I feel invisible!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 188522

Reaction score
“It would be too easy to say that I feel invisible. Instead, I feel painfully visible, and entirely ignored.” —David Levithan

I dwell on my hurt feeling that my family ignores my connecting efforts. My gifts are not acknowledged, although I very thoughtfully picked them out. Yes! Ignoring me adds to my loneliness. I have no friends or neighbors. I am not religious; therefore, no fellowship. What I do have is fur and feather pets. My pets give me a purpose to rise each morning; however, I m lonely for human connection. I am afraid of Facebook. Anxiety sets in when the phone does ring ( Always Spam). I read a lot to escape, and it helps. I am retired and bored. My great adventures are trips to doctors, Dentists, and my Veterinarian. Hey, it feels good to vent.

Hello and welcome can relate to the feeling invisible(well visible but ignored) Sorry you don't have anyone IRL but hopefully you can find people to chat and bond with on here <3

I see and hear you. I'm glad that you have your pets, and hopefully you can find some people here. Welcome to the forum :)

Hi, What do you think about donating in my relative's name as a gift?I.e., Instead of a traditional birthday gift, I will be donating in your honor to Help in Suffering, located in Jaipur India

Hi, What do you think about donating in my relative's name as a gift?I.e., Instead of a traditional birthday gift, I will be donating in your honor to Help in Suffering, located in Jaipur India
Welcome to the forum! Glad you are posting too! Donating is always a nice thing to do. But, why have your relatives names tied to them? It's even easier to ignore donation gifts. Sometimes out of sight out of mind makes it easy to ignore people even if the intentions aren't to do that. Is it possible to physically visit them?

I have offered to visit many times; I don't even get a reply. I have not seen them in two years. I have made funny videos for their kids on birthdays and no response. I think you might be right out of sight, out of mind. Get them out of my mind. I am so hurt when they don't reply. If I ask did you receive my gift, I will get a reply, but we all know amazon alerts you when a gift is received. Blah blah, I could go on but won't. I will thank you for your excellent advice

IMO, I think I would just say that I will be coming over between XXX and XXX on XXXX day. Don't ask them. Then I would show up properly masked. If they let you in then great you can start talking with them and find out what the problem is. Maybe they mistakenly think you did something mean to them. Many hurt feelings have come from not discussing simple misunderstandings.

If nobody is home or they still reject you then it's probably time to forget about them and find a new family if you want to do that. Florida is a big state. But, maybe there is a senior center near where you live. They can be a great place if you keep an open mind. My grandparents moved into a retirement trailer park area after they retired and were always having fun with other people at the club house. They were happy.

IMO, I think I would just say that I will be coming over between XXX and XXX on XXXX day. Don't ask them. Then I would show up properly masked. If they let you in then great you can start talking with them and find out what the problem is. Maybe they mistakenly think you did something mean to them. Many hurt feelings have come from not discussing simple misunderstandings.

If nobody is home or they still reject you then it's probably time to forget about them and find a new family if you want to do that. Florida is a big state. But, maybe there is a senior center near where you live. They can be a great place if you keep an open mind. My grandparents moved into a retirement trailer park area after they retired and were always having fun with other people at the club house. They were happy.
I could do this on my nephew's 4th February birthday. All I need is the guts to leave my house. Your plan is a good one. I would know what they are thinking.

Do you have an animal shelter nearby? Perhaps you could volunteer there. Not only would you get to spend more time with animals, you might be able to make a connection with someone who works/volunteers there.

I've felt invisible all my life. It's preferable to being actively bullied or harassed, but not ideal all the same.

Do you have an animal shelter nearby? Perhaps you could volunteer there. Not only would you get to spend more time with animals, you might be able to make a connection with someone who works/volunteers there.
I wish I could get out of the house and off my property. I have trouble walking down the road to the mailbox; it has turned into fear of leaving after five years of isolation. Today is the first day I have reached out to communicate. Thank you for your suggestion. Maybe..... tomorrow I will be able to leave.

I wish I could get out of the house and off my property. I have trouble walking down the road to the mailbox; it has turned into fear of leaving after five years of isolation. Today is the first day I have reached out to communicate. Thank you for your suggestion. Maybe..... tomorrow I will be able to leave.
I have pretty much isolated myself for the past 12 years. I will say it feels weird now when I leave the house. It's kind of like getting off a plane and stepping out into a strange place. It feels quite disorienting. My advice is to take it slow so you don't feel overwhelmed.

“It would be too easy to say that I feel invisible. Instead, I feel painfully visible, and entirely ignored.” —David Levithan

I dwell on my hurt feeling that my family ignores my connecting efforts. My gifts are not acknowledged, although I very thoughtfully picked them out. Yes! Ignoring me adds to my loneliness. I have no friends or neighbors. I am not religious; therefore, no fellowship. What I do have is fur and feather pets. My pets give me a purpose to rise each morning; however, I m lonely for human connection. I am afraid of Facebook. Anxiety sets in when the phone does ring ( Always Spam). I read a lot to escape, and it helps. I am retired and bored. My great adventures are trips to doctors, Dentists, and my Veterinarian. Hey, it feels good to vent.
A great post, good humour too. There are a few of us here, living similar scenarios to you. Although, I had never seen it expressed as in the quoted text.

Reaching out and communicating on a forum was a good start. We don't bite as hard as your pets, so you made a good choice. In fact, we couldn't bite you if you wanted us to. We're virtual. Consider this a very safe zone, then.

I live with a bird with a mighty beak. Squirrels occassionally visit the deck. Like you, I bury myself in reading and projects. I am married, so I'm not totally isolated, but I've recently experienced a great exodus of friends from my life and, like you, it was mostly without any explanation or contact. So I feel isolated from the friends I once had and the social circles that have dissolved.

Hopefully you'll find plenty to talk about here. You seem to be doing very well so far.

Yeah, I went through a period when I had trouble leaving my property. Just keep trying. Go a little more outside your comfort zone each time and you'll make it eventually. And , most importantly, remember to breathe. :)

As others have said, many of us are living the same life if that comforts you in any way. I also spend a lot of time with my Dog, she's my whole world and I'm sure I'm not alone in that here. I like the way you mentioned reading as an "escape" for you, for me it's napping lol. Hard to explain, but I tend to nap as often as I can. Not sure if it's healthy but man, when I'm asleep I dream and it's awesome, definitely an "escape". In my dreams I'm never alone for some reason, I'm usually important and needed, it's almost as if I'm someone else lol, someone better, I'm not a nobody for those few moments. I always look forward to nodding off! And from what I understand, depression causes fatigue, low energy and sleepyness...well that's perfect, that plays right into my wheelhouse.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back