"I'm tired of being labeled."

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanillaCreme

Reaction score
I was reading/watching this about Raven-Symone. It was an interview she did on Oprah, and she talks about her same-sex relationship and the label of "African American" and how she doesn't agree with being called that. While I can't say anything from a personal standpoint on being with a woman as a woman, I can say that I completely agree with her on the African American thing. I've been saying it for years: Don't call me that. I'm not from Africa.

Interesting couple of minutes, and I completely agree with her, and it's awesome that she could sit there and be completely open and honest.

http://www.oprah.com/own-where-are-they-now/Why-Raven-Symone-Says-Shes-Tired-of-Being-Labeled-Video

There's actually more videos on different parts of the interview, but that's pretty much the only one I watched.

I always enjoyed Raven-Symone. I don't agree with labels either, you are automatically African because you are black? That doesn't make sense. Every single one of us should have another country added onto our skin color, if that is the cause, unless they are Native Americans.

People are people and I choose to look at them as such. Now, if I am pointing someone out, I'll say something like, the black guy over there in the red shirt or the white guy over there in the pink tutu. But other than that, people are people. Skin color, nationality, sexual orientation, disabilities, and everything else don't matter. They are still people and don't need to be labeled.

Uhhhhhhh, I don't really like this "no labelling allowed" approach. Not in this world you can be just a person without any labels attached, because, hey, I've said this in another thread, I'm not the same as a healthy person. Disabilities, skin color, sexuality matter every single day of people's lives, especially if they are not what most would consider "normal". One cannot reasonably expect for people to be just people and erase their daily struggles like that. Equality isn't fairness. I agree on the African American thing, but it's not about not labelling people at all.

The intention is good, but the execution is, excuse the expression, piss poor.

I hate using "african-american."

I also hate using the term "caucasian" to describe all whites.

I've never felt very comfortable with the term "African American", but I've known some people to become offended by the term "black", so I've never really known what to say.

What about the term "Asian American"? I don't know of an acceptable alternative.

TheRealCallie said:
....or the white guy over there in the pink tutu. But other than that, people are people. Skin color, nationality, sexual orientation, disabilities, and everything else don't matter. They are still people and don't need to be labeled.

Dammit....thought no one was around :(

And I agree with the rest of what you wrote.

Ymir said:
Uhhhhhhh, I don't really like this "no labelling allowed" approach. Not in this world you can be just a person without any labels attached, because, hey, I've said this in another thread, I'm not the same as a healthy person. Disabilities, skin color, sexuality matter every single day of people's lives, especially if they are not what most would consider "normal". One cannot reasonably expect for people to be just people and erase their daily struggles like that. Equality isn't fairness. I agree on the African American thing, but it's not about not labelling people at all.

There is a difference between not attaching labels to people and equality, IMO.
We are all PEOPLE, that's not to say that we don't all have individual struggles and different diseases and disorders. But you don't need to be LABELED by them. They don't define you, they don't tell you who you are. YOU define you and tell you who you are. No one is normal, normal doesn't exist. Judgments and expectations do and they are usually wrong. Not everyone can do the same things or eat the same as others, but that doesn't make them less a person than other people.

WildernessWildChild said:
TheRealCallie said:
....or the white guy over there in the pink tutu. But other than that, people are people. Skin color, nationality, sexual orientation, disabilities, and everything else don't matter. They are still people and don't need to be labeled.

Dammit....thought no one was around :(

And I agree with the rest of what you wrote.

I see everything. :D

Solivagant said:
I've never felt very comfortable with the term "African American", but I've known some people to become offended by the term "black", so I've never really known what to say.

What about the term "Asian American"? I don't know of an acceptable alternative.

I prefer the term "black" myself. Can't speak for any other black person, or the Asian term.

TheRealCallie said:
Ymir said:

There is a difference between not attaching labels to people and equality, IMO.
We are all PEOPLE, that's not to say that we don't all have individual struggles and different diseases and disorders. But you don't need to be LABELED by them. They don't define you, they don't tell you who you are. YOU define you and tell you who you are. No one is normal, normal doesn't exist. Judgments and expectations do and they are usually wrong. Not everyone can do the same things or eat the same as others, but that doesn't make them less a person than other people.

Exactly. Besides, there's a difference between saying, "that black lady over there," compared to "that black diabetic lady over there." You don't even know if someone has any type of disorder of the such just by merely looking at them. Sure, some you can see signs, but not everything is outward. I think that was more of the labeling she was referring to. The negative, stereotypical kind.

I can fully understand Raven's desire to be called an American. If America is the only country she has ever known, why do we need to qualify her as anything else?

I have four distinct, European nationalities in my family tree. However, because I am a very light-skinned Caucasian, I am called "white." No one calls me a "INSERT COUNTRY HERE-American" because I was born in America to American parents. None of my ancestral countries played any part in my life. So, how could I identify myself as anything but American? In that sense, I am exactly like Raven.

I did find it interesting how uncomfortable Oprah seemed to get when Raven said she doesn't call herself "African-American," though. It shows you how powerfully ingrained that term is, and how it has become almost a required label within the black community. And why would people be angry that Raven chooses to call herself "American?" It's her life. No one else has the right to choose her identity.

I have other issues with labels, but I'd be writing a message three times as long, so I'll just stop here. :)

Not to mention other countries don't do this. Black people in the UK aren't called African-British.

If I moved to the US would I be Canadian American?

That's not labeling in my opinion. Hyphenating. It really seems petty to get worked up about it. Generally.

To me, 'labeling' is a form of verbal/character abuse. For instance when A child doesn't quite 'fall in line and fly right' is chalked up as ADD or disabled. Particularly when there is no intention to address their difficulty's and neglect their needs. Or when they are part of a race or demographic bracket.

Huh I've never heard that one before. Does it only apply to people with dual citizenship? Cause that would make sense.

Or wait, does it only work with entire continents like Africa? I'd technically be a North American-American

I don't know it was an uncommon term. Perhaps because I've watched wrestling all my life... Canadian wrestlers who live in the US... Canadian American is a term I've often heard.

Well I could totally Canadian American some of you girls on this forum.... If you know what I mean.

.... And just so we're clear I was talking about sex. You know, like Canadian going into an American. Yeah.

Limlim said:
Well I could totally Canadian American some of you girls on this forum.... If you know what I mean.

.... And just so we're clear I was talking about sex. You know, like Canadian going into an American. Yeah.

:club:

Limlim said:

With red hair...in a pony tail?

A lot of people would be offended with 'black', 'colored or 'dark'. Some people find this the respectful approach to describing someone with dark skin. I personally say black but i don't mean any offence with it, same as i don't care when people call me the 'ginger' :p

Eternal Euphoria said:
A lot of people would be offended with 'black', 'colored or 'dark'. Some people find this the respectful approach to describing someone with dark skin. I personally say black but i don't mean any offence with it, same as i don't care when people call me the 'ginger' :p

My uncle still says "colored" and we don't know why. He's my mom's younger brother. He's almost 50, and he really holds onto old fashioned ideals. He means no harm by it, and my mom corrects him every time. But it's strange because my other uncle and my aunt don't say that like it's still said today.

Latest posts

Back