I'm ready to scream! I need help!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Rose

Reaction score
My dog was attacked by a Pitt bull whose owner after multiple complaints from other tenants, didn't have it leashed. One 540 dollar bill later, and she lies telling animal control crap to get her off. So now until the footage is seen, I have to walk my dog on my side despite there being public access. I feel punished now even though I was doing just that anyway. That owner after pulling her dog off didn't so much as say sorry or ask if my dog was ok. When animal control told her about my bill she said,"Well, my dog has holes in him." The animal control was supposed to make her put a muzzle on him, but now she doesn't because animal control wants everyone to be heard. The reason is it hasn't (according to the owner) ever attacked.

What can I legally do? I have been civil and kind trying to let the authorities handle it, but I'm sure I'm going to have to advocate for myself.

I want that freaking dog muzzled and leashed because I have small grandbabies that play on the playground. I want my money back! Every extra penny I have goes to help my son because he can't work due to chemotherapy. My poor dog whined that whole evening.
Can someone help me? I need to know where to go for information and how to know what my rights are. I will not live somewhere where I don't feel safe. God I'm so mad

If there is footage, sue the owner.
There is footage, but it's not been pulled yet. The woman in the office says they do not let the tenants see the footage. However, the animal control will watch it once it's available. I plan on sueing her, but I can't have the footage

Well, you don't necessarily need to have the footage. A court has every right to request it, then your lawyer (or you, if you represent yourself) will be able to see it as it will be evidence.
I don't understand why they wouldn't immediately watch the footage considering there was an attack. Even if the landlord wouldn't give it up, the cops could demand it. Not sure if you are in America or not, though, so many it's different where you are.
Seems like if there is a pit bull involved, people jump to get it taken care of. Either the pit bull activists or the pit bull haters.

My dog was attacked by a Pitt bull whose owner after multiple complaints from other tenants, didn't have it leashed. One 540 dollar bill later, and she lies telling animal control crap to get her off. So now until the footage is seen, I have to walk my dog on my side despite there being public access. I feel punished now even though I was doing just that anyway. That owner after pulling her dog off didn't so much as say sorry or ask if my dog was ok. When animal control told her about my bill she said,"Well, my dog has holes in him." The animal control was supposed to make her put a muzzle on him, but now she doesn't because animal control wants everyone to be heard. The reason is it hasn't (according to the owner) ever attacked.

What can I legally do? I have been civil and kind trying to let the authorities handle it, but I'm sure I'm going to have to advocate for myself.

I want that freaking dog muzzled and leashed because I have small grandbabies that play on the playground. I want my money back! Every extra penny I have goes to help my son because he can't work due to chemotherapy. My poor dog whined that whole evening.
Can someone help me? I need to know where to go for information and how to know what my rights are. I will not live somewhere where I don't feel safe. God I'm so mad
I am so sorry for you and your dog. Not a fan of pitbulls here and I know there are people who defend them, but they are a vicious breed and that was the intent when people had to mess with mother nature and crossbreed them to be vicious herders.

Sorry I don't really have any suggestions to offer to you that haven't already been said. Police department or an attorney if your animal control is anything like it is here.

Black Rose, this is terrible. My biggest weakness is dogs because I love them so much and I feel so bad for you and your dog.

There is footage, but it's not been pulled yet. The woman in the office says they do not let the tenants see the footage. However, the animal control will watch it once it's available. I plan on sueing her, but I can't have the footage
What kind of crap is this? They don't let the tenants see the footage? You know what's going on here? They know you are in the right and as soon as you see the footage they know you are going after them.
You can get a lawyer. You can also get the other tenants together to file a group complaint and submit it to both the property owners and police.
Great idea and also the one about involving the police.

What also gets me furious is that Black Rose said the other dog owner did not apologize. Unacceptable behavior. I do like dogs as I said but that does not extend to pit bulls.

100% get the police involved. Animal control may have too many hoops to go through.
Here animal control files the report, not the police. When a complaint is made the police department call animal control to go out.

