Is anyone a vegetarian?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cumulus.james said:
So if anyone is a vege/vegan would love to hear your stories and your advice on making the transition.

No I'm not. Here, have a hamburger.

hamburger.jpg

I am not. I tried younger (for quite some years) and still ate fish...
I think I should be, I wish I was feeling more bad for eating meat.
Now, that I have anemia it might not be the right time to try again though.

Soon, we will all eat soylent green anyway so we won't have to worry about the food we eat.

BeyondShy... That's not necessary, is it? There are people who are sensitive to meat products, for one reason or another, whether you think it's silly or not.

That does look good though. But still!

... Hamburger made me hungry.

ladyforsaken said:
Paraiyar said:
Eliraven said:
Paraiyar said:
Eating eggs still counts as vegetarian in my mind if they haven't been fertilized.

Oh, I didn't know that.Thanks.

Go to google what is a fertilized egg.:club:

Yeah, some might disagree with me on that though.

There are different types of vegetarian diets, a simple list on this website. There are those who do include eggs in their vegetarian diet.

Thank you, Ladyforsaken.

So, I am a Lacto-ovo vegetarian.:D:D:D

VanillaCreme said:
BeyondShy... That's not necessary, is it? There are people who are sensitive to meat products, for one reason or another, whether you think it's silly or not.

I don't think being a vegetarian is silly at all. In fact there's nothing wrong with it. It was just an attempt at humor which is something that in my opinion is sorely lacking around here. Not everything is doom and gloom and sorrow and remorse. Truth be told being a vegetarian is something that is hard to do.

VanillaCreme said:
That does look good though. But still!

Me too! You want another one? :rolleyes2:

BeyondShy said:
cumulus.james said:
So if anyone is a vege/vegan would love to hear your stories and your advice on making the transition.

hamburger.jpg

I suspect if you had started a thread about vegetarianism and James (or myself) posted this, you wouldn't see the "humor".

Back on topic: I am currently not a vegetarian (or vegan). I think I could adapt to a vegetarian lifestyle easily, though. Very few meat dishes or foods are to my liking anyway.

reynard_muldrake said:
I suspect if you had started a thread about vegetarianism and James (or myself) posted this, you wouldn't see the "humor".

Don't assume anything about me. That's the mistake you made right here.

Please don't bicker.

List some vegetarian dishes. I'm not a vegetarian either, but I do love veggies.

VanillaCreme said:
Please don't bicker.

Yes Ma'am.

VanillaCreme said:
List some vegetarian dishes. I'm not a vegetarian either, but I do love veggies.

Well, I kind of like those frozen mixed vegetables you can buy at any supermarket. You know, the ones that have pieces of corn, carrots, peas, etc in them. I throw them in the microwave and then put a small teaspoon of margarine on them when they are done. All set!

That's my recipe from someone who does not know how to cook. :shy:

BeyondShy said:
VanillaCreme said:

Well, I kind of like those frozen mixed vegetables you can buy at any supermarket. You know, the ones that have pieces of corn, carrots, peas, etc in them. I throw them in the microwave and then put a small teaspoon of margarine on them when they are done. All set!

That's my recipe from someone who does not know how to cook. :shy:

I like using those in soups. Or using the frozen bag vegetables that are prepared for a stir fry when I have some sausage to put with it. I guess that could be adapted for vegetarians. Some tofu perhaps?

BeyondShy said:
cumulus.james said:

hamburger.jpg

I saw the gin screen filling glossy pinup of a juicy burger and was able to reasonably deduce that this poster is not a vegetarian

Honestly, I think, like anything else, it depends on your motivation and the reason behind why you want to stop eating meat. I never really cared for the taste of meat, so it wasn't hard for me at all. Becoming vegan was harder because I LOVE me some dairy. lol

For those that actually LIKE meat, I don't think you should go cold turkey (ha ha :p ) but rather take it slow. Cut out red meat and stick with poultry and fish for a while. Then cut out the poultry when you have a good grasp on not eating the red meat. Then, depending on what type of vegetarian you are going to be, cut out everything else you want to cut out. Take it step by step and don't feel like you failed if you don't get it done the first time. After a lifetime of eating meat, it's habit and if you ENJOY it, that makes it even harder. It's understandable and logical that you might not succeed the first time you try (or the 10th time for that matter.

as a long time vegan, i can say that not eating animal products is about much more than a mere dietary choice-it is instead a moral and ethical imperative which rejects violence and exploitation against ALL sentient beings. the health and environmental aspects of veganism are also of critical importance as many of the most common digestive diseases including heart disease, many cancers and diabetes are directly realted to the consumption of flesh, dairy and eggs. by far the worst impact on ecosystems and the environment is the raising of non-human animals for food. according to the World Watch Institute:

