in a relationship, but still feel so alone

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

rachel

hi all,

so it's 12:30am on saturday morning, and i, once again, feel so utterly utterly alone. i shouldn't - i live with my boyfriend of 2 years. but i am starting to really realize how selfish and unaware he is. which is why i have been feeling more and more and more solitary for the past 6 months or so. it's such an awful feeling - i feel like it's starting to sink in that he's not the one, that i may have to end it, but that prospect would result in an entirely new level of loneliness that i'm not sure i'm ready for, as i've slowly and gradually let all my close friendships from years ago slip away so that he's all i have left. what i'm starting to get is that what i have left isn't much.

and it was a little-big thing that drove it home tonight, with him slamming the bedroom door and me now in the living room on the internet, on google, typing "i am so alone", and re-finding this site once again, registering, so i could purge. i have been growing orchids for about 2 years. he, actually, bought me my first pair of them, and i loved them right away and really took them on as a hobby i enjoyed. i had these original two on a window ledge in the bedroom. in order to open/close the window, you have to move them forward slightly, or else the latch will hit them and knock them to the ground. for literally the sixth time in the last year, he shoved the window open without moving them, and this time they both went crashing to the ground, and shattered. these being the ones i've raised from "babies" for the last 2 years, the ones HE bought for ME. he couldn't have cared less about my orchids, how this upset me, and got pissed because i "all of a sudden" didn't feel like jumping in bed with him. hence the slamming of the bedroom door. i am not sure how this reads to someone who doesn't know us, but to me, this is the millionth and first example of someone who is uncaring....it's getting too much, and this loneliness is growing steadily by the day. i probably cry myself to sleep at least once every week or so. i'm sorry if this seems rambly or silly, but even the act of typing it out like this is helping a bit...

i suppose i'm wondering if anyone else out there feels this same emotional loneliness, despite being in a relationship? how do you handle it?

thank you,
-rachel

rachel -
i obviously don't know you at all & certainly nothing about your relationship with your boyfriend. to me it sounds like there's not enough communication. do you actually tell him how bad you feel, how loneliness creeps in, or how you see his actions as showing you he doesn't care about you or your feelings?

it seems like you value the orchids he bought you (the babies you raised), so i don't know if you're really ready to get out of this relationship yet. if you're not able to talk to him about your feelings (all the stuff you said above), is there a possibility that he would read a letter if you poured your heart out that way?

but you're right...being out of a relationship does put you in a whole new level of loneliness. i personally would try to salvage this one before throwing it away. try communication first (without accusations.... you have to show your pain in a non-accusatory way to make it work to your advantage & to possibly get him to open up).

Hi Sweetie,

I'm happily married, but still found myself here on this site. I can totally relate to what you are going through. Also, I find the way he treated your orchids to be totally assholish. Perhaps he was 'accidentally' breaking them because he was being passive aggressive. In any case, you had put a lot of work into them and he broke the pots (can you still repot them)?

I've read that some of women's lonelinest times has been lying in bed next to their husbands. Marriages can be lonely. Relationships can be lonely. If there are problems or tensions, then it's incredibly lonely within the relationship.

This guy sounds like a jerk, if I were you I'd do so soul searching and see if you could at least live apart, or if not totally just break up.

Hugs, LG

Hi Rachel!

I don't know you or him well, so I'm probably going to give more benefit of the doubt than I should. As guys, we're pretty arrogant. He probably thought he could have opened the window without moving the plant, sadly he was mistaken. I'm sure this thing was one of many where you guys butt heads. These kind of things can escalate if there isn't communication because you may brood about it if he's completely unaware of it. He'll get even angrier because he won't be sure why you're angry, and he'll consider it hopeless because he doesn't understand. It's a vicious cycle!

I wish you the best. If all else fails, put a fluffy pillow next to the window!

