I love how games can help you unplug from painful reality

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhk

Reaction score
Just like my thread on Welcome to the NHK, I'm just putting this out there to broadcast how happy and safe I feel when playing a good rpg-- I just recently got back into playing single-player games with Nier:Automata. I absolutely love it. after around 30 minutes of playing, I love forgetting the world around me, the pain and stress, what that person said to me the other day, just basic stressors in my life-- I can just dash around and fight robots, upgrade my weapons and listen to a beautiful and triumphant soundtrack as I progress the story.

I adore media like that. Stuff that will periodically distract you from life's pain and let you enjoy your own headspace for a while, preoccupied with cool Sword fighting and tasks. I'll never stop playing videogames, and this is the reason.

Just like my thread on Welcome to the NHK, I'm just putting this out there to broadcast how happy and safe I feel when playing a good rpg-- I just recently got back into playing single-player games with Nier:Automata. I absolutely love it. after around 30 minutes of playing, I love forgetting the world around me, the pain and stress, what that person said to me the other day, just basic stressors in my life-- I can just dash around and fight robots, upgrade my weapons and listen to a beautiful and triumphant soundtrack as I progress the story.

I adore media like that. Stuff that will periodically distract you from life's pain and let you enjoy your own headspace for a while, preoccupied with cool Sword fighting and tasks. I'll never stop playing videogames, and this is the reason.

This is kind of how I used to be as a kid. I don't mean that in a critical way, just that it was how I was at the time. It always bothered me a little, but at the same time not that much, that I wasn't "cool", or rich, or didn't have a girlfriend, because I could get lost in a world of my action figures and other toys, or make believe, and later on, video games as well.

Stuff like this doesn't really work for me anymore though, nothing makes up for or takes the edge off the fact that I'm not where I want to be in life (no money, no girlfriend, not good at anything/not interesting/no ideas, hard to be interested in/excited about/care about/truly enjoy anything in life because I don't have those things and don't see it getting better, and other reasons) except drinking until I don't want to move. And I wouldn't even say drinking makes me feel happy, I would say that it makes me not feel at all. Distractions just don't cut it anymore. The only thing that will make me feel better, is my life actually getting better. But that feels like it is probably impossible.

But, I see what you're saying, and it's good you have something that brings you joy. I wish I could go back to how I felt as a kid, but I would have to go back to the world as it was, and me as I was - not as it is now, or as I am now. Otherwise, it wouldn't work.

Last edited:
I think everyone needs something to help escape real life for awhile, I play games for the same reason.

Yep, totally get it! I’m 50 and video games are one of my main ways of escapism. Just finished Horizon: Forbidden West and feeling a little bummed it’s over. I have Elden Ring, but have yet to really get into it despite the rave reviews its gotten. Guess I just need to give it more of a chance.

Latest posts

Back