How can I find a job from home? Have not worked up to age 53.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many people in poor nations are willing to work very hard for small pay.
This is a very good point. YOu need to be able to offer great skills, ones worth paying for, before you get anywhere. That is down to you. No potential employer looks for people to train and help, it is much easier and quicker for them to find people who have done it themselves. I get it all the time with people applying for jobs online working for me because I pay very well rather than because they can do it. They write to me saying they must have the job because of as if they are writing to Father Christmas asking for a huge expensive free christmas pressie each week.

There are jobs you can do from home. I haven't tried these but worth taking a look at:

^^I would not recommend doing what the video talks about or using the site they suggest for uploading.
As someone who makes their living as a writer working from home, I wholeheartedly agree with this. OP, if you're looking for a legit job, I suggest skipping suggestions like the above video, upwork.com (in my experience, few and far between in terms of legit and decent-paying opportunities) and other similar websites. Many of my best jobs have come from simply using a job search website like Indeed, and searching for terms like 'writer' and location as 'remote'. You still need to be choosy, of course, but you'll find more reliable job opportunities.

As someone who makes their living as a writer working from home, I wholeheartedly agree with this. OP, if you're looking for a legit job, I suggest skipping suggestions like the above video, upwork.com (in my experience, few and far between in terms of legit and decent-paying opportunities) and other similar websites. Many of my best jobs have come from simply using a job search website like Indeed, and searching for terms like 'writer' and location as 'remote'. You still need to be choosy, of course, but you'll find more reliable job opportunities.

How does professional writing differ to a writer than that of how you write when you're not working, or does it? Is there a difference in feeling and format? Or are those subject to the jobs you take themselves?

I'm curious, but I have no formal background with it, and professionally it's not a field I have any experience with.

How does professional writing differ to a writer than that of how you write when you're not working, or does it? Is there a difference in feeling and format? Or are those subject to the jobs you take themselves?

I'm curious, but I have no formal background with it, and professionally it's not a field I have any experience with.
I'd say it depends on the sort of jobs you take on and how the writer decides to tackle the job. I write for a small business publication and write a variety of different articles/stories. Some are more casual, light-hearted and fun in style - like a list article on local candy stores and chocolatiers for Valentine's Day. Others are more serious and business-minded in content, so I'd use a more professional language and style. Other articles are set up in an interview format, so aside from what I write as a lede, the majority of the article is in the interviewee's words, not mine. Some of what I write is classed as 'Promoted Content' (paid by the client), so that style of writing tends to be more client-led as opposed to what I might prefer. I also write SEO/sales type-stuff, which I hate. It's designed to rank high on search engines, so includes a lot of 'keywords' and SEO search phrases - the main purpose is to attract potential customers or clients to a webpage. Most businesses want to try and rank high on search engines (like the first 3 pages for sure), so a well-written landing page on a company website is highly desirable.

That said, I think every writer develops their own 'voice' - that goes equally for someone who writes professionally, is a published author, writes regularly in a daily journal or just comes to a place like this to be heard. We all have a certain style when it comes to expressing ourselves and that includes through words.

Last edited:
I'd say it depends on the sort of jobs you take on and how the writer decides to tackle the job. I write for a small business publication and write a variety of different articles/stories. Some are more casual, light-hearted and fun in style - like a list article on local candy stores and chocolatiers for Valentine's Day. Others are more serious and business-minded in content, so I'd use a more professional language and style. Other articles are set up in an interview format, so aside from what I write as a lede, the majority of the article is in the interviewee's words, not mine. Some of what I write is classed as 'Promoted Content' (paid by the client), so that style of writing tends to be more client-led as opposed to what I might prefer. I also write SEO/sales type-stuff, which I hate. It's designed to rank high on search engines, so includes a lot of 'keywords' and SEO search phrases - the main purpose is to attract potential customers or clients to a webpage. Most businesses want to try and rank high on search engines (like the first 3 pages for sure), so a well-written landing page on a company website is highly desirable.

That said, I think every writer develops their own 'voice' - that goes equally for someone who writes professionally, is a published author, writes regularly in a daily journal or just comes to a place like this to be heard. We all have a certain style when it comes to expressing ourselves and that includes through words.

Thank you. That was greatly informative and helpful. Probably actually more informative than anything I've found in Googling about it.

Latest posts

Back