Is treatment for aspergers any diffrent than treatment for social anxiety?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DHZ

Reaction score
I'm just wondering since I've been getting treated for social anxiety for years, but I don't really seem to be getting any better. Since it seems like I probably have aspergers, would getting treated for be more effective than just getting treatment for social anxiety?

Poor social skills (and the resulting anxiety) is a symptom of Asperger's. But, if you haven't been diagnosed with it yet it'll be hard to get treated FOR that. So, that would be your first course of action, IMO.

Personally, I don't feel it's the same treatment, as there are many aspects of Asperger's to be "treated." But, yes, social anxiety does get addressed in the treatment of it. My son is not on any medication for Asperger's, as drugs are a last ditch resource for me. I prefer other methods, such as diet changes and therapy. Getting out of your comfort zone, as long as you stay on a stability based routine is also helpful. Try new things, face your fears, talk to people, even if you think you will "mess up" or say the wrong thing. I feel it comes from learning your weaknesses and strengths, but you can't find those until you put yourself out there and test yourself.

Just curious, how do you know you have Asperger's syndrome? I thought this could be diagnosed by a medical professional - have you been to one that told you that you have this? I know there's a lot of information (and misinformation) on Dr. Google and just generally on the web - seems like your question would be better pointed to a professional.

-Teresa

TheRealCallie said:
Poor social skills (and the resulting anxiety) is a symptom of Asperger's. But, if you haven't been diagnosed with it yet it'll be hard to get treated FOR that. So, that would be your first course of action, IMO.

Personally, I don't feel it's the same treatment, as there are many aspects of Asperger's to be "treated." But, yes, social anxiety does get addressed in the treatment of it. My son is not on any medication for Asperger's, as drugs are a last ditch resource for me. I prefer other methods, such as diet changes and therapy. Getting out of your comfort zone, as long as you stay on a stability based routine is also helpful. Try new things, face your fears, talk to people, even if you think you will "mess up" or say the wrong thing. I feel it comes from learning your weaknesses and strengths, but you can't find those until you put yourself out there and test yourself.

Don't forget that routines and a self-imposed structure are a necessity for many on the spectrum.. this becomes more important, actually, as you go down the scale of executive functioning.

I imagine routines may not be so necessary for an Aspie who is highly task oriented and organized; but for the slower Aspies, especially those with ADD-ish traits and a poor working memory, they will need the comfort/familiarity of routines. "Getting out of your comfort zone" is something that needs proper readiness before diving in, in this case.

Speaking as someone in the medical field, be very careful of people in authority who want to medicalize your every problem. I'm not saying your experiences are less real than others, or that you do not have a genuine development disorder; but it's also very profitable to some people for you to have one. Or to think you have one. I have spent three minutes trying to type this eloquently, but that's as good as it gets.

Counseling and therapy are great tools for talking out problems and getting some idea of what the root is. However, it's not a cure. The only cure to social anxiety lies in action. I really like Callie's post. I suffered from crippling social anxiety in my early 20s, and was thoroughly convinced I had any number of other, bigger things wrong with me; but the only way I beat it was through exposure therapy and forcing myself out of my apartment and to be around other people. I would not be where I am now -married, relatively successful, enjoying life- had I turned to a psychiatrist.

It also helped me realize that it's O.K. to be an introvert if you know your limits but push them a little; and that socializing is fine as long as I make 'me' time as well.

It probably took me four solid years of effort, and a couple of false revelations, before I really picked up on the intricacies of communication. My friends still know me as a little bit strange, but they're ok with that because I relish my eccentricities. It doesn't make them want to not mountain bike with me or leave me out of having lunch and a local brew. My step-brother, who exhibits some very striking symptoms of the autism spectrum, has learned to cope through the same methods, albeit unwillingly. He now hosts pen-and-paper games. He might not ever find a mate, sadly (mostly he just won't look), but he's far exceeded where he could have stayed.

It's a delicate balance of knowing yourself and being comfortable there, and pushing your own limitations. But really, exposure therapy is the only true cure I've found. My friend Devin has very high anxiety and is constantly switching medications to try and remain balanced. I don't believe he's tried to use any real coping mechanisms.

That got a little off topic. TL;DR- Be careful about letting the doctor define you through the DSM-V. As well-intentioned as your doctor may be, the people who write that book like your money, a lot; whether you do or do not have Aspergers.

Batman55 said:
"Getting out of your comfort zone" is something that needs proper readiness before diving in, in this case.

This is an important point. My mom is always telling me I need to get out of my comfort zone and expand my horizons and stuff, but the problem right now is my comfort zone is in such a dire state anyways (with almost no one who is actually physically near me to help me out; she lives across the world from me). It's not stable, so I'm too preoccupied in trying to stabilize my life and get a job (before my savings runs out) to actually try getting out of that "comfort zone" right now.

Latest posts

Back