If you’re so smart, explain this?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since no one's yet brought the perspective up, I'll answer the question from a Biblical world view. I recognize that too few here may respect it, but you should at least be aware of it.

Pride, by God's objective standard, is one of the worst sins. Why? Because it takes glory from him and places it upon yourself. It praises the "creation" instead of the "Creator."

Having said that, I don't think its wrong to rate or judge things accurately or honestly. Meaning, there are some 9's and 10's out there in the looks department, and I wouldn't consider it a sin if they rated themselves correctly in a discrete manner. However, I would consider it more telling of a good spirit if a person expresses humbleness in all matters affecting themselves. I think it's far more preferable to underrate yourself and have others think higher of you, than to overrate yourself and have others think less of you. It's also easier to live up to the lower expectations - from others and yourself.

Since no one's yet brought the perspective up, I'll answer the question from a Biblical world view. I recognize that too few here may respect it, but you should at least be aware of it.

Pride, by God's objective standard, is one of the worst sins. Why? Because it takes glory from him and places it upon yourself. It praises the "creation" instead of the "Creator."

Having said that, I don't think its wrong to rate or judge things accurately or honestly. Meaning, there are some 9's and 10's out there in the looks department, and I wouldn't consider it a sin if they rated themselves correctly in a discrete manner. However, I would consider it more telling of a good spirit if a person expresses humbleness in all matters affecting themselves. I think it's far more preferable to underrate yourself and have others think higher of you, than to overrate yourself and have others think less of you. It's also easier to live up to the lower expectations - from others and yourself.
I'm curious. So, I always under rate myself in every aspect of my life. I feel like it's wrong to brag about myself. I don't like doing it. But, is it a sin to always under rate yourself? Is it a sin to be negative? Is it a sin to think badly of yourself?

You know…! This is sooo interesting, I talk about this a lot and it feels like a deep belief no one can explain and to know it has religious ties its like aspects of religion still lives through society. I am agnostic but I do appreciate all views on anything I post. In fact this… has cheered me up, thanks 😇

Because arrogance is actually a form of fear and not confidence, it's based in a pathological fear of being judged.

Because arrogance is actually a form of fear and not confidence, it's based in a pathological fear of being judged.
You knowww I have never heard this before, I wonder if many people think of arrogant people as afraid? And if they do.. why they feel the need to tear them down even more… making them more afraid and thus more arrogant… this is going to lead me down a rabbit hole, I guess when sharks smell blood?

So...acknowledging arrogance...or questioning the use...or liking common literary subtext? Maybe oceanic lifeforms mistakes?

I wonder if many people think of arrogant people as afraid?
I don't think they do, because I don't think many people other than mental health types like psychologists, ever really study this kind of stuff.. (Oh, and me..😕)
why they feel the need to tear them down even more… making them more afraid and thus more arrogant…
I don't really know, but I guess it's probably more of the same.... fear on their part.
this is going to lead me down a rabbit hole,
Well I certainly hope not....

The next time you see somebody (arrogant) who is bragging about their new house maybe, or possibly their job title and salary, maybe their new porche....??? Think to yourself: what am I seeing here..? am I seeing somebody that has it all and is a huge success... or am I seeing somebody that is struggling with low self worth and desperately seeking validation from wherever they can get it...???

I don't think they do, because I don't think many people other than mental health types like psychologists, ever really study this kind of stuff.. (Oh, and me..😕)

I don't really know, but I guess it's probably more of the same.... fear on their part.

Well I certainly hope not....

The next time you see somebody (arrogant) who is bragging about their new house maybe, or possibly their job title and salary, maybe their new porche....??? Think to yourself: what am I seeing here..? am I seeing somebody that has it all and is a huge success... or am I seeing somebody that is struggling with low self worth and desperately seeking validation from wherever they can get it...???
You know what I love to study human behaviours I’d do a degree in it, because I love it that much.

The issue is, I cant seem to agree on what bragging is, is announcing im so happy im on the housing ladder bragging? My mum mentions pointless details about my house to people I see that as bragging and she says oh? Is it a lie im just telling the truth! 😂

thus… i can never seem to work it out, now also, maybe it depends on your individual value system as well, only job title im impressed with is a Dr… so if thats not what they’re talking about I will value it at 0 and cant begin to see it as bragging. Make any sense ?

