I hate shopping.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doubt The Rabbit

Reaction score
Unless it's grocery shopping. I hate malls, markets, and shops of all shapes and sizes and wares, but somehow grocery shopping, to me, is a lovely experience.
Firstly, there's the long and drawn out process of making my shopping list which lists each food, brand, store, and price of everything we keep in our kitchen. There is a master grocery list, which details each food and preferred brand, when to buy it, and how much is needed for a 2-week supply. Then, I go through the list, noting how many of each item we currently have. Then comes the weekly circulars where I conduct a "scavenger hunt" for each item on the list. Generally, I can find all of our preferred foods on sale in different stores. I also check for generic brands and their nutrition labels to see how it compares to more expensive name brands. Finally, I list each item for each store, how long the sale lasts, and how many I should buy. I also clip coupons and make sure I'm signed up for all the discount cards that stores offer (that really makes a difference). For me, it's fun to try and keep under budget. Let's say I have $150 to spend. Normally my grocery list comes under $150, and then with unexpected savings I could spend as little as $100-$120 to feed a food-loving family of three healthy food for two to three weeks. This really made my mother happy, considering she used to spend well over $400 at whole foods for the same amount of groceries.
Then, there's the atmosphere.
Most shops are pretty much fashion shows and popularity contests. You get guys hanging around not to buy stuff, but to pick up chicks. You get shitty store clerks. At the supermarkets I frequent, the crowd is generally a bunch of sweatpant-wearing moms who just want to get their honeysuckle and get out - just like me. The cashiers are friendly. The bakery smells like fresh-baked bread and the prepared food section smells like home-cooked meals.
It's also really nice when everything just works like clockwork. I'll time when the buses arrive, set a time limit for myself, go in, get my stuff, and be out within half an hour - just in time for the bus to take me back home.
However, nothing's more satisfying when I end up spending much less than I anticipated. Generally in clothing and retail shops I end up spending more, be it for increased prices as the clothing size increases or because I find other things that I need but can't really afford (but get it anyway). I also can't stand crowded shops. Supermarkets are spacious and comfortable on the weekends (especially sunday when everyone's at church).
Finally, it's fun thinking of all the foods I can cook and making shopping lists to introduce new foods to my family. I think I'd make a good mother and wife if it weren't for the fact that I don't want to be either one! :p
Next time I go shopping I'm going to pay a very close attention to nutrition labels so that I can create the ultimate grocery shopping system! :D

Anyway I just thought I'd share my feelings and wondered if anyone can relate. :) Grocery shopping is a duty I was very excited to take on.

(god I'm a freak...)

I was so lazy I used to order my groceries online and have them delivered. :D

I thought about doing that too if it would be cheaper, but it's not here :p

I'd also like to add that at the end of the two weeks I re-count everything in the kitchen and use the information to fine-tune the master grocery list based upon what we ate and didn't eat to see if we need more or less than an item.
For instance if I originally estimated 2 loaves of bread would last two weeks and we still had one loaf left over after a week and a half, I'd then adjust the master grocery list to "two small loaves" or "one loaf" for two weeks.

Recently I'd opted for 5 lbs of potatoes (just because they had it on sale) but we only ate 2 lbs and had 3 lbs leftover. I realized that it'd cost less to buy 2 lbs at regular price than 5 lbs on sale.
At the same time, I realized that buying 2 cartons of soy milk wouldn't last 2 weeks because we drink and use milk for cooking and baking. So I bumped it up to four cartons this week (which breaks even with the lessened amount of both sweet and golden potatoes) to see if it lasts longer.

I used to enjoy grocery shopping. I liked finding all sorts of delicious new things to try and buying loads of junk food for myself. :p

I don't do the grocery shopping at all anymore. And I'm just not really impressed with Norwegian grocery stores. They're OK but not as interesting as grocery stores in other places I used to live. So I happily let my husband do that and shop for everything else online. :cool:

Maybe I am the only strangeling who still loves grocery shopping :p I'd love to go shopping in other areas of the world...particularly anywhere I can pick up some batatas (which I happen to be able to buy at the farmer's market :D) and steam them!

You're not a freak. I don't hate it myself but dislike doing it. I get very nervous being in stores especially if they are busy. I still like to go look around see what there is. Just this weekend I was in Staples with my brother cause he wanted to buy a new laptop. I was looking at other things, like a gaming mouse, those ipads, and a carrying case for my mini laptop. It was really busy, lots of people wandering around and I had 2 sales people as if I needed help. I so wanted to get out of there fast but my brother was talking to a sales rep about what he wanted in a laptop. It was such a relief to finally leave.

Grocery shopping is ok for me since I am going to be getting some things I like. The only problem that pops up is when they decide to start playing sad love songs over the speaker system and I start to tear up.

Something I can enjoy even though I normally don't buy anything unless it's the spring is home improvement store shopping.

I hate shopping with other people. Grocery shopping with my mother or clothes shopping with my friends is horrible, but it's awesome if I go alone. Sadly, random people I don't know try petting my hair when I go out in public.

You make it sound so fun! I used to have a complete phobia about grocery shopping, but since I've been single it's been a lot better.

I was surprised to find out that the health food store across the street from me is actually cheaper than the regular grocery store, so I've enjoyed shopping there!

I'm obnoxious to shop with. I have to look at every little thing in the store. Grocery shopping is an even bigger nightmare for people that are with me -- I look at all of the labels, compare labels...

:club:

You need to plan my shopping for me lol. I like shopping. But it's never convenient for me. There's always a lack of time or product I want or money. I just get what I can and make it last however long it can.

Latest posts

Back