How do you keep your things organised?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mouse

Past battles with ocd brought habit in me to learn tidiness, and for this I have an old pine maritime plan chest which is wonderfully useful. It has many drawers that allow for paper and old maritime charts which am a collector of, plus knicknacks. The best go into the top sections for easy access, and there's a lock on each to keep inquisitive fingers out. :p

I just reorganized a drawer thing I have in my closet. It's a Tupperware thing with three large drawers and two smaller ones. All of them were so disorganized I pulled everything out of them and placed it all into piles of what was what. Then I stuck them back into the drawers according to those piles. Now it has some kind of organization to it so I was able to stick other stuff I had sitting around somewhere instead of everywhere. Also moved some other containers around so things are in more one general area. It's taken me a year after having to move back home to get somewhat more organized. Such a daunting task when you've accumulated so much crap.

after I got the dust allergy I bought 79 boxes, for sure things were tidier after putting them to use

I'm a bit of a tidy freak and have a couple of units where all excess paperwork and bits and pieces get stored, but your maritime plan chest sounds just beautiful as well as practical. Green with envy haha.

I'm very taken with this Toolmakers Chest Not only because I'm a DIYer, but because it could be very handy to carry around from room to room. Beautifully made though I might change the drawer handles to brass, the chest would hold my writing paraphernalia, stamps and little rolls of Sellotape and my lovely scissors so they don't get "borrowed". Nothing worse than scratching around frantically searching for one of my things that some little mutt has taken a liking to. :rolleyes2:

While my plan chest lurks in my upstairs' quiet room, it's heavy and can't be moved. Whereas that little piggy could become very handy. Also, I'm needing a little self-pressie. :p

Lists!

I love lists. 'To do' lists are the best. Very satisfying.

I have a lot of art and craft stuff.

Keeping it organised is an ongoing issue. I'm currently putting 'like with like' into boxes - labelling and indexing it as I go along.

Finding space for the boxes is frought with difficulty as I have little storage space.

Sturdy boxes of the same size are good for stacking, and I find my online index useful.

I used to be really messy but one thing that has helped loads was getting rid of stuff I didnt need. I have very few posessions and I spring clean every year. Things are easier to keep tidy and organized when you have less I feel :D

I tie them up, tie them all up in a big sack! :p

Normally, sorting out first then labeling and then puting in boxes. and I have to remember which box contains what cause I remove tags very soon.

I used to be very untidy, and probably still am. However lately I've started to organize my things as it was unbearable.. I really had too much stuff. Well, I am far from finishing, but at least I started. I believe having a sound starting point is better over time.

(I guess when I graduate I'll just burn all papers from university XD A lot of space lol)

Yesterday I finished organizing my internet bookmarks O__O. Really had way too many.. quickest solution was to delete the ones I have no use for anymore and to create folders and organize the others accordingly. Long work, but it was worth it.

The "Toolmakers chest" Mouse mentioned is a good idea. The chest too. And Peaches, I'm probably going to do the same as you and buy boxes :) Wow PD, even labeling :eek: I have a long way to go XD

Oh. That sort of organization. I move a lot, so all I own is really just books and clothes. I tend to buy things as needed at the time, from what would be a dollar store or whatever the cheapest place happens to be wherever I am, since I'll end up donating it or throwing it away eventually. I moved cities just today actually. About 100 miles away from the last city. Will be here a few months and then I'll be off again. It's not hard to stay organized if you live a minimal lifestyle.

After spending today organising and boxing up some belongings in preparation for a big house move, I'm thinking of going minimal ... and to think I used to envy people with a lot of stuff lol!

I have a special drawer where I put everything I don't know where else to put them.

Cataplasme said:
I have a special drawer where I put everything I don't know where else to put them.

Yes I had one of those and then it got full up so I needed another one and then another so ended up with a 7 drawer chest and that's full up now :rolleyes:

LonesomeDay said:
After spending today organising and boxing up some belongings in preparation for a big house move, I'm thinking of going minimal ... and to think I used to envy people with a lot of stuff lol!

I moved with two pieces of luggage. Hassle free. I'd recommend the whole minimal thing, but of course no matter what there will be a lot if you're moving with long term stay in mind, minimal or not. I definitely don't envy people with 'stuff' though. :p

I try to put similar items near each other. This way, I sort my things by category. If I don't remember exactly where something is, I can make a pretty good guess based on the general areas where I keep my things.

I also try to put things back where they belong as soon as I am done using them.

Latest posts

Back