Hiya... I have to go to work now, but when I get home later today I'm going to reply to you. Hope you have a good day.

I'm curious. So, I always under rate myself in every aspect of my life. I feel like it's wrong to brag about myself. I don't like doing it. But, is it a sin to always under rate yourself? Is it a sin to be negative? Is it a sin to think badly of yourself?
There's no such thing as "sin," it's a fake condition created by the church a very, very long time ago to make people feel guilty. Without guilt and fear religion would not exist. Having said that, there's nothing wrong with bragging on yourself when you are proud of something. You should never underrate yourself either. Learn to like yourself and brag sometimes. Of course if that's all you do you might become an obnoxious prick, lol, but I don't think that's what you mean.

To Sir Joseph, I used to be an xtian. Then I began to realize in forty something years I had never had a single prayer answered. There were times I faked it, made assumptions, but never a real answer. And I've seen many, many people pray for things their entire life and nothing. When something does happen that people are praying for those people praying they give god the credit when the credit, as in me getting better, had nothing to do with god, it was doctors and my stubborn determination to get better. But yeah, you can't tell anyone that. They would be offended.
When I realized I had no prayers answered I began to examine my religion in a different light. Much of the Bible is absurd, horrible, or down right disgusting. The god in it is a cruel, hateful, selfish thing. He murdered the whole world except for Noah and his family, because he was pissed at them. Would you do that yourself? The whole idea of the Ark and animals is stupid. Think about it. Do the math and you'll see that it is impossible. But then there's the problem of incest. Only Noah's family survived so, um, to repopulate the earth it was brother and sister, maybe father and daughter, sons and mother, etc.. The Bible says that's a sin but if the Noah story is true, we are all here because of it.
That's only one example. Why was David so favored of god when he was a liar, a murderer, adulterer, and all around jerk? Why was it necessary for entire cities destroyed when the Israelites moved back from Egypt? And how was it justified for the men to take women and young girls as sex slaves? There's much more that I could point out.
I researched the church and its origins in historical texts, not what the Bible said. That was an enlightening thing. So if there really was a god I'm afraid I would not praise him but ask those questions and a lot more. One doesn't exist so there's no worries for me.

Last edited:

Finished, I won't claim expertise at defining sin since I've certainly been negligent in recognizing it in my own life in many subtle ways - like lusting after a girl being equated to adultery or hating being equated to murder. From my Christian view though, I don't see how underrating yourself would be a sin. I do it myself constantly with many aspects of my life - in looks, smarts, talents, and other things. I consider it honesty and humbleness - something to be pursued and something to be respected in others.

Is it a sin to be negative or to think badly about yourself? I can't imagine why or how, though I could be missing a Biblical connection somehow. It's not an offense against God (which is what sin is) or against others for that matter. Rather than being a sin, or moral wrong, I think a low self esteem or self identity - not to be confused with humbleness - is a result of not understanding one's value in this world to God, and not fulfilling that purpose in life.

Anyone needing an infusion of self worth might do well to memorize Psalms 139:13-16:

For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place,
when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes saw my unformed body;
all the days ordained for me were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

Proper confidence doesn't flaunt, it kind of just exists and is, you know, kinda like the carton of orange juice in your fridge that you ignore in favor of your coffee in the morning: Ya gotta use it before it expires, but also, you're not going to ecstatically knock on your neighbor's door at 3:00 A.M. to tell them you have orange juice, are you?

If you're decent at math, it's really all just a few factors of probability, that's all that it is.

I don't think anybody prefers to have insecurity, the thing about being humbled is that you LEARN something from the experience, or rather you're supposed to, anyhow. Nobody grows by just being right all the time. You've got to be wrong in order to grow, sometimes several times over, sometimes several times more than you would've ever imagined before.

Both the advancements of modern medicine and mechanics of machinery and electronics got to where they are today through countless instances of Reverse-Engineering: "I don't understand how this works, so I've gotta take it apart and try to put it back together again so that I can understand how it works and is made."

And over time that lesson grows through practical applications, again, through the same trial and error processes.

Latest posts

Back