Hi Rachel,

I can relate to your situation, which sounds like an unhappy one. I'm in a relationship too, I live with my boyfriend. And he's often thoughtless and unfeeling, but he's not a monster, he has qood qualities. Yet, even when I'm with him, I feel so alone. A lot of people have difficulty dealing with their emotions, my boyfriend does. He'll do things sometimes, or say something to me that just leaves me speechless. Often times it seems those that are supposed to love us often treat us pretty shabbily.
All of it has to do with respect. If a guy doesn't respect ya, he's not worth your time. It took me far too long to figure that one out..

I'm sorry about your orchids. I know how much work growing things can be. I grow rare herbs and flowers when I can, so I know exactly how it feels if someone destroys something you grew from a tiny baby.

I don't think there's anything wrong with crying, it can be very healing. I cry quite a lot these days, and I usually feel a lot better afterwards..

Hugs,

Cleo

hi all,

so it's 12:30am on saturday morning, and i, once again, feel so utterly utterly alone. i shouldn't - i live with my boyfriend of 2 years. but i am starting to really realize how selfish and unaware he is. which is why i have been feeling more and more and more solitary for the past 6 months or so. it's such an awful feeling - i feel like it's starting to sink in that he's not the one, that i may have to end it, but that prospect would result in an entirely new level of loneliness that i'm not sure i'm ready for, as i've slowly and gradually let all my close friendships from years ago slip away so that he's all i have left. what i'm starting to get is that what i have left isn't much.

and it was a little-big thing that drove it home tonight, with him slamming the bedroom door and me now in the living room on the internet, on google, typing "i am so alone", and re-finding this site once again, registering, so i could purge. i have been growing orchids for about 2 years. he, actually, bought me my first pair of them, and i loved them right away and really took them on as a hobby i enjoyed. i had these original two on a window ledge in the bedroom. in order to open/close the window, you have to move them forward slightly, or else the latch will hit them and knock them to the ground. for literally the sixth time in the last year, he shoved the window open without moving them, and this time they both went crashing to the ground, and shattered. these being the ones i've raised from "babies" for the last 2 years, the ones HE bought for ME. he couldn't have cared less about my orchids, how this upset me, and got pissed because i "all of a sudden" didn't feel like jumping in bed with him. hence the slamming of the bedroom door. i am not sure how this reads to someone who doesn't know us, but to me, this is the millionth and first example of someone who is uncaring....it's getting too much, and this loneliness is growing steadily by the day. i probably cry myself to sleep at least once every week or so. i'm sorry if this seems rambly or silly, but even the act of typing it out like this is helping a bit...

i suppose i'm wondering if anyone else out there feels this same emotional loneliness, despite being in a relationship? how do you handle it?

thank you,
-rachel
[/quote]

Yes Rachel, I am in a relationship (I think) and I do feel alone. At times; painfully alone. Physically painful. In my case we are not living together and he says he is confused about how he feels about me but doesn't want to lose me. It is a yucky yucky feeling...what does one do with that?

I always hate to hear the little inconsiderate things that pop up in relationships because we all have that moment of clarity where we realize we can't take people for granted...I just wish that everyone had that moment more often.

I hope that you are true to yourself and your feelings as you possibly can be. If he is unwilling to change his behavior the feelings of lonliness and disrespect will change you and you won't be able to put the love into the relationship anymore that all relationships need.

I was in an on-off relationship with someone for five years, and towards the end I found myself thinking those same thoughts, that I feel so lonely even though I'm with someone. That relationship ended about a year ago, and it's true that being outside a relationship is a lonely experience. However, imo you shouldn't let the fear of being alone keep you with someone you are not happy with. I won't pretend like I'm familiar with the dynamics of your relationship, but the fact is that you feel lonely with this man and that isn't right. I've experienced a fulfilling relationship so I know it's possible, and I know that when you begin to feel lonely it might be time to move on. You owe it to yourself.

