How to remove GET WINDOWS 10 notification

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
So I haven't posted anything here much since the Startup trouble, slow performance, and more... thread, I planned a host of honeysuckle like that but not had much motivation for it, anyway this is to get rid of that annoying notification for Windows 7 or 8. I've made it simple so everyone can do it if you wish.

jpbrlv.jpg

There's a few ways to disable this (GWX.exe) but I find it better, and easier, to just remove it. By the way, it makes no difference what so ever to the stability or performance by removing this.

29cxmj8.jpg

So this 'feature' sneaks onto your system via Windows Update, most users have updates to download & install automatically. The update in question is KB3035583 but don't worry about the letters and numbers if you're unfamiliar.

Go into Windows Update vis the control panel and click on Installed Updates.

2v3lsf6.jpg

There will be a list of installed updates here, there should be a lot, but there's a search box in the top right corner, just search for KB3035583 and it should display just that update. Once you see it, just right click and click Uninstall.

10nsvav.jpg

Once you've confirmed and restarted, you'll be pleased that there's no longer any harassment and a tidier System Tray.

t69qo2.jpg

Easy right? But we're not quite finished yet. For the people who have updates that automatically download and install it'll simply reappear once Windows does another update cycle. So now we need to stop it from downloading this honeysuckle again. Once again, go into Windows Update via control panel. But this time click Check for Updates. It might take a while because it's annoying the way it works, eventually it should display the update you removed (Aka annoying harassment update) if other updates appear just use the search box like you did earlier.

wrnbm0.jpg

Just a side note here: You'll notice how Windows Update presents it (as far as I'm concerned) to persuaded users to download it and be harassed into installing Win 10;

Recommended Update

Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. Blah Blah...

But if you search for this paricular update using Microsoft's own site it presents it quite differently:

Update installs Get Windows 10 app in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1

This update installs the Get Windows 10 app, which helps users understand their Windows 10 upgrade options and device readiness. For more information about Windows 10, see Windows 10.

Amazing, anyway, right click the update and click Hide Update. It should go into a kinda greyed out state. This just means that it wont download it.

vobqqx.jpg

Done. :)

Wow, I'm so glad I removed this update a long time ago, before it started showing off these adverts.

My Dad would have been very confused too.

Latest posts

Back