I'm so bloody awkward

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spazz

Reaction score
I make weird mouth movements, twitch weirdly, have intrusive thoughts during important conversations, mess up handshakes and high fives, I always make awkward jokes, have weird voice cracks, and stammer like crazy.

I just want to be articulate and normal, but instead I come off as someone brain-damaged.

MEGL6QI_o.gif
Sounds like me.

Ah geez and as if to prove it, I put a laughing guy in after you mention your difficulties.

I make weird mouth movements, twitch weirdly, have intrusive thoughts during important conversations, mess up handshakes and high fives, I always make awkward jokes, have weird voice cracks, and stammer like crazy.

I just want to be articulate and normal, but instead I come off as someone brain-damaged.
I definitely had my share of moments where I felt like a total spaz and had similar issues. While I'm still not the most charismatic guy out there, a couple of things helped me down the years:
- figure out what you can and cannot control about you, accept the parts where you have little control of and set your expectations accordingly
- do some workouts (preferably in the morning) to physically release some of that excess anxious energy (which can also improve your looks and self-esteem if you make a habbit out of it)
- as a last resort, for people that have symptoms which interfere very bad with their life (not sure if this is your case), they can try medication but I would try to stay away from anything that can be highly addictive; for me low doses of propranolol whenever I felt I needed worked out fine for the past 10 years + ... however my personal issues were not just about being a spaz in social situations(not trying to downplay your problems, only giving my perspective). Also I’m not a medical professional and please do not try to self-medicate without talking with a doctor.

You mentioned in another post that you’re a relatively young guy, some of those issues might improve naturally with age, as you become desensitized / less anxious around people.

Last edited:
You're just you I suppose. Sometimes being aware of something makes it worse, in that you're trying to go against it.

Spazz, you need to add funny to your list because you really do have a sense of humor. You and Minus both. Thanks for the laughs. Personally, I always found awkward guys sweet and enduring. I had a friend five years back who was high functioning autistic. He would do some unusual things, but I loved hanging out with him and he made my life better. I miss him. Sometimes we will text each other pictures of where we are or talk about politics or whatever. I never will forget the time when we had dinner the night before and we're to meet up the next day. I pulled into the parking lot beside a car. There was a guy with his window down in the passenger side. I looked at him and he nodded. My friend walked over and I rolled my window down. As we were talking he let one rip. It was long and loud. I guess he got a whiff and he yells,"Shooo that lamb!" All I could think about was the poor guy with his window down directly across from my friends hind end. Luckily I was driving a van and the height left me a safe distance. I laughed so hard. Good times...good times.

I suddenly realized something about awkwardness, recently. I mean, what actually is it?

I came to the conclusion: it is melodic social discordance/dissonance. You know when you are listening to a musician, attempt to play a song; but, they lack a certain confidence, and they make a few mistakes, lose more confidence, and make more mistakes, and finally sort of give up? Or when you see a bad actor; you just can't believe in their character, and you end up watching an actor who can't act, rather than a believable character?

There is a rhythm to social exchanges. It's musical, in a way. Awkwardness is like being out of tune, or not familiar with the notes, or getting stuck without a chair in musical chairs. You're just, 'not with it,' and can't seem to hit the notes.

Anywho..

Latest posts

Back