"The human appetite for animal flesh is a driving force behind virtually every major category of environmental damage now threatening the human future - deforestation, erosion, fresh water scarcity, air and water pollution, climate change, biodiversity loss, social injustice, the destabilization of communities and the spread of disease." (there is an excellent documentary available on Nexflix called "Cowspiracy" which i would highly recommend)

giving up flesh while continuing to consume eggs and dairy is quite arbitrary as eggs and dairy cause just as much if not more suffering and death. the animal are kept alive longer in unimaginably horrific conditions and in the end, they all end up in the same slaughterhouses. for example, millions of baby male chicks are ground up live as soon as they are born by the egg industry and the veal and cheap hamburger are the "byproducts" of producing dairy. most cheese is not even vegetarian as it contains rennet which is from the stomachs of baby cows.

to torture and brutally murder countless billions of baby non-human animals every year for a momentary taste sensation is an atrocity of epic proportions. there is a TREMENDOUS amount of false information, myths and flat out lies about veganism. i ask that everyone take a look at the 1 hour speech that is linked in my signature which will go far in increasing one's awareness of the issues.

mgill said:
as a long time vegan, i can say that not eating animal products is about much more than a mere dietary choice-it is instead a moral and ethical imperative which rejects violence and exploitation against ALL sentient beings.

I would say that would depend on the person. I can personally say I do not WANT to be a vegan. It is not a choice I made for myself. It is due to health issues that have nothing to do with those things you mentioned. Every person's reason for being a vegan or a vegetarian is different and there is nothing wrong with any one of those reasons, even if that reason is just jumping on the bandwagon.

Not everyone cares what happens to animals or how they are slaughtered. Whether it's humane slaughtering or not and there's nothing wrong with that either.

To each their own, we all have our reasons for doing what we do and no one should push their own beliefs on anyone else. Not saying you are or aren't doing that exactly, just saying in general.

I think that if I were to ever become a vegetarian, it would be because I wanted to do it. Not because someone who talked about all the theories on it for an hour about how it's wrong and whatever else they wanted to babble on about. It should be up to the person. Not beaten into our minds. There probably is some good information in there somewhere for those more interested, but learning a wider view on it is better.

VanillaCreme said:
I think that if I were to ever become a vegetarian, it would be because I wanted to do it. Not because someone who talked about all the theories on it for an hour about how it's wrong and whatever else they wanted to babble on about. It should be up to the person. Not beaten into our minds. There probably is some good information in there somewhere for those more interested, but learning a wider view on it is better.

Exactly and that's the way it should be. I don't push my veganism on anyone and never did when I was a vegetarian either. I don't even push it on my kids and I cook meat for them and friends and family (even if I don't like to do it). It's not MY choice to make for them. When my kids are older, they can decide on their own what they want to do.

I've got sweet potatoes in the oven cooking. I serve them with vegetable curry and rice.

TheRealCallie said:
VanillaCreme said:

Exactly and that's the way it should be. I don't push my veganism on anyone and never did when I was a vegetarian either. I don't even push it on my kids and I cook meat for them and friends and family (even if I don't like to do it). It's not MY choice to make for them. When my kids are older, they can decide on their own what they want to do.

aside from the ad hominem "babble" comment, this kind of thinking is at the root of the disconnect for most people. what is being left out of the equation are the victims-the cows, pigs, chickens and fishes-who have NO choice in the suffering and death which is forced upon them. we teach our children that harming animals is wrong yet at the same time teach them that it is also OK to do so. supporting violence, torture and murder is always a choice, but it is NEVER a moral or ethical one.

it is very telling that most people agree that torturing and killing a puppy or a kitten for pleasure is a horrendous act, yet when people support the same being done to farmed animals all of a sudden it becomes a personal choice which is not right for everyone. the only difference is the perception of the perpetrators-to the one's being harmed and killed it is exactly the same.

TheRealCallie and VanillaCreme: i ask again that you please take an hour to watch the amazing lecture in my signature.

mgill said:
TheRealCallie said:
VanillaCreme said:

aside from the ad hominem "babble" comment, this kind of thinking is at the root of the disconnect for most people. what is being left out of the equation are the victims-the cows, pigs, chickens and fishes-who have NO choice in the suffering and death which is forced upon them. we teach our children that harming animals is wrong yet at the same time teach them that it is also OK to do so. supporting violence, torture and murder is always a choice, but it is NEVER a moral or ethical one.

it is very telling that most people agree that torturing and killing a puppy or a kitten for pleasure is a horrendous act, yet when people support the same being done to farmed animals all of a sudden it becomes a personal choice which is not right for everyone. the only difference is the perception of the perpetrators-to the one's being harmed and killed it is exactly the same.

TheRealCallie and VanillaCreme: i ask again that you please take an hour to watch the amazing lecture in my signature.

As I said, that is YOUR opinion and you shouldn't be forcing it on others. Each person is entitled to eat what they want, to do what they want, believe what they want. It's not your job to tell others what they should and should not see things as.

Personally, I don't feel you need to kill to survive, but that is MY opinion and I will never force it on anyone else, the same as I won't force my religion or whatever else on anyone else. It's not my right to tell others what they should be doing. So, I will continue to cook dead/slaughtered animals for my children, my family and my friends, because MY choice is not the same as THEIR choices and my children are too young to make the decision for myself and this is someone their father and I agree on.

As for your video, I have no intention of watching it. Everything I do that could possibly harm my health or my children's health, I research thoroughly, so I don't need to watch it.

Latest posts

Back