimulating? Rationality has actually only become a modern trend, given it was introduced or recognized even back in Plato's time but still, it has nonetheless had a face-lift of sorts. But how far will rationality or natural science take us, is it transcendental in its supremacy? Will a new form of discovery enter the minds of our scientists, and take hold of the public until another one comes along, a different form of enlightenment? What I am trying to reiterate is - don't take these IQ tests seriously because in actuality, they are imperfect and a flawed science.

An IQ test is a measure of one's ability to perform an IQ test. Depending on what sort of test you take they can involve spacial anything from spacial awareness to litracy. But neither spacial awareness nor litracy is equal to intelligence.

Still, as a nihilistic kinda guy I can't say I think you'll ever find a way of measuring intelligence, it's such an idealistic and vague concept to begin with and to try and rank people from best to worst is pointless if in fact there is no best or worst.

Latest posts

Back