I need a name for a race of sentient robots....

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edgecrusher

Reaction score
I'm going to attempt to write a science fiction, "cyberpunkish" novel. I have an outline started. I need a name for the race of sentient robots. If possible, I'd like for the name to be a combination of existing philosophical, religious, or otherwise contextually appropriate words having to do with creation, sentience, autonomy, etc. For example: my favorite band often writes songs about this sort of science fiction. Their last album was titled "Genexus." Seemingly a combination of genesis and nexus. I have been stumped on this for quite some time and it is hindering my ability to progress with my outline. Anyone have any suggestions?

Hmmmm, interesting question. I would have to do a bit of research on the subject, but off the top of my head, how about 'Parthenosynth'? Partheno means 'without fertilization' and, of course, synth is just another name for a robot. Anyway, I just woke up so I'll give your question some more thought later today.

Synth is a go-to name, as seen in Fallout 4. Maybe something along those lines with a twist? Even something like Zynth, with the emphasis on these sentient beings being a very advanced form of Synth.

Thank you both for responding.

I like the way you're thinking ringwood. I had not thought to use "partheno" as I was unfamiliar with that word. Though I think I'm trying to stay away from things already being used if possible. So I had kind of written off using the word synth. I haven't really searched scientific terms yet. Mainly religious ones involving creation so I'll have to start looking into that.

I think is a good idea to make up a word altogether. To create a new acronym or portmanteau is hard these days.
You could use the word Psynetic, it means "moving soul" by combining greek words.

How about 'Promethi' or 'Prometi', as a spin off of Prometheus, if you're down the mythical route?

Seosa said:
How about 'Promethi' or 'Prometi', as a spin off of Prometheus, if you're down the mythical route?

Daedalions?

Is this name going to be the name they call themselves or the name that others gave to them?

Black Manta said:
Seosa said:

Daedalions?

Is this name going to be the name they call themselves or the name that others gave to them?

It'll be their "official" name that their human creator gave them. I'll try to come up with nicknames and slurs for them based on whatever their name is that some people will call them.

That's why I created my own dialect, so I can choose the words and how they sound.

Geomods.
Just off the top of my head, but if I suggest something, if a sentient race of robots named themselves, they wouldn't name themselves according to what they are, but according to what they DO. Effeciency and all that jazz, they would probably prefer describing purpose rather than being.
So I don't know what your motivation or what place they have in your story, but IMO it should be short, serve as an easily rememberable "hook" word and be descriptive of the function they perform. The name I suggest, for example, based on your Genesis and Nexus idea, is a central core of thought which creates or destroys. Geo-mods or Geomods, Geo for geography, mod for their creation or destruction function.

Just an idea that hopefully helps you get one yourself ;-)

i was very fascinated by a synthetic race featured in supreme commander, a group of syntetic androids that called themselves "The cybran nation"

Gravitrons maybe  :D reminds me of ratcher&clank

You first need an origin, where did they come from? How did they evolve into a sentient race? What was their purpose before this evolution?

If it's to be their official name given to them by their human creators, what about "Cyberpersonnel"?
And if they're sentient they'll have found their own name for themselves....AIFolk? NeoPeople?

Latest posts

Back