Is there something you used to do that you loved, but you've now stopped doing?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to love to draw. A microbe infection damaged my fine motor control. I am no longer able to guide the pencil.

But where one door closes another opens. I like to draw with words now. I don't know if I'd have tried writing if I hadn't lost drawing. Writing gives me the same pleasures as drawing had. Maybe more.

I miss playing music.
I think if I were to get back into it, it'd strictly be for personal practice.
To relearn classical and traditional folk again.
Guess if I gotta play relatively for free it might as well be in the middle ground between what I like playing and what people recognize. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Reading. I know that sounds odd as reading is something I do constantly, all day long. Read my own work, read other's work, read facts, research, read news, read to my son at bedtime . . I'm talking about reading for pleasure, something that I always did since I was a child - I've always been (or was) an avid bookworm and had 2-3 books on the go at any given time. Honestly, it's now been at least a few years since I picked up a book and read it from cover-to-cover. It's bizarre to me, where that long-held passion has disappeared to. I miss it.

I'm talking about reading for pleasure, something that I always did since I was a child - I've always been (or was) an avid bookworm and had 2-3 books on the go at any given time.
This really resonates with me, as a child and teenager I was always reading, like your good self I always had a few books on the go, then I veered of into a land of guitars, girls and recreational drugs.

I'd forgotten how much I loved books until a few days ago when the missus came back from her trip away with a copy of Watership Down as a gift for me, I'd previously mentioned to her how much I loved that book as a child. That's why I was down the library yesterday renewing old friendships with messrs Tolkien, Asimov and that geezer who wrote all the scary honeysuckle.

I was kinda hoping this thread would reignite old passions for a few others. 📖 🎸 🔥

This really resonates with me, as a child and teenager I was always reading, like your good self I always had a few books on the go, then I veered of into a land of guitars, girls and recreational drugs.

I'd forgotten how much I loved books until a few days ago when the missus came back from her trip away with a copy of Watership Down as a gift for me, I'd previously mentioned to her how much I loved that book as a child.
I love that book too.
That's why I was down the library yesterday renewing old friendships with messrs Tolkien, Asimov and that geezer who wrote all the scary honeysuckle.
And the hot librarian with the great boobies. Can't forget about her! 🌰🌰

I was kinda hoping this thread would reignite old passions for a few others. 📖 🎸 🔥
It just might. I have a book sitting on my night table I asked for last Christmas with the best of intentions - it's written by one of the Beefeaters at the Tower of London and it's about life at the tower, the history, the ravens. Haven't touched it since I got it, but I have a feeling if I just force myself to do it even though I don't feel like it, that it will be the key to eventually rediscovering my love for reading.

Reading. I know that sounds odd as reading is something I do constantly, all day long. Read my own work, read other's work, read facts, research, read news, read to my son at bedtime . . I'm talking about reading for pleasure, something that I always did since I was a child - I've always been (or was) an avid bookworm and had 2-3 books on the go at any given time. Honestly, it's now been at least a few years since I picked up a book and read it from cover-to-cover. It's bizarre to me, where that long-held passion has disappeared to. I miss it.
This one for me also,I have always loved to read,I have not picked up a book to read in weeks.

I'd forgotten how much I loved books until a few days ago when the missus came back from her trip away with a copy of Watership Down as a gift for me, I'd previously mentioned to her how much I loved that book as a child. That's why I was down the library yesterday renewing old friendships with messrs Tolkien, Asimov and that geezer who wrote all the scary honeysuckle.

Hey randomguy are you thinking about Stephen King?I know he writes all the scary books.

Aha I finally found it, it was called Rats (obvious when you think about it ) by James Herbert.

@ringwood The Librarian didn't know that, I feel she may not have been employed for her brains .... oh great I'm a bloody sexist now! 😱
Wow. I had the answer in two seconds by Googling 'book about giant rats, British author'. Maybe the librarian is lacking in brains a bit, but I know great boobies act as a lure, getting more people in the door and thus, reading books. See? The people doing the hiring are smart as fresia!

Wow. I had the answer in two seconds by Googling 'book about giant rats, British author'.
I didn't want to google it, you know that feeling when it's on the tip of your tongue, google feels like cheating. I did google it in the end though.

To be fair to the Librarian at that stage all I had was 'mice' and 'I think they eat some people'

Latest posts

Back