How did I get here?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeggyLee

Reaction score
Hi! So glad to find this site when I Googled "I have no friends". I am in my 70s and have been married for 43 years. I had lots of friends growing up and throughout my late 50s. We moved to another state to care for my dad when he developed Alzheimer's. That decision caused my sister to hate me and the beginning of my alienation. I was diagnosed with a chronic illness at this time. I get brain fog and had to stop driving. My sister died of liver failure in 2019, i never got to say good bye. Although we partly raised her children, they ghosted us too. So, we have no friends and no family. This is the third year we've been completely alone. No one called or checked us during the pandemic. My husband is an introvert so this is natural for him. I have trouble talking to people now. I live a sham life and try to hide it from others. I feel like a freak.

Welcome to the forums. Look around and make youself at home. Hopefully you find some interaction that you have been missing lately.

Welcome to the forums!! I know how hard it is to lose family, whether from death or cutting them out of your life. You are not a freak. My thoughts are... if they leave, they weren't for you, anyway. Don't chase love or affection!
Have some fun here!
I turned 50 last year, 3 grown boys. And I love to hang out and read the forums and play a few of the word games before I head to work.
"Come on in, the water's great!!" :D :D

Hello PeggyLee, I am in the same situation. An outing for me is a doctor or veterinarian visit. This forum is the only place I have to talk to people. I have lots of animals that give my life purpose! Without them, I think I would not even get out of bed. Do you have any hobbies?

I have 2 cats, just found out today one has kidney disease and cancer. Discussed comfort care with vet, it was a tough day. I am a chronic baker and I love to cook too. Read a lot. How about you?

I have 2 cats, just found out today one has kidney disease and cancer. Discussed comfort care with vet, it was a tough day. I am a chronic baker and I love to cook too. Read a lot. How about you?
I also have one cat, three dogs, four chickens, five love birds ( outside aviary), a pineapple conure, and Henri, my quaker parrot. I recently euthanized one of my pugs; it is so sad when they fall ill. How old is your cat that has cancer?
I, too, read a lot, mainly literature and some mysteries. I found a seller on eBay that sells and ships hardcovers for $3.69. (at 69 errr, I need the larger print than paperbacks can offer). What is your favorite genre? I just finished The Red Queen by Victoria A. What are you reading now? Before I sign off, I send you sincere best wishes for your cat. Lauren

Hello Peggy, it’s very nice to meet you. I’m sorry about the situation with your family. It’s hard when there’s falling out and unresolved tension. I hope you are able to connect with some people here on the forum. I’m new here too. :)

Hi! So glad to find this site when I Googled "I have no friends". I am in my 70s and have been married for 43 years. I had lots of friends growing up and throughout my late 50s. We moved to another state to care for my dad when he developed Alzheimer's. That decision caused my sister to hate me and the beginning of my alienation. I was diagnosed with a chronic illness at this time. I get brain fog and had to stop driving. My sister died of liver failure in 2019, i never got to say good bye. Although we partly raised her children, they ghosted us too. So, we have no friends and no family. This is the third year we've been completely alone. No one called or checked us during the pandemic. My husband is an introvert so this is natural for him. I have trouble talking to people now. I live a sham life and try to hide it from others. I feel like a freak.

Welcome to the forum. I can sympathise with having no friends, but I must say, there are many people who would envy your long term marriage. So many people go through messy break-ups whilst never managing to find "the one", expensive, hateful divorces, spouse bereavements etc. I myself am in the highly unusual situation of being in my mid 30s and have never had had a girlfriend or experienced intimacy of any kind. I have only one person that I'd call a true friend and I'm also unemployed and have no promising future prospects at this moment in time. I don't mean this to be a "woe is me" type of response, but I'm just saying....assuming (and I know it's a big assumption) that your marriage is a happy one, which I'm guessing it is if you've made it last for 40 odd years, you have something that many people could only dream of.

I also have one cat, three dogs, four chickens, five love birds ( outside aviary), a pineapple conure, and Henri, my quaker parrot. I recently euthanized one of my pugs; it is so sad when they fall ill. How old is your cat that has cancer?
I, too, read a lot, mainly literature and some mysteries. I found a seller on eBay that sells and ships hardcovers for $3.69. (at 69 errr, I need the larger print than paperbacks can offer). What is your favorite genre? I just finished The Red Queen by Victoria A. What are you reading now? Before I sign off, I send you sincere best wishes for your cat. Lauren
I am sorry about your pug. My sweet kitty is 18. What a menagerie you have! Started watching the birds when we went into lockdown. Bought binoculars and a book on birds in my state. Fascinated by crows! Read mostly mysteries. Thank you for your kind words. Peggy

Welcome to the forum. I can sympathise with having no friends, but I must say, there are many people who would envy your long term marriage. So many people go through messy break-ups whilst never managing to find "the one", expensive, hateful divorces, spouse bereavements etc. I myself am in the highly unusual situation of being in my mid 30s and have never had had a girlfriend or experienced intimacy of any kind. I have only one person that I'd call a true friend and I'm also unemployed and have no promising future prospects at this moment in time. I don't mean this to be a "woe is me" type of response, but I'm just saying....assuming (and I know it's a big assumption) that your marriage is a happy one, which I'm guessing it is if you've made it last for 40 odd years, you have something that many people could only dream of.

Yes, I did get lucky with my husband. It's my second marriage. We went to marriage counseling at the 15 year mark, both of us came with some baggage, especially me. He's a lovely man. Funny, smart, sensitive. I am sorry about your situation, working is a way to not feel so lonely. How do single people meet others these days?

Hello Peggy, it’s very nice to meet you. I’m sorry about the situation with your family. It’s hard when there’s falling out and unresolved tension. I hope you are able to connect with some people here on the forum. I’m new here too. :)
Hi Lots! Nice to meet you too. People here have been very kind. How are you doing?

Hello and welcome! Maybe now that the pandemic has mostly past you can find a senior center to visit.

I’m new here since yesterday but wanted to say welcome, PeggyLee. My only family is my adult daughter and our relationship has been crumbling for the past few years. I hope things are going better for you now since you posted. If not, I hope you find some comfort here.

Sorry to hear that, but welcome to the site.

I am sorry about your pug. My sweet kitty is 18. What a menagerie you have! Started watching the birds when we went into lockdown. Bought binoculars and a book on birds in my state. Fascinated by crows! Read mostly mysteries. Thank you for your kind words. Peggy
I had a crow for a pet years ago; Edgar lived 20 years!
I also love to read. It is a form of escape. I just finished All The Light We Cannot See. I am reading Runaway Jury next.

I also love to read. It is a form of escape. I just finished All The Light We Cannot See. I am reading Runaway Jury next.
oh, other people also had crows as pets they are very intelligent one fallowed me home one day, I have always attracted crows in my life depending on your background some say that it's a sign that someone is watching over you my Crows name was Eric though from the crow movie.

Edgar Allen Poe right the Raven? good name :)

I also love to read,what genre of books do you like?I like reading fantasy and mystery.

Latest posts

Back