Is it better to die suddenly or have a few months/years to prepare for death while suffering from an illness?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 188522

Reaction score
I’d always choose the illness, with time to make everything right, to enjoy giving my money and jewelry away, to pack my belongings up, to prepare for the inevitable. What say you?

I quite fancy the late great Jim Steinman's take on it:

Then I'm down in the bottom of a pit in the blazing sun
Torn and twisted at the foot of a burning bike
And I think somebody somewhere must be tolling a bell
And the last thing I see is my heart
Still beating, still beating
Breaking out of my body and flying away
Like a bat out of hell

🏍️ 🦇 🔥

Slow and painful or quick and painless?

I'm reminded of Futurama, heh..

I'm not even sure an entire lifetime would be enough time for me to prepare...

So I don't know *shrugs*.

A man once said, "I hope that death does not find me still not completely annihilated!"

I hope to die from an illness that gives me time, however, my fortune teller experience said I will die alone in a car park... 🙃

I hope to die from an illness that gives me time, however, my fortune teller experience said I will die alone in a car park... 🙃
A fortune teller once told me I'd be rich, famous and dead at 27. I was 27 over 20 years ago and I'm broke, unknown and bloody clinging on for dear life 😱

Slow and painful or quick and painless?

I'm reminded of Futurama, heh..

I'm not even sure an entire lifetime would be enough time for me to prepare...

So I don't know *shrugs*.

A man once said, "I hope that death does not find me still not completely annihilated!"

Hysterical! I am still smiling.

For family members it's better that a loved one dies more slow so there is time to process it. You get the opportunity to say all you want to say.
For the person who dies, I would think it's better with a quick death. Slowly withering away and losing quality of life doesn't seem fun at all.

My father has been diagnosed with an illness similar to dementia and alzheimers. It's been very painful for him to lose his sense of self, his knowledge of family members and his ability to be self reliant.

Wow! No takers for dying suddenly. Interesting. For me it depends at what age it occurs. Now, I would like the time to prepare. But, if / when I get into my late 80s and 90s I will have already gotten rid of all my stuff and prepared to die. So, at that point, it would be great just to not wake up one morning.

Neither. It's best to get a referral or hopefully in the future without any referrals whenever one feels like, for any or no reason at all, to go to a nice clinic in a nice(er) country and die with dignity, pain-free. Not suffer for months or years, not die suddenly without saying goodbye. Except in my case. I'll have no one to say it to. lol

I feel like all of the building that I have been doing over the last few years, has been for in case I die suddenly. I'm not really on board with grieving the end of my days due to an illness. I kind of think it would just be easier if it was a quick death, where no one is wondering "is there anything else we could have done to make the time last longer?"

Mind you, I hope I don't die tomorrow.

I'm kind of indifferent, I guess.
Because I know that medically speaking there is no "painless way," besides in your sleep of natural causes.
Everything else hurts like Hell, even fatal gunshot wounds to the head continue to receive pain signals for up to 15 minutes, similarly to ingeneration and hypothermia.
A fatal illness is, essentially a quickening of the decaying process focused around some vital part of the body, so there's no way that can be a comfortable experience in either direction.

As for my belongings...what belongings?
The only thing I own of value is this laptop, and my guitar.
And I can't really think of anyone I could leave either of them to.
I don't really have friends and family the way that most people do.
They're more like sociopathic acquaintances that I actively try to avoid. I kind of feel like I'm perpetually living in They Live and everyone that I used to know and love has been zombified already.

So. I'm guaranteed to be pain free and lucid during these weeks? Well, that sounds swell. But, generally, at least half that time is to suffer exquisitely and doped up. I've watched that, and, for me, I wished they expired sooner. Nah, I'll take the band aid ripped off choice.

Neither. It's best to get a referral or hopefully in the future without any referrals whenever one feels like, for any or no reason at all, to go to a nice clinic in a nice(er) country and die with dignity, pain-free. Not suffer for months or years, not die suddenly without saying goodbye. Except in my case. I'll have no one to say it to. lol
I, too, wish euthanasia was passed into law. I don't understand why we are so humane to our animals but cruel to humankind.

I, too, wish euthanasia was passed into law. I don't understand why we are so humane to our animals but cruel to humankind.
The population would crash. To many people would be pushing the euthanasia button. Then who in the hell would serve all the entitled rich, powerful, and famous people. No, no....... We can't allow that to happen. Now, stop that crazy thinking and get back to work. Ha! ha!

Latest posts

Back