How many friends do we really need?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colster

Reaction score
Elsewhere within the group, there was lost regarding not having a single friend. Thus, I appreciate that some of you don't have anyone dear. But, how many friends do we need. How many is healthy. What is the normal number to aspire to.

Attachments

• IMG_288939727761275.jpg
    IMG_288939727761275.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 1
Real or imaginary? Actually I think my TV is my friend. The broadcasters who keep showing commercials are my enemy though. :) I think that the number of friends one has continually decreases as one gets older and/or more incapacitated.

Real or imaginary? Actually I think my TV is my friend. The broadcasters who keep showing commercials are my enemy though. :) I think that the number of friends one has continually decreases as one gets older and/or more incapacitated.
I'm never too far from my tv.

in rebuttal to the latter aspect. My mother is 75, and has never been so popular or surrounded by friends. Although having said that, I do wonder how many of them does she actually like.

^ I actually do start to feel lonely if I don't watch TV frequently. It seems to satisfy my needs.

Ask her. Also ask her if she trusts them. My dad was well liked by everybody. But, everybody disliked my mom even though she was nice. It was just how she came across. It put people off. I'm like my mom unfortunately.

I asked several people who had lots of friends if they liked all their friends and trusted them. The consensus was they just enjoyed their company. Most could only be minimally trusted and few could be depended on. That made me wonder why they were considered friends. Apparently most people don't need to trust or count on their friends. Unfortunately I do.

Well, perhaps, we can begin by defining what are the qualifications to have someone deemed to be your friend? I have come to realize there can de different kinds of friends. Each individual person can define a friend in many different ways. Sport friends neighbor friends, childhood friends, hobby friends. Sometimes we can have a friend and not realize they are our friend as we applied the wrong friend definition to them 🙄 Just for the record, I consider everyone on this forum my friend 🙂😁😄😏😬🥴

Last edited:
As many as you need to feel comfortable.
One good friend would be health for me. Depends on what you calll "friend" though.

I read a book(not very good) and there was a woman-detective, that had "only one friend" .
I was really suprised why did an author thought it was not normal and how many would be ok. The author had to read this forum before writing those 'lonely' character)

Friends seem to rotate pretty wildly, so I've had as few as 1 or 2 at some times and as many as 15 - 20 at other times. The large groups seem to swarm then dissipate over time. Everyone has different definitions of "true friend" as well, so it's hard to tell how many anyone needs. Some people live just fine with none. Others panic if fewer than five people call them daily. I was very lucky that loads of friends came out of the woodwork for me during a difficult time of my life. I really needed them then, but I don't need them as much now (I actually don't talk to many of them anymore, sadly). Ideally, people would have a few close friends and a group of "lesser" friends to socialize with. But one's ideals can vary greatly due to preference and circumstance.

But, how many friends do we need. How many is healthy. What is the normal number to aspire to.
Don't have a general answer to that since every person has different needs but it is a good question!
Speaking for myself, I think I am at a point where I am quite comfortable being solo but wouldn't hurt to have maybe two to three close friends, online or in real life, it doesn't matter.

I'll admit to missing social interaction, good conversation. I do not think I could go solo for too long. Possibly I may have gone 6 months without ever uttering a word to another human being. Not a healthy pursuit, and not advised.

I only have one person I'd call an actual friend. I find it to be enough, but I'm far from being typical as far as my social needs are concerned. I'm bordering on being misanthropic.

Latest posts

Back