Its not "inflation," its corporate price gouging; greed

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it's both.

It would be great if we could all unite and stop buying certain products that have a stupid high profit margin. We could call it the Buyer's Union.

It's interesting to watch how Walmart raises prices. First they jack up the price on something way over what other stores sell the item for. Very few people will buy the item. Then they slowly bring the price down until they get the perfect amount of increase with sell counts to maximize profits. Then it stays that price for awhile until the next round. They don't say they should make 22.5% profit. It's obvious they max out the profits on individual items.

Now, my local Walmart has a ton of missing price tags on the shelves because the prices are increasing so quickly that the workers can't keep up with the changes.

Yes, it's both.

It would be great if we could all unite and stop buying certain products that have a stupid high profit margin. We could call it the Buyer's Union.

It's interesting to watch how Walmart raises prices. First they jack up the price on something way over what other stores sell the item for. Very few people will buy the item. Then they slowly bring the price down until they get the perfect amount of increase with sell counts to maximize profits. Then it stays that price for awhile until the next round. They don't say they should make 22.5% profit. It's obvious they max out the profits on individual items.

Now, my local Walmart has a ton of missing price tags on the shelves because the prices are increasing so quickly that the workers can't keep up with the changes.
Lots of price increases are connected to increase in price of cardboard, which again is fault of consumers excessive on line buying. It would be great if that bored shopping stopped.

^ I don't know because I haven't looked into that. But, it sounds logical and reasonable. My neighbors throw away clean cardboard into the trash and ignore the recycling bin. Grrrrrrrrrr!!!! It's also all of the returns! That's crazy. Back and forther shipping? Blaaaaaa. We are so wasteful as a society.

However, I can really understand the online shopping thing.

So, I go to Walmart for a meat thermometer. The stuff that have in stock are overpriced junk that have no markings about accuracy. I think the cheapest one was $18. I go home, get on the Walmart website and find a highly accurate, somewhat quality one for $9. I looked elsewhere online and the price for it is $16. So, obviously I bought the good one for $9 and having it shipped to me for free. ;)

I like the one I bought. But, Walmart, and other stores, like Home Depot, purposely only carry the cheaper quality items in the stores and mark them way up. So, it leaves the shopper no good alternative except to by the item online.

^ I don't know because I haven't looked into that. But, it sounds logical and reasonable. My neighbors throw away clean cardboard into the trash and ignore the recycling bin. Grrrrrrrrrr!!!! It's also all of the returns! That's crazy. Back and forther shipping? Blaaaaaa. We are so wasteful as a society.

However, I can really understand the online shopping thing.

So, I go to Walmart for a meat thermometer. The stuff that have in stock are overpriced junk that have no markings about accuracy. I think the cheapest one was $18. I go home, get on the Walmart website and find a highly accurate, somewhat quality one for $9. I looked elsewhere online and the price for it is $16. So, obviously I bought the good one for $9 and having it shipped to me for free. ;)

I like the one I bought. But, Walmart, and other stores, like Home Depot, purposely only carry the cheaper quality items in the stores and mark them way up. So, it leaves the shopper no good alternative except to by the item online.
I am just pointing out how sometimes we create our own demise, including the supply chain breakdown. People had no place to spend, but shop on line. Then they blame governments for private business failures.

I totally agree with this, and I'm afraid that prices will never go down again, even after the dust and debris of COVID and the supply chain crisis clears. I feel like it was either the excuse they were waiting for, or an opportunity that fell right into their laps. I'm afraid it will only speed us along even faster down the road to dystopia, and away from how things used to be, and in my opinion, still could be and should be.

I feel like the income inequality is taking America further and further from how the world used to see us, and is making us into a joke, a parody of what we used to be.

End the Reaganomics bullshit, it was always a scam.
And return to post-WW2 America - at least economically.

Last edited:
I totally agree with this, and I'm afraid that prices will never go down again, even after the dust and debris of COVID and the supply chain crisis clears. I feel like it was either the excuse they were waiting for, or an opportunity that fell right into their laps. I'm afraid it will only speed us along even faster down the road to dystopia, and away from how things used to be, and in my opinion, still could be and should be.

I feel like the income inequality is taking America further and further from how the world used to see us, and is making us into a joke, a parody of what we used to be.

519776B7-1BA9-49C3-9630-B9A9DF4F1EB5.jpeg

Yeah, I feel that.

Although I feel like we should try to take our country back too.

America has the potential to be really good on paper, we sort of were once, and I think we could be again. We just have to get people to stop drinking the billionaires' Kool-Aid.

The problem is I think it's going to be very slow-going, and it's going to get worse before it gets better, because enough people haven't realized yet that unrestrained capitalism isn't a good thing, and that we actually needed those safeguards we got rid of, otherwise the whole game breaks.

It's like a video game - the rich are overpowered, we need to introduce an update that makes the game more balanced.

