It's okay to be a misanthrope

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solitary man

Reaction score
What follows is a piece I wrote some time ago, in a bid to reassure misanthropes (like myself) that there is really nothing wrong with not liking other people, and that usually it's unavoidable. I hope you enjoy:

If you are an honest, decent person it's very difficult not to be a misanthrope. For me, misanthropy was not a choice, it was a simple, natural response to the way most people are, or at least seem to be. I've seen and experienced too much selfishness, egotism, narcissism, megalomania, phoniness, duplicity, nastiness and just pure downright evil in people for them to be even remotely likeable. And I don't use the term "evil" in the religious sense of the word, just as an accurate descriptor of the malice which seems to reside within a great many people.

There just seems to be an excessive amount of corruption within people, and "good natured people" seem to becoming increasingly hard to find. I'm not claiming to be an angel, I have my faults, inconsistencies, and am far from perfect myself, but at my core I consider myself to be a good person (remember "good"?). I value truth, honesty, and sincerity. I have zero tolerance for disingenuous people, and once I get a whiff of phoniness from another person I automatically and immediately erect my protective barrier and block them out.

Everywhere I go I see anxiety and fear in people, and out of that fear comes a terrible hostility. People do not trust one another. There is too much selfishness, competitiveness, egocentrism, fear and prejudice within people for them ever to fully empathise and happily get along. Most social interactions feel like a power struggle and a poorly disguised battle for control, with everyone wanting to be in control and dominate or humiliate the other person. I think human insecurity lies at the root of a lot of this, and whilst understandable, it's not pleasant to experience.

I avoid people as I don't like most of them, it's that simple. I have found it impossible to find anything likeable about most people, and I do not enjoy interacting with them. Some people might think of me as "a weirdo" or "an oddball", I really couldn't care less. I would much rather be a loner and a recluse and be honest with myself and my feelings about other people than put on a façade and pretend to like people whilst feeling a natural contempt for them.

There is nothing remotely wrong with misanthropy or misanthropes. Misanthropy has been defined as "a generalized dislike, distrust, disgust, contempt and hatred of the human species, human nature, or society." As misanthropes we are people who have seen and experienced enough of the inherent corruption within the human species and the society which humans have created, based upon selfishness, ruthlessness, duplicity and greed to feel any admiration for humankind.

A misanthrope is someone who values selflessness, integrity and authenticity, and who rejects the corrupt nature of the human condition as it has become, knowing that most people have allowed themselves to degenerate to such an extent that any positive attributes still remotely traceable within human nature have become minimal. The positives have been so greatly overshadowed and eroded by the beast that continues to ravage what little goodness which may still exist within humankind so as to render it negligible and virtually meaningless.

I am proud to call myself "a misanthrope", as I do not dislike people out of a gratuitous or misguided sense of malice, but from having experienced enough of the bastards to realise that regrettably you must protect yourself from most people if you wish to survive. That's a pretty damning indictment of the human species, but it comes from life experience, and it's just as truthful and valid as any antithetical rose-tinted view of human nature.

Having said all of this, I still believe in love, compassion and understanding, and haven't give up hope entirely. I tread cautiously and curiously, hoping that the small element of "goodness" still to be found amidst the abundance of negative human qualities can once again begin to grow and find strength, and that people shall begin to lose their fear, selfishness and highly competitive natures, and develop a desire to embrace a spirit of utilitarian co-operation, dispensing with the ruthless, individualistic, self defeating aggression of the past.

Misanthropes are the biggest disapprovers of humanity. Our disapproval comes from a very natural repulsion to all of the negative characteristics of human nature; characteristics which have proven impossible to appreciate, value or respect. For this reason I shall always be an outsider, a loner, a recluse and a misanthrope. I take no sense of moral superiority from this mode of being, just a very deep sense of sadness, and a simple self preservational desire to protect myself from my fellow man in his current condition.

I'm sorry to read about what you have been through that have led you to misanthropy. You do make a fair point in that and I'm glad you haven't exactly given up hope entirely, and that you still believe in love, compassion and understanding. I think that's what's most important to continue to hope for.. it sorta keeps some people going at least, to when it is their turn.

It's not easy living this world.. I can only hope more good people surround you in the future to come. I've found some really nice people here. It's amazing.

I wish you all the best.

I'm not giving up just yet, as I'd still like to be human just for one day.

Solitary man said:
I'm not giving up just yet, as I'd still like to be human just for one day.

I think it's already human of you to feel these things.

You're not unhuman. Just disappointed in humanity.

I agree with you. Some of the most powerful people seem to be the most disgusting. In that sense, I feel ashamed of my own humanity sometimes.

Thanks for posting this Solitary Man, I can really relate to it. I was able to avoid becoming being a "misanthrope" until about age 24. Well I was able to keep it at bay at least. Then I had a few years where I became very misanthropic, if thats a word. Over time I have been able to really focus on what positive change I can work towards. While I still acknowledge all of the bad and negative(I am certainly not ignorant of it), I strive to only focus on things that I can have an affect on. I also look to find what positive I can in people and in life.

I have somehow made it to a point where for the most part I am very positive about life, and while realistically the future doesn't look real good, I do