I'm fond of the analogy with Endgame by Samuel Beckett. The two characters cannot stand each other, yet they are codependent and both of them are afraid to leave. Situations like this tend to perpetuate themselves until the cycle is broken somehow, and it takes a great deal of courage to do that. I can tell you firsthand that life after a breakup is never as bad as you fear it to be. The person you are with is there to compliment you. When they begin to define you, that is unhealthy.

I won't say categorically whether you should break up, but it's NOT cool that he slammed the bedroom door as some sort of punitive measure against you, when it was he whose clumsiness started the whole conflict. That's abuse. I'm saying that because that's the way I used to treat my ex. I was wrong for it, but I behaved that way because I was unhappy. I felt restrained, constricted, like I had compromised my future for some small comfort in the present, and I was ashamed of myself for it. I can honestly say I am happier now, though I must constantly remind myself how miserable I was then.

Whether you stay or leave, you need friends outside this relationship. It's NOT cool that you feel he's all you have left. Join a group, volunteer for a cause, find something you're passionate about and be public about it, and you will attract others with similar interests. You owe that to yourself.

Hi Rachel,

When I was reading your message I thought that I had written this post and forgot, not just becuase we share the same name but becuase your situation sounds and feels so much like my own. My boyfriend got me orchids for Valentines Day, there were 6 beautiful flowers that have been gradually cut away to nothing over the last 4 months.

I too live with my boyfriend of two, going on three years. I have felt lonely on and off at different extremes for the last year or so. My boyfriend and I hardly every spend time together and hardly ever have sex, maybe two or three times a month, not becuase I don't want to, but becuase he always has an excuse.

As I previously mentioned we live together and we never spend any time together. When I try to talk to him about it, without being emotional, as an attempt to dialogue with him, he tells me, "Stop being so emotional." That is his response anytime I try to talk to him about anything that has to do with us and our relationship.

His selfishness and self-centered-ness has become more apparent as well. When it comes to cleaning our apartment, he says we need to clean it, but he never does anything and never helps me. Typically we don't even see each other. The most time that we spend together is when we are asleep. I go to sleep alone every night around 11 and get up at 6. He goes to sleep at 3 or 4 and wakes up at noon. He tells me he is trying to be considerate to me, playing when I am asleep. The only problem with this is he asks me to go lay down earlier than I want to, as if I am a child. When I am trying to do work on the weekends and my boyfriend is home, he goes in a different room and then he throws our pets in the room so they won't disturb him while he plays his game.

He says he loves me, but he doesn't even look at me. I could be naked and he wouldn't take a second look. I love him and I have felt that he was the one in the past, but I can tell I am increasingly unhappy. I know it is not normal to feel lonely so often when you are in a healthy relationship let alone live with your boyfriend. He knows when he is messing up on occasion, and then he actually makes an effort, but it is not enough that he tunes into his actions. We have two pets together. He is a good pet-dad when he is around. I just can't imagine what would happen if we did break up. I don't know if this feeling will pass or if I will get used to feeling lonely. I have felt lonely before even without a boyfriend and learned to be okay with it. Maybe this is just another thing to get used to? Sorry I can't help, but I can relate.

Its possible that your boyfriend simply doesn't have the same range of emotion when it comes to plants. Heaven knows that my girlfriend complains that I don't love animals enough, its just that I wouldn't see plants or animals as "our babies." I feel like I am more than responsible and by building my education and a career, I am providing for our life and our future. Perhaps there's a lack of communication.

From the song BRICK
By Ben Folds Five

"Now that I have found someone, I'm feeling more alone, than I ever have before"

[video=youtube]

Come on guys, what are you doing? Look at the date of some of these threads before you reply to them. The last response was in 2007 with the parent having unregistered long ago.

I mean there's nothing wrong with bringing up a topic you like, but I feel bad that you're addressing it like the person is still here in your reply. After this long you can probably start a new thread. :)

Hello Rachel,

A part from the fact that I'm not in a relationship right now, I just wanted to react on what you had written. I also experienced the fact once that I had built my world around a girl. Luckily for me the relationship didn't last long but I guess when you decide to break up with him, I think you can go back and explain the situation to your friends (the ones that you had). I can imagine that they will understand.

