How many countries have you visited?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Solivagant said:
Hmmm... Now that I think about it, I believe Middle Earth is a continent. Does that make Eriador, Rhovanion, Mordor, Rhun, Harad and Forod the countries? If so I can add a whole bunch more to my list! :p

I should think so. But don't forget Numenor! That is, if you were there before it sunk.

Aisha said:
Solivagant said:
Oh, and what about accents? Is a Scottish accent a British accent? I always thought "British" just meant "English". (I feel dumb now, apologies for my ignorance.)

All scots are Brits, but not all Brits are Scots. A Scottish accent is a British one. But it changes so much from city to city, people in the British Isles have extremely varied English (referring to the language) accents. Don't apologise, everything is unknown until we learn about it. :)

Yup, completely correct. I live on the English side of the England/Scottish border and most of the people there have no problem being referred to as British. When you fill in the census every 10 years there is no box to tick for English, Scottish, Welsh etc. You only have a box for British, which (whether everyone likes it or not) is our nationality.

Having said this, Scotland very nearly voted for independence and most people from Scotland, Wales or Northern England will refer to themselves as Scottish, Welsh or English rather than British.

If you wish to further muddy the issue, I was born in Carlisle which has at times been a part of Scotland, so I guess I'm English, Scottish and British :p

Cavey said:
Scotland very nearly voted for independence and most people from Scotland, Wales or Northern England will refer to themselves as Scottish, Welsh or English rather than British.

I think much of the world was very curious as to what would be the outcome of the independence referendum. I'm sort of glad it went the way it did, although it wouldn't really affect me whichever way it went. But it's just nice to know the family's still together.

For having said all that about sticking to correct terms when it came to the countries, I thought about it, and I remember I actually used to get a bit frustrated when I left England for home and people insisted on saying they were 'going to the UK' when they were referring just to England, or asking me how life was in the 'UK' when I'd lived in England. Scotland, England, Wales and Ireland-whichever part- are different places, and I always had the urge to correct people. That is, until I came here to study, a country with an expatriate population of over 80%, where everyone including the British refer to the UK as the UK. It's hard to think of it as anything else now, or of the countries that constitute it separately.

Cavey said:
If you wish to further muddy the issue, I was born in Carlisle which has at times been a part of Scotland, so I guess I'm English, Scottish and British :p

Lol! Congratulations on the confusion you could potentially cause if you feel up to it :D

Not traveled much in the last 10 years but:

UK (just England and I live there)
France
Belgium
Netherlands
'Spain' (not the mainland but the Balearic Islands of Minorca and Mallorca)
Turkey
South Africa
Iceland

1 - Greece; Corfu. It still hold many memories with the person I visited it with, I miss you!

Solivagant said:
So far, 5 countries and 13 states (other than my own).

Countries: Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Scotland, and briefly Canada (Ontario).

American states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Montana (briefly), Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Wisconsin, Wyoming.

There are a few others if you count airports, but I don't.

Lots more places I want to see!

^ As of Tuesday, + Michigan.

1. Saudi Arabia
2. Malaysia
3. USA
4. England
5. The Netherlands

Well like Solivagant, I won't count airports but I've touched down in Dubai and Japan for layovers. It'd have been cool to explore those countries too.

Britsh Isles: England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Jersey, Isle of Man.

France, Monaco, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Turkey, Albania, Cyprus.

Mainland Greece, Santorini, Crete, Mykonos.

Only four : England, Italy, Germany and USA (Chicago).

I wish I could travel more. It would be easier if I had a friend to travel with me or to visit. I'm scared of going somewhere alone where I don't know anybody.

Solivagant said:
Solivagant said:

Countries: Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Scotland, and briefly Canada (Ontario).

American states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Montana (briefly), Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Wisconsin, Wyoming.

^ + North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia (briefly).

Australia, Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil, USA, Mexico, England, Scotland, Wales, Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany, Poland, Austria, Italy, France, New Zealand (my home country). This is not counting places I've trained through without stopping or airports.

UK (Devon, Cornwall, Wales, Scotland), Ireland, France and Germany. There's something beautiful and special about each one. Devon and its red Devonian earth is my current home and inspiration for my landscape paintings.

Solivagant said:
Solivagant said:
Solivagant said:

^ + North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia (briefly).

I suppose England should get a mention too. I only drove through it for about 40 minutes to get to an airport in London, but that's about as much as I saw of Canada, Montana, and Georgia, so...

England (briefly).

Latest posts

Back