Last edited:
I am just pointing out how sometimes we create our own demise, including the supply chain breakdown. People had no place to spend, but shop on line. Then they blame governments for private business failures.
The government juiced the system by dolling out vast amounts of "free" money. Most people spend money as fast as they get it. That was the intention, to keep the facade of a stable / growing economy going. So, spending they did, record numbers as a matter of fact. Governments shut down businesses and transportation companies in the supply chain. They still are. If you have a positive Covid test then you have to stay home whether you are ill or not. So, the two items collided. That's what happened.

Absolutely. Businesses are in bussiness to make money not be fair, nice, or helpful establishments that support people no matter how many **** commericals they show on TV saying the opposite. If the current CEO's are NOT getting the companies higher profit margins then they are kicked to the curb.

Biden has said this inflation is temporary in order to keep his approval up for the coming elections. They know that the majority of people will believe whatever they say. The price of gasoline started climbing and people were mad. So, in order to hide some of the inflation he started flooding the market with oil from our reserves. That will work for a short time.

But, we are looking at the bottom of the prices for just about everything right now. The prices are crazy high too. The people on the low end of the scale will get hammered the hardest even though all this spending is supposed to help them. The middle class will continue to be yanked down. The upper class doesn't really care that they pay double for their stuff because their bills are only a tiny percentage of their wealth and / or income.

The current administration knows that so they are giving out even more "free" money to people with children as another way to hide the inflation and spure on the economy, which just creates more inflation and higher prices. The big plan with the current administration is to spend our way out of all this mess. All it does is devalue the dollar. It's basic economics.

..... that unrestrained capitalism isn't a good thing, and that we actually needed those safeguards we got rid of, otherwise the whole game breaks.

It's like a video game - the rich are overpowered, we need to introduce an update that makes the game more balanced.
Before:
Government = The People

Now:
Government = Big Business

Voting Before:
Mostly Individual Contributions

Voting Now:
Mostly Big Business Contributions

See a pattern?

Before:
Government = The People

Now:
Government = Big Business

Voting Before:
Mostly Individual Contributions

Voting Now:
Mostly Big Business Contributions

See a pattern?

Yeah, plus I just think there was more of a sense of fair play before. Like you said, businesses today are just in it to make money, not to play nice or perform a function, and don't see themselves as part of something bigger than themselves, that they exist to serve. Instead they see themselves as the ends and the means. I feel like in the past, rich people understood that they were still part of the country as a whole, and their interest was tied to everyone else's. We were all Americans. Today the rich couldn't care less if the actions they take for short-term gains, screws up the rest of the country. There's less real patriotism today, even though there's more noise about patriotism than ever.

Last edited:
The government juiced the system by dolling out vast amounts of "free" money. Most people spend money as fast as they get it. That was the intention, to keep the facade of a stable / growing economy going. So, spending they did, record numbers as a matter of fact. Governments shut down businesses and transportation companies in the supply chain. They still are. If you have a positive Covid test then you have to stay home whether you are ill or not. So, the two items collided. That's what happened.
Ummm, government tried to help people who lost income, and I bet they aren’t the ones joy shopping on Amazon. I can’t recall a post of yours where you haven’t blamed the government for something. Can‘t wait to read your post blaming government for being single. If interested here is a segment on chain supply issues.

...isn't it always?
It's our own faults, though. We elect the people that help them get away with it.

At our local Walmart, they too are missing a good number of shelf label. Fortunately here it is not due to some plot. It has to do with their difficulty in keeping enough employees and the inadequate training of new ones. Sometimes it is just easier for them to move or remove a shelf label than to follow the intended procedure.

Also the strips holding the labels are less than ideal and if the label gets knocked out and lost, it may take forever for them to replace them. It doesn't mean the price was raised.

Ummm, government tried to help people who lost income, and I bet they aren’t the ones joy shopping on Amazon. I can’t recall a post of yours where you haven’t blamed the government for something. Can‘t wait to read your post blaming government for being single. If interested here is a segment on chain supply issues.

Ummmm, government definitely did help many people who lost income because the government selectively forced different sectors to shut done.

But, many people also got lots of money that didn't need it too. Many companies that never lost any business got large free government loans that they will never have to pay back. Many fraudulent free loans and unemployment payments were doled out. Also, don't you remember how people were getting paid more with unemployment then if they actually worked. So they went on unemployment. That only makes sense. That was all over the news. I'm sure you remember that atleast. That shut down alot of sectors including the transportation sector like dock workers, loaders, etc, etc. So, things started to get backed up.

Then, other countries, especially China, where we get most of our crap shut down hard and basically came to a complete stop. So, what did we do, we said okay we're open for business now and then continued to hand out lots of money trying to spur on our economy all while saying don't worry they'll be no inflation. But, China was not ready for the demand we had before all the free money. But, with all the free money the demand increased even more.

If the money was just to keep people afloat that needed it then why are most of the shopping records continuing to get blown away? That's extra crap like on Amazon, etc, etc it's not basic needed supplies. ONLY the people that needed help should have been helped. So, where did all the money come from to buy all that extra crap? Look at the big picture not just your circumstances and your friends circumstances.

