How To Fight Insomnia

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkwall

Reaction score
There have been too many studies done that link sleeping problems to depression for me to even have to mention them here.

I remember that there have been a few posts recently about problems sleeping, and so I thought I'd post some things I've found helpful.

The most useful things I've found can be condensed to:

MIND: You should be able to turn off your mind. Relaxation such as a hot bath or gentle music will assist this. Meditiation, yoga and breathing exercises are also helpful. If you can't sleep, then get up after twenty minutes and do some repetitive mental activities in ANOTHER ROOM.

BODY: Foods high in tryptophan can help you relax. These include turkey, tuna, bananas, nuts, figs and that old classic, a glass of milk. Calcium, vitamins D, C and B-complex regulate the nervous system, helping with anxiety. If you are over twenty pounds overweight, you might be suffering from something called Apnea.

ROUTINE: As you get ready to begin going to bed, your mind is starting to ready itself too. A behavioural pattern surrounding what you do, such as drinking milk, having a bath, brushing your teeth, then going to sleep, will tell your mind it is ready to shut down. Consistent sleeping times are important. Don't exercise within three hours of going to bed. Don't smoke or drink either, as cigarettes are a stimulant and drinking too much will wake your body up once the alcohol is processed.

ENVIRONMENT: Your bedroom should be for SLEEPING. Your mind needs to associate sleep with it. Don't lie in bed reading, don't watch TV in your room. A messy bedroom will also stress you out. There should be no "work" in your bedroom, which should be an environment free of stressful factors.

CONDITIONS: Darkness, quietness and temperature are often major factors. The optimum temperature for sleep is 63 F. Your bedding should be soft. Your bed should be large, and not placed in a corner. Finally, experts say you should sleep on your back (I personally get nightmares and so skip this one) because if you sleep on your stomach you make deep breathing impossible.

Other suggestions welcome! LB

I've just remembered - men apparently have problems sleeping with partners. Apparently this is because their prehistoric need to protect their mate becomes an issue. There should be no shame in sleeping in a different room if this is the case, especially the night before a meeting or something.

Well I do physical exersices when I have insomnia. And I do it in the same room not another like you wrote, and it still helps.

SEX LB SEX....It's a known fact dudes just roll over and snores after Sex...:p
mmm...I can't wait to get honest answers from the ladies on this one.

Lonesome Crow said:
SEX LB SEX....It's a known fact dudes just roll over and snores after Sex...:p
mmm...I can't wait to get honest answers from the ladies on this one.

And what with those who have no one ? like me lol
Actually I do physical exersices from the sex desire too, and it helps :D oh wait :(

I've read about a lot of the 'Environment' stuff before. Sadly it's already such a habit to read in bed, that to forego it almost makes the sleep issues worse...so, I still do that.

But I try to avoid other things.

I should probably keep my room neater. It's kind of chaotic, heh. But I think that might be why I find it easier to sleep when I'm at work...we keep our living quarters there immaculate. And even though my bed -is- in a corner, I still sleep better there than I do at home! We keep it about 70 degrees which is comfortable.

I try to sleep on my back but for some reason that's usually difficult. A big part of my sleep troubles comes down to finding the comfortable position for the night...and it seems like it's different every time. Sometimes I can fall asleep on my back, but usually it's one of my sides, sometimes my stomach, or maybe somewhere between my side and sleeping on my back.

I find I sleep best when my head is twisted completely around and stuffed between the mattress and the wall. I have a heck of a crick in the neck the next day, though.

Latest posts

Back