How to be funny?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M_also_lonely

Reaction score
I want to be a funny person. How to create jokes that are funny and make people laugh? How to be humorous so that people will be interested in talking to me??

It's a talent. You can't just fall out of bed and be funny. You also can't force being funny either because then it isn't. You have to be able to observe things around you and use what you see to tell stories in a funny way.

BeyondShy said:
It's a talent. You can't just fall out of bed and be funny. You also can't force being funny either because then it isn't. You have to be able to observe things around you and use what you see to tell stories in a funny way.

This is true, and there are different senses of humor. I think I'm funny, and other people do too, but I have a person at work that has a really dark sense of humor, so my kind of funny isn't really funny to her.

I think being funny and making people laugh comes from being comfortable in your own skin and being comfortable with the people you are with. If you are wary or nervous it won't come natural. In my own experience it took me years to find real friends and once I did it was easy to laugh with them and make them laugh.

I wouldn't spend your time worrying about it, just work on being the best possible you and give yourself your own self worth, try not and seek validation from others.

Good luck.

Hmm, how to be funny? You need to have humor for that. and to have humor you have to listen to them, listen them with attention, the more you listen the more database will be in your mind and once you have enough of talk experiences, try saying jokes from books but not too many, take is slow and with slow build of confidence you can try your own created jokes.

Don't know that will work or not. But again don't try to fit in someone else' shoes, try what you are good at. Trying something from scratch takes a long time to get if you pull it off that is.

M_also_lonely said:
I want to be a funny person. How to create jokes that are funny and make people laugh? How to be humorous so that people will be interested in talking to me??

Watch comedy shows. Most of my jokes are pinch from shows such as Monty Python or Only fools and horses.

I can make people laugh. Even if I say one liners. I can tell funny stories as well. Real life events that I change slightly to make them amusing.

Also you need to have a laugh at yourself.

Triple Bogey said:
M_also_lonely said:

Watch comedy shows. Most of my jokes are pinch from shows such as Monty Python or Only fools and horses.

I can make people laugh. Even if I say one liners. I can tell funny stories as well. Real life events that I change slightly to make them amusing.

Also you need to have a laugh at yourself.

Laughing at yourself is one of the easiest ways to be funny. You have to give up pride and be comfortable with yourself though.

M_also_lonely said:
Timing is key in my opinion. Also, humour usually falls flat when it feels forced so try to make it flow naturally. Making clever and funny observations in everyday situations is probably the best form of humour.

Nicolelt said:
Laughing at yourself is one of the easiest ways to be funny. You have to give up pride and be comfortable with yourself though.

I'm a very proud person so this is probably not going to work for me.

Triple Bogey said:

People that know me say I have a dry sense of humor and maybe I do because I can say a lot of things that will get some people laughing. Just the other day I received an e-mail from someone I knew before I moved. Just a typical catch-up e-mail. And he had to remind me again of something I said years ago when we worked together in a supermarket. I've almost forgotten it but not him.

One day the person who wrote me that e-mail and myself were stocking shelves and he was at one end of the aisle and I was at the other. An impatient customer went up to him and was angry because he said he was walking up and down all the aisles looking for Rice-a-Roni (flavored rice you cook on a stove.) Well he is getting madder and madder because he couldn't find the **** thing and my friend did not know where it was either because like myself, we had just started working there at the store only a month before. I'm overhearing all of this because the guy was angry and finally the guy must have got tired because he said "just forget it" and he walked away. When he walked away he came in my direction and he asked me where something else was. "Where's the olive oil?" I was asked. Before I even had a chance to think I told him "right next to the Rice-a-Roni." My friend and the guy could not stop laughing.

One person's funny might be another person's "meh". My sense of humor is drier than the Sahara so someone who doesn't like dry humor won't laugh when I make a joke. I somehow made a room full of strangers in a meeting at work laugh a few months ago with a dry joke but those moments don't happen a lot.
If you want to be funny, you can't be afraid to laugh at yourself either.

-Teresa

It seems to be very difficult to be funny if you're trying to be funny. I always wanted to be funny when I was younger and tried hard to make people laugh but it usually didn't work and I probably looked like a try hard. Now I don't really give a honeysuckle if people think I'm funny or not and I get more laughs than I used to.

The only practical advice I could offer is to watch stand up comedy and see what YOU find amusing.

BeyondShy said:
Nicolelt said:

Triple Bogey said:

People that know me say I have a dry sense of humor and maybe I do because I can say a lot of things that will get some people laughing. Just the other day I received an e-mail from someone I knew before I moved. Just a typical catch-up e-mail. And he had to remind me again of something I said years ago when we worked together in a supermarket. I've almost forgotten it but not him.

One day the person who wrote me that e-mail and myself were stocking shelves and he was at one end of the aisle and I was at the other. An impatient customer went up to him and was angry because he said he was walking up and down all the aisles looking for Rice-a-Roni (flavored rice you cook on a stove.) Well he is getting madder and madder because he couldn't find the **** thing and my friend did not know where it was either because like myself, we had just started working there at the store only a month before. I'm overhearing all of this because the guy was angry and finally the guy must have got tired because he said "just forget it" and he walked away. When he walked away he came in my direction and he asked me where something else was. "Where's the olive oil?" I was asked. Before I even had a chance to think I told him "right next to the Rice-a-Roni." My friend and the guy could not stop laughing.

Lol !

That's funny. People say I have a dry sense of humour too !
People sometimes laugh when I pull a face or say one word.

BeyondShy said:
Nicolelt said:

There is a difference in giving up some pride to be able to see humor in some things and giving ALL pride.
The thing about pride is that it is often misplaced and overused. Where has it gotten you thus far?

Senses of humor vary, so you're not going to appeal to everyone regardless of which route you go. Some people like dark humor and trading jibes, and others take it personally and would dislike you for it. Some people think sarcasm is funny, and others think it's lame.

I like to twist things around to get a chuckle, myself. Sometimes other people get a chuckle, too.

I saw a Ray Bradbury quote on a writing forum I frequent earlier. “You write to please yourself. You write for the joy of writing. And then your public reads you and it begins to gather around.” I commented that the last time the public gathered around to watch me please myself I was charged with public indecency.

TheRealCallie said:
There is a difference in giving up some pride to be able to see humor in some things and giving ALL pride.
The thing about pride is that it is often misplaced and overused. Where has it gotten you thus far?

Well let's see, not very far. Not far at all.

Today at work

Me (to this lass) Are we getting our wage slips today ?
Her - Don't know. I bet you couldn't sleep last night wondering about it !
Me - I couldn't sleep last night but it had nothing to do with wage slips.

For some reason she found it funny. So did another woman colleague and this customer who overheard what I said.

Now that was funny. :)

You see? You didn't even try and it was just a natural thing.

Latest posts

Back