I remember one of the main reasons why I was turned off to gaming

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 176211

Reaction score
I think gaming habits ebb and flow for most people for many reasons. Life happens.

I think for the most part, somewhere in their 20s, folks might slow down considerably because of the demands of life. Work. Family. Kids. Being caretakers. etc. Whatever you can think of.

For me, I think it was a combination of the adult working life, and being a caretaker. But I also identified another reason I stay away from gaming culture altogether, or at least don´t make it known to people that I enjoy a good game or two.

One of the main reasons is because of the stigma that gamers carry. Things become stigmas and cliches for a reason. I just got tired of that community where there is always a definitive black and white side of things. You either HAVE to be PS, or Xbox, or PC. You can never just be a guy with a PS and a PC, or an Xbox AND a PS or Switch.

So as an example, I will highlight one of the conversations that would make my toes curl in my shoe everytime it´d happen. There is this guy at work who is a fervent Xbox/Android fan. To him, you are ¨dumb¨ if you have a PS or iPhone. He´ll legit say that in a conversation. This would be completely normal on say, the playground of a middle school. But a bunch of 30-somethings having a chat in a breakroom at work makes it awkward.

Random Person: ¨Hey guys! I finally got a playstation 4¨
The Guy: ¨Thats dumb! Xbox is where its at!¨

Its just awkward and makes everyone feel uncomfortable.

And stuff like that would usually devolve into how whatever movie you like is ¨wack¨ or ¨that was dumb¨. Stuff like this always makes me feel awkward because I genuinely care about little everyday conversation you can have with people about TV shows or what their favorite movie picks are. That´s how we learn about cool little things we would have otherwise never known about.

So I´ve stayed away from conversations like this and just try to follow the flow of non gaming people who just discuss family or travel or whatever was on TV last night or something.

Truly, I miss gaming. Now a days, it has to be something that I consider big to delve into a game; like a new Arkham game, or Spider-Man, or a new Grand Theft Auto. Ghost of Tsushima 2 will be big for me.
And I have to admit that I have a secret love affair with the Phoenix Wright games haha!! I am currently playing the Great Ace Attorney that takes place during the Meiji era of Japan, and you get to play as Phoenix Wright´s great, great, grandfather.

I also identified another reason I stay away from gaming culture altogether, or at least don´t make it known to people that I enjoy a good game or two.

One of the main reasons is because of the stigma that gamers carry. Things become stigmas and cliches for a reason. I just got tired of that community where there is always a definitive black and white side of things. You either HAVE to be PS, or Xbox, or PC. You can never just be a guy with a PS and a PC, or an Xbox AND a PS or Switch.

So as an example, I will highlight one of the conversations that would make my toes curl in my shoe everytime it´d happen. There is this guy at work who is a fervent Xbox/Android fan. To him, you are ¨dumb¨ if you have a PS or iPhone. He´ll legit say that in a conversation. This would be completely normal on say, the playground of a middle school. But a bunch of 30-somethings having a chat in a breakroom at work makes it awkward.

Random Person: ¨Hey guys! I finally got a playstation 4¨
The Guy: ¨Thats dumb! Xbox is where its at!¨

Its just awkward and makes everyone feel uncomfortable.

And stuff like that would usually devolve into how whatever movie you like is ¨wack¨ or ¨that was dumb¨.

I hear you. It's like that in the car world too, or with bands. "You like that car? It's slow/not a 'man's car'." "You like that band? They suck!" It's like, can't people enjoy things without it turning into some kind of tough-guy competition?

(That said I guess I can be a hypocrite at times, because I criticize the specific kind of hip hop that's all about money, sex, and power all the time. I just don't think it is good musically, and I think it promotes a dumbed-down, survival of the fittest, regression to a cold world mentality. Post Malone is my current biggest offender, but all of mumble rap I feel is no good. And I half-jokingly, half-seriously feel like 50 Cent was a prophet of this modern, messed-up world, not only musically but culturally. His attitude/personality pretty much is culture now - it's all about cold, uncaring competition, survival of the fittest, money and sex and being "badass", and if you have more of these things than someone else, you're better than them, and if someone has more of those things than you, they're better than you, and other things don't factor in - neither does not making it a competition at all. But I don't insult specific people for liking it. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I just don't care for that particular style.)

But aside from that, generally, yeah. People should be allowed to just like things.

I genuinely care about little everyday conversation you can have with people about TV shows or what their favorite movie picks are. That´s how we learn about cool little things we would have otherwise never known about.

I agree with this too. Talking about things like this and either finding that you have tastes in common, or introducing each other to new stuff you like, is definitely fun and helps build connections. But it's hard to get people to open up if they think they are going to be attacked for their tastes right away.

I don't know. I think you can still talk about gaming. A lot of my friends game, and aren't like the people you described. I think it's less about gamers themselves, and more about the individual's personality. I'd say just look for gamers that are more laid-back and non-confrontational.

Last edited:
I don't know. I think you can still talk about gaming. A lot of my friends game, and aren't like the people you described. I think it's less about gamers themselves, and more about the individual's personality. I'd say just look for gamers that are more laid-back and non-confrontational.
I should probably clarify this. I do agree that its still good to talk about gaming with like minded people, but I guess I meant that people in NON-gaming culture usually hear the chit chat and the image that they immediately think of is that loud brash ¨my system is better¨ guy.

Also, I agree about the mention you made of the car world. I drive a pretty popular american muscle sports car. Lets just say that a lot of other people do too (its not like an exotic one or super expensive to own). But people with the SAME EXACT car will pull up and start revving the engine and try to zoom past you... with the same exact car... just to demonstrate... I dont even know how to finish this sentence lol. Just because, I guess. It never made sense to me and it makes me cringe on the inside.

I remember once, this guy tried to rev his engine to high hell next to me. ANd when the light hit, he took off like a bat out of hell (I guess he taught me a lesson). He was unprepared for the fact that I had to pull into the same parkinglot he did. To enter the same exact convenient store he did. He was going above and beyond to not make eye contact with me haha!!!

But yea, EVERYTHING, I have come to notice, is a ¨choose a side¨ kind of thing these days.

Latest posts

Back