We still have workers not doing their jobs because of positive tests even though they have no symptoms. So, that's another reason for the shortages. Yet, Fauci has said, we are all going to get Covid and be infected by it.

I can't recall a post of yours where you have blamed the government for anything. Ha! Ha! So, you think the government is perfect?

Most of my posts are related in one way or another to government spending. I have already posted links to the federals's balance sheet. And their other finance reporting sites. But that was pretty much ignored. Their own balance sheet says we are bankrupt for the entire world to see. Our debt is out of control. Here the debt clock in real time too:

https://usdebtclock.org/

If you don't think the US spending is a problem and out of control then we can't even try to have a real discussion. There are several reasons why we won't go bankrupt and you should read about those. However, we are just getting started with inflation so buckle up.

For every action
Ummmm, government definitely did help many people who lost income because the government selectively forced different sectors to shut done.

But, many people also got lots of money that didn't need it too. Many companies that never lost any business got large free government loans that they will never have to pay back. Many fraudulent free loans and unemployment payments were doled out. Also, don't you remember how people were getting paid more with unemployment then if they actually worked. So they went on unemployment. That only makes sense. That was all over the news. I'm sure you remember that atleast. That shut down alot of sectors including the transportation sector like dock workers, loaders, etc, etc. So, things started to get backed up.

Then, other countries, especially China, where we get most of our crap shut down hard and basically came to a complete stop. So, what did we do, we said okay we're open for business now and then continued to hand out lots of money trying to spur on our economy all while saying don't worry they'll be no inflation. But, China was not ready for the demand we had before all the free money. But, with all the free money the demand increased even more.

If the money was just to keep people afloat that needed it then why are most of the shopping records continuing to get blown away? That's extra crap like on Amazon, etc, etc it's not basic needed supplies. ONLY the people that needed help should have been helped. So, where did all the money come from to buy all that extra crap? Look at the big picture not just your circumstances and your friends circumstances.

We still have workers not doing their jobs because of positive tests even though they have no symptoms. So, that's another reason for the shortages. Yet, Fauci has said, we are all going to get Covid and be infected by it.

I can't recall a post of yours where you have blamed the government for anything. Ha! Ha! So, you think the government is perfect?

Most of my posts are related in one way or another to government spending. I have already posted links to the federals's balance sheet. And their other finance reporting sites. But that was pretty much ignored. Their own balance sheet says we are bankrupt for the entire world to see. Our debt is out of control. Here the debt clock in real time too:

https://usdebtclock.org/

If you don't think the US spending is a problem and out of control then we can't even try to have a real discussion. There are several reasons why we won't go bankrupt and you should read about those. However, we are just getting started with inflation so buckle up.
For every action, equal and opposite reaction! You keep bitching at the government I respond in defense, ha ha!
We are paying unemployment insurance, we get to use it. To determine who needs it for real would take foreve, and the need was immediate. Its truly shameful that some actually made more money not working, but shame is not on them or the government. Why is it gov fault people are severely underpaid? It’s capitalism after all. Many people in government are trying to raise minimum, but other PEOPLE in government won’t allow it. If you can’t pay people living wage, don’t run a biz. But that’s now over, and still tons of jobs are not filled. Not sure what president in style would do, let people rob each other for a slice of bread I suppose.

Yeah, Trumpy bear and his buddy Mnuchin took care of their friends. Many loans are under investigation, some crooks already in jail. So PEOPLE are honeysuckle and took advantage of governments good will. It happens every day “we the people” screwing our own government. Not to mention PEOPLE elected highly unethical lifelong crook and cheat to run the government. We have government we deserve. Time after time we elect undeserving morally questionable to represent us. I guess, this is us they represent.

Absolutely. Businesses are in bussiness to make money not be fair, nice, or helpful establishments that support people no matter how many **** commericals they show on TV saying the opposite. If the current CEO's are NOT getting the companies higher profit margins then they are kicked to the curb.

Biden has said this inflation is temporary in order to keep his approval up for the coming elections. They know that the majority of people will believe whatever they say. The price of gasoline started climbing and people were mad. So, in order to hide some of the inflation he started flooding the market with oil from our reserves. That will work for a short time.

But, we are looking at the bottom of the prices for just about everything right now. The prices are crazy high too. The people on the low end of the scale will get hammered the hardest even though all this spending is supposed to help them. The middle class will continue to be yanked down. The upper class doesn't really care that they pay double for their stuff because their bills are only a tiny percentage of their wealth and / or income.

The current administration knows that so they are giving out even more "free" money to people with children as another way to hide the inflation and spure on the economy, which just creates more inflation and higher prices. The big plan with the current administration is to spend our way out of all this mess. All it does is devalue the dollar. It's basic economics.
The central banks control the money. Our money supply was strong until a few billionaires snuck off to Jekyll Island and created the Federal Reserve. Next they tricked congress to accept the Federal Reserve. The Federal Reserve is a private company. As long as our government continues to print money, our dollars will continue to be devalued, causing inflation and price increases. The government is trashing the future of young people.

Latest posts

Back