I realize friends come and go. Your best bet is to be your own best friend cuz you're stuck with you for life.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azariah

Reaction score
im 31 and I just realize this now.
I've had so many wonderful friends from all walks of life and how I wish I could relive all the times we've had so much fun together. but time is fleeting and nothing lasts forever. even as im typing this now im aware that this moment will be in the past too, even forgotten maybe. it's kinda sad but I've got to make peace with it cuz there's really nothing I can do about it.

We're a bit short-sighted on what we call friends, I rather think.
I always viewed friendship the same way as romantic relationships; you get back what you put in. Some, very few of them, the ones that matter, will be long lasting. That means that if you pick up the phone and havent spoken to them in 5 years, the minute you say hi will be like it was just 15 minutes ago.
The majority of it will be failed ones, or one night stands. For a variety of reasons, usually tied to personnality or social issues. They might fulfill you for a time, but when it becomes too one sided, it ends.
However, you don't get to have the first ones if you're not willing to go through an ungodly amount of the second ones, I gather.
So being your best friend...I talk to myself sometimes to, but there's somethings I can only talk to others with. That's when I pick up the phone.
A defeatist line of thinking usually ends up a self-fulfilling prophesy no one should have to witness coming true.

I'm 31 too, and with basically no friends.
Despite how much I dislike it, I've come to accept it. I just talk to people every day and smile. Let come what comes... if they want to stay and get closer, they will, otherwise they won't. It's fine though... I won't force anyone.

I'm 31 too, and with basically no friends.
Despite how much I dislike it, I've come to accept it. I just talk to people every day and smile. Let come what comes... if they want to stay and get closer, they will, otherwise they won't. It's fine though... I won't force anyone.
I am a lot older then you but feel the exact same way, I am sociable and very friendly, but I don't go looking...

A defeatist line of thinking usually ends up a self-fulfilling prophesy no one should have to witness coming true.
Is true, but some of us can't handle rejection on a mass scale. TBH, I stick to actively looking for a partner only (typically) 5 years after the last time I did. Rejection just hits me too hard, too deep. Anything beyond 5 years, starts to feel like another lifetime to me, so that's the safe point. If I push myself through too much rejection in too short of a period, the next step will likely be to take a long walk off a short dock with a cinder block.

if we were stuck with our friends forever would we get tired of them???

I've had so many wonderful friends from all walks of life and how I wish I could relive all the times we've had so much fun together. but time is fleeting and nothing lasts forever. even as im typing this now im aware that this moment will be in the past too, even forgotten maybe. it's kinda sad but I've got to make peace with it cuz there's really nothing I can do about it.
Your post struck a chord with me because I was about your age when I came to the same realization. And for me, it wasn't easy to accept. I took it personal a lot because I just saw it as ¨people being shady¨. But the reality is that life is just a stage play where different actors and actresses drop in and out all the time. Some come back for act 2. Some just have a small cameo role. And truthfully, the most unrealistic thing I expected when I was younger was that anyone who fell within my orbit for 5 minutes was just a part of my life forever.

But people get tired. They get busy. They grow. They shrink. They start families. They lose them. The world is a fast and loud and heavy place to bear and I couldn't keep taking it personal that people just wanted to stay in with sweats binging shows and spending time with their loved ones. In a way, its made me a lot more self sufficient and I just want everyone to be OK now, even if you cant have friends the way that you used to when you were younger.

I also meant to reply to you about the video link in your signature (completely slipped my mind the other day).

It was so random and out of the blue, but I discovered that VERY SAME link/video sometime during the pandemic and kind of fell down a 90s Japanese hip hop rabbit hole. Learned a lot about that genre. My absolute fave is the very first track. Dont know what anyone is saying, but you cant deny a good sound when you hear.

Latest posts

Back