I'm a Newbie

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carmel Dharma

Reaction score
Hello!

I am a 52-year-old man, I am retired, and I am a live-in caregiver for my developmentally disabled sister. I struggle with feelings of loneliness and isolation as well as a growing sense of increasing invisibility (when I’m out in public) as I grow older – I just get the sense that I am less visible to others, that due to my age I seem to be overlooked a bit more, or just not acknowledged as much. Do others experience this? This sense of invisibility just further feeds my sense of isolation and loneliness.

I also believe in the phenomena of social atrophy – that as we age into our 30’s, 40’s, 50’s and beyond, many of our social contacts, peer groups and even close friends can start to fall away (if we’re not vigilant), either through social attrition, changes in health or financial status, changes in loved ones’ circumstances, deaths, etc.

I am working hard to maintain awareness of this specific type of atrophy in my life. I counter it by continuing to reach out into the community to make new social connections. Most recently, I joined a local rotary club, which involves volunteering with like-minded individuals. I also do my best to get out of the house and see my friends several time per week.

As others on this forum have stated, it is sometimes hard to go home after a successful social get-together. I always must return to the isolation of my home, which is hard for me. I feel like I am still not doing enough, that I am not getting enough of my social needs met, despite my efforts and current successes. It still feels like a lot of the time that I live in a bubble. Can others relate to this?

Other Stuff About Me:

I have been a musician (drummer) most of my life and I have played in many different bands in many different venues throughout my career. I also mess around with the bass guitar. I have not played my drum kit since 2019, however.

I like to bake (for other people). The more chocolate, sugar and fat, the better. I have a double chocolate, white chocolate chunk cookie recipe that will put a person on the ground. Good stuff.

Favorite podcast – Conan O’Brien Needs a Friend. Hilarious.

I recently discovered classical music – Russian composers really grab me. I really enjoy some of the piano concertos of Rachmaninoff, Tchaikovsky and Prokofiev.

Looking forward to getting to know this community better. Looks like a good group of people.

Welcome to the forum. I know what you mean about feeling invisible, but I think I’ve always felt quite invisible.

Welcome to the forum! Nice introduction! I'm in my 50s too. You are right about social circles drying up and becoming invisible. However, I've embraced it. I actually prefer to stay solo. Over the years of self isolation I feel WAY more comfortable alone. I hope you enjoy the site. To see where people current are click on 'What's new' near the top.

Welcome to the forum. I know what you mean about feeling invisible, but I think I’ve always felt quite invisible.
Hello KimP, nice to meet you. I appreciate your reply, and it reminds me that feeling invisible is not just a function of age. Thank you. Hopefully you are feeling more visible on this forum?

Welcome to the forum! Nice introduction! I'm in my 50s too. You are right about social circles drying up and becoming invisible. However, I've embraced it. I actually prefer to stay solo. Over the years of self isolation I feel WAY more comfortable alone. I hope you enjoy the site. To see where people current are click on 'What's new' near the top.
Hello Finished! I've been on this forum for a few days now, and have enjoyed some of your posts/replies. I admire that you have actively embraced your solitude, which is something that I need to become more comfortable with in my own life. Seems like you are solidly centered in your life, which is good to see. I appreciate the welcome, thank you!

Welcome to the forums.

I have been meaning to get back to one of my old text books that had a section that sounds pretty similar to you concept of social atrophy. Though while I am thinking about getting around to reading, it sounds like you are actively working on the situation. That is pretty impressive. Again welcome. :)

Hello KimP, nice to meet you. I appreciate your reply, and it reminds me that feeling invisible is not just a function of age. Thank you. Hopefully you are feeling more visible on this forum?
I often feel more visible online, if only superficially. People tend to talk to me more and seem interested, but eventually I realise that it’s a transitory interest before something more interesting comes along. I don’t blame anyone, everyone is busy with their own lives and I’m not so big headed to think that I deserve their undivided attention.

Welcome to the forums.

I have been meaning to get back to one of my old text books that had a section that sounds pretty similar to you concept of social atrophy. Though while I am thinking about getting around to reading, it sounds like you are actively working on the situation. That is pretty impressive. Again welcome. :)
Hello Minus, nice to meet you. I appreciate your encouragement as well as the welcome, so thank you!

I often feel more visible online, if only superficially. People tend to talk to me more and seem interested, but eventually I realise that it’s a transitory interest before something more interesting comes along. I don’t blame anyone, everyone is busy with their own lives and I’m not so big headed to think that I deserve their undivided attention.
I appreciate your honesty. Yes, there is a certain superficiality inherent in online communications; for me anyway, there is more depth with in-person interactions. But I'm not complaining, I am enjoying talking with you and others in this format, so I am grateful.

I agree with this hugely. People online tend to get bored and move onto new people fairly easily then never come back. But because its online they don't have to explain why or reply, so you'll never know nor understand. It should never be the way, but unfortunately it's the case because I've had it happen to me countless times.

I agree with this hugely. People online tend to get bored and move onto new people fairly easily then never come back. But because its online they don't have to explain why or reply, so you'll never know nor understand. It should never be the way, but unfortunately it's the case because I've had it happen to me countless times.
Absolutely agree with you. Seems like there is zero accountability online re: one's actions and behaviors. Brutal.

Latest posts

Back