If I were you I probably break up with him. It's not comforting remark for me but I think that in the beginning after the break-up it will be hard. Very hard! What you win is your freedom again to do what you want. I don't know how old you are but if you are young, I know someone will come by someday to care for your orchids in the way you wish and want. Otherwise you will always have this site where can write everything you want.

I'm saying this from the sideline. I hope that it will turn out for you the right way.

Good luck!

yeah that's cool, don't read the other replies to the tread. I don't mind. Just talking to myself here. -_-

....I just joined so I could further ignore Limlim...

But now Rachel, this is your mother typing so listen up...

In the immortal words of Ben Franklin:
"Sh*t or get off the pot."

Or was it uncle Teddy who used to say that?... I think that was maybe uncle Teddy...

Anywho I do think it's interesting to note that the coupla gentlemen who replied to this post made the answer to the problem all about communication.
Even though Rachel clearly states in her post that she had already told her gentleman 6 times that he has to move the flower pot before opening the window.

Very interesting.

So, what's the magic number gentlemen, when that which a woman has already communicated to you 6 times previously actually crosses into the realm of true communication?
Is it seven times? Does the request have to happen seven times before it's perceived as an attempt to genuinely communicate?

Hmmmmm.....it's very interesting indeed.

Well, the only conclusion I can thus draw from all of this is that Limlim shall be further ignored until he posts something to the same effect as he's already posted at least 5 more times....because you know Limlim... it's gooses and and ganders and all that kinds of stuff...except for me of course, please don't make me post this six more times, because that wouldn't be good for anybody.

um.... two things

First... Rachel ain't here no more, so how the hell can she "listen up"
Second... WTF

Sweetie lighten up.
You're just being repetitive, and annoying, because clearly I've read ALL OF THE REPLIES TO THIS THREAD UNLIKE YOU.
Limlim has very artfully, and graciously mind you, already informed us that "Rachel ain't here no more".
You, on the other hand, are a humorless dullard who clearly REQUIRES things to be spelled out for you so....um...for you it's just ONE thing:

I
t

w
a
s

a

j
o
k
e

so now...go away.

In the words of the most eloquent Limlim:
"yeah that's cool, don't read the other replies to the tread. I don't mind. Just talking to myself here. -_-"

Dear Rachel,

I hope that the flowers that crashed to the ground four years ago were somehow salvaged and are living beautifully in the window once again. Are you still with your boyfriend? Did you two end up married, and are you living happily ever after? Did you knock him out of the window the way he did your flowers?

Wishing you well.
Another person ignoring Limlim

LizLemon said:
Sweetie lighten up.
You're just being repetitive, and annoying, because clearly I've read ALL OF THE REPLIES TO THIS THREAD UNLIKE YOU.
Limlim has very artfully, and graciously mind you, already informed us that "Rachel ain't here no more".
You, on the other hand, are a humorless dullard who clearly REQUIRES things to be spelled out for you so....um...for you it's just ONE thing:

I
t

w
a
s

a

j
o
k
e

so now...go away.

In the words of the most eloquent Limlim:
"yeah that's cool, don't read the other replies to the tread. I don't mind. Just talking to myself here. -_-"

Yeah, don't really care what you think. Also, don't call me sweetie and I'll go wherever the fresia I want, m'kay? :rolleyes:
Go troll somewhere else.

Callie said:
Yeah, don't really care what you think. Also, don't call me sweetie and I'll go wherever the fresia I want, m'kay? :rolleyes:
Go troll somewhere else.

Yes, 'sweetie' :p

now catch me if you can

rivermaze said:
Callie said:
Go troll somewhere else.

Yes, 'sweetie' :p

now catch me if you can

Never said YOU couldn't call me that, now did I? :D

Latest posts

Back