Well, you don't necessarily need to have the footage. A court has every right to request it, then your lawyer (or you, if you represent yourself) will be able to see it as it will be evidence.
I don't understand why they wouldn't immediately watch the footage considering there was an attack. Even if the landlord wouldn't give it up, the cops could demand it. Not sure if you are in America or not, though, so many it's different where you are.
Seems like if there is a pit bull involved, people jump to get it taken care of. Either the pit bull activists or the pit bull haters.
I'm taking her to court. I think I can ask the judge to make her pay the bill.

Black Rose, this is terrible. My biggest weakness is dogs because I love them so much and I feel so bad for you and your dog.

What kind of crap is this? They don't let the tenants see the footage? You know what's going on here? They know you are in the right and as soon as you see the footage they know you are going after them.

Great idea and also the one about involving the police.

What also gets me furious is that Black Rose said the other dog owner did not apologize. Unacceptable behavior. I do like dogs as I said but that does not extend to pit bulls.
Thank you.

I am so sorry for you and your dog. Not a fan of pitbulls here and I know there are people who defend them, but they are a vicious breed and that was the intent when people had to mess with mother nature and crossbreed them to be vicious herders.

Sorry I don't really have any suggestions to offer to you that haven't already been said. Police department or an attorney if your animal control is anything like it is here.
You are supportive. Thank you for that and for replying.

Have you talked to property management?
They might have some policies and procedures in place for this kind of a thing.
Sometimes it happens.

A similar situation happened to me years ago wherein an upstairs tenant had an aggressive and loud dog, but the dog was aggressive because the owners were physically abusive and would beat the dog.

I agree with Callie on trying to get it on recording, because that's how we reported those people for abusing their dog.

Have you talked to property management?
They might have some policies and procedures in place for this kind of a thing.
Sometimes it happens.

A similar situation happened to me years ago wherein an upstairs tenant had an aggressive and loud dog, but the dog was aggressive because the owners were physically abusive and would beat the dog.

I agree with Callie on trying to get it on recording, because that's how we reported those people for abusing their dog.
I'm trying. The manager was informed Monday the 19th about it and so far they say they are having trouble with getting the footage. They have contacted someone from out of state. The maintenance guy told me he had to go In the loft and do something with the camera which sounds odd. Anyway, I was told I can't look at the footage. I will request it from the police like Callie said, that is if they get it. I hope it's on a cloud because cameras have loops where they record over previous video. Thank you for replying.

Hmmm. The law doesn't do much because they do NOT care about people any more well, unless your lawyer forces them to do something and then they still might choose to do nothing. I've had proof of violent crimes against me. I was willing and wanting to testify against them in court. I made sure the cop wrote that down during the interview with me. Well, the court had a pre-trial conference, without notifing me, and dropped all charges. Just like that. The court made about $600 in court fees. The person paid their attorney about a grand or so. And I got no justice and no restitution. The court didn't care. They didn't want to tie up a court just for some private thing. There are way too many high court earners waiting to be heard. They'll just say it's a Corona Virus thing or due to a shortage of staff blaa, blaa, blaa.

The law only protects themselves and their income streams like tickets, etc, etc. The law doesn't have to do anything though. So, they usually don't. It's easier for them that way. They mostly focus on getting guns off the street because they are scared they will be used against them. Then there's never a cop around until an officer involved shooting. Then there are 30 - 40 just standing around for hours and hours.

However, you can personally sue the person. It will be expensive and a total pain in the ass. Your attorney will only care about making as much money as he/she can. But, if you pay them they will do what you want. Like others have already said, the attorney can usually get any video that's available.

Also, if you win you'll just get a judgement. Then you have to collect the money. The court may not even want to get involved with that. So, you'll have to file more paperwork if the person doesn't want to pay you. Or, they, can always appeal the decision too.

I'm more of the mindset of getting even with the person. Obviously it's a bad person so they deserve anything you do to them. The law usually won't do anything to you IF their is no easily seen proof, and the person doesn't die. Using guns is a sure way to get noticed though. You'd be surprised how many murders take place in most cities. They don't show up on the news and nobody talks about them. I've been shot at twice with a cop within half a mile sitting in their care, windows up, and waiting for their shift to end.

