Is there any point doing a craft if no one else likes it?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eternitydreamer

Reaction score
Let’s just say I enjoyed drawing or painting but I was not good. How did I know I wasn’t? I never got responses to my posts, if I did it was critiques or a single “like” while others got lots of “wow!” “Amazing!” “Speechless“ and hundreds of likes. I could spend hours working hard to get this kind of response to my work.
is there any point of continuing? I feel like no

Hey Eternitydreamer,

fresia 'em. Keep drawing if it makes you happy. I had a friend who drew, just for herself, like a diary, but of drawings. She shared a few of them with me. They were sad and tortured drawings; but, I think it helped keep her sane.

There is all kinds of art, some times you just have to find your style. Some folks paint by numbers, others throw oil paints at the canvas and make a mess. Art is expression. Success and admiration are whimsical things; some times they are hard earned, other times, they are seemingly granted with no effort. There will always be the roaring sea of other creators works, of which, very few emerge from.

In my years, it's been put to me that, in order to be a writer, you must write (and write often).

So, if you want to be an artist, I'd say, you're going to have to continue to draw. :) crushing despair, and sorrow, can be hindrances; but, they can often be great boons to artistic expression.

So, if you want to be an artist, I think the only answer is, 'keep drawing.' But, some times we must reflect, make use of criticism, give new things a try, adapt, etc..

I struggle with all of that myself. :) cheer up. You will know when you do good work, by the way it makes you feel inside. There will be a pride there. It may go unnoticed, and unrecognized, and it may even bring you sadness; but, I think it's not about the appreciation. It's about bringing something forth, from inside yourself.

Anywho,
go easy..

Don't give up. You will only get better with time. If you enjoy it, do it for yourself. I have been face-painting for over a year now, yet I only paint on practice heads. I don't take criticism well, so I paint for myself. Just draw for you!

I always wanted to be able to draw lifelike portraits of people with an impossible twist to them. I was slow. But, I was pretty good at it. I got plenty of wows! I sold some of my drawings to others. But, I never could get to where I wanted to be with them. I was getting super frustrated with myself. So, I stopped doing it. Then I shifted to doing spray paint art. It is super fast and easy. The images are very eye catching. I sold plenty of those especially when you let people watch you do it right in front of them. It was fun at first. But, I didn't really enjoy doing it. So, I stopped doing all of it mostly because I kept comparing my work to others that were better then I was.

I agree with the others. Do it because you enjoy doing it. There are so many super talent artists out there it's nearly impossible to become known. It becomes more about fame then the actual art. If you become popular your art would sell like hotcakes. Everything is about fame and popularity. A lot of popular artists have very little actual talent IMO.

On a side note: I knew a very unattractive, very over weight woman that could sing very well. Her voice was so pretty to listen to it made me smile whenever I head it. But, she could never get anybody interested in signing her because of how she looked. They actually told her that. So, her music will never be heard.

In all honesty, if art is within someone then they have to do it or they feel unfulfilled. Art is part of an artist and giving it up or quashing it in some way is like trying to dam an ocean.

Keep doing your thing.

Latest posts

Back