Last edited:
I'm at my wits end. They haven't pulled the footage. I was told they would and now it won't be till the first of the year. The manager can't figure out how to get it and the company is in the next state.
The manager called me and I felt she was bullying me. She told me the lady had leash violations and when I mentioned it in an email I sent, she said it was heresay and she was going to take the original complaint I made and clean it up and use it. She also said the owner of the dog made a "temporary mistake." She had planned to mediate a payment arrangement between the owner and myself for the vet bill and she was looking at it through a human perspective. (why would she even do that? It's putting herself in the middle) She said because of my letter she now has to look at it from a managers perspective and she sent my email/ letter to her sup and director and a copy of it would be going in my file. She is now documenting.
The email wasn't rude or threatening. I told her I was afraid and she said because my daughter had been the one walking the dog, that it didn't happen to me.
I think something is off because she told me the owner had called her and yet, directly after the attack I tried to call and the office vm was full. I couldn't get ahold of her. Sorry for the long reply.
I'm not even allowed to know what they are going to do. I've been researching the net because I don't have money for a lawyer. I've been giving every extra cent to my son with cancer since he has a family and can't work. So depressing. I wish Deb was here.

I completely agree with the above comments. Sue the fresia out of that irresponsible owner. So very sorry to hear about your beloved companion being injured.in such a horrendous way.

Last edited:
Hmmm. The law doesn't do much because they do NOT care about people any more well, unless your lawyer forces them to do something and then they still might choose to do nothing. I've had proof of violent crimes against me. I was willing and wanting to testify against them in court. I made sure the cop wrote that down during the interview with me. Well, the court had a pre-trial conference, without notifing me, and dropped all charges. Just like that. The court made about $600 in court fees. The person paid their attorney about a grand or so. And I got no justice and no restitution. The court didn't care. They didn't want to tie up a court just for some private thing. There are way too many high court earners waiting to be heard. They'll just say it's a Corona Virus thing or due to a shortage of staff blaa, blaa, blaa.

The law only protects themselves and their income streams like tickets, etc, etc. The law doesn't have to do anything though. So, they usually don't. It's easier for them that way. They mostly focus on getting guns off the street because they are scared they will be used against them. Then there's never a cop around until an officer involved shooting. Then there are 30 - 40 just standing around for hours and hours.

However, you can personally sue the person. It will be expensive and a total pain in the ass. Your attorney will only care about making as much money as he/she can. But, if you pay them they will do what you want. Like others have already said, the attorney can usually get any video that's available.

Also, if you win you'll just get a judgement. Then you have to collect the money. The court may not even want to get involved with that. So, you'll have to file more paperwork if the person doesn't want to pay you. Or, they, can always appeal the decision too.

I'm more of the mindset of getting even with the person. Obviously it's a bad person so they deserve anything you do to them. The law usually won't do anything to you IF their is no easily seen proof, and the person doesn't die. Using guns is a sure way to get noticed though. You'd be surprised how many murders take place in most cities. They don't show up on the news and nobody talks about them. I've been shot at twice with a cop within half a mile sitting in their care, windows up, and waiting for their shift to end.
Wow, shot at? That's scary. I doubt those windows are bullet proof. I'm going to sue when I can. I'm just trying to get the landlord to uphold the lease. The Manager wants to coddle the dog owner. She told me the woman " made a temporary mistake." I think the manager is making a mistake. I am going to keep writing emails because I want the landlord/ company to know the dog is potentially dangerous. I want to establish a record showing they have been told. I think that makes them responsible for any future attacks.

I completely agree with the above comments. Sue the fresia out of that irresponsible owner. So very sorry to hear about your beloved companion being taken from you in such a horrendous way.
Thank you, Forgottendanfan. My dog is alive. He had his staples removed yesterday. Honestly, I don't know what I would have done if he had died. It was hard hearing him whine. He's such a sweet dog.

Thank you, Forgottendanfan. My dog is alive. He had his staples removed yesterday. Honestly, I don't know what I would have done if he had died. It was hard hearing him whine. He's such a sweet dog.

Oh my goodness, I'm sorry. I obviously didn't read the post properly. What can I say? Maybe I've not had enough coffee today. I'm glad to hear he survived, albeit through a terrible ordeal. All the very best to you and to him.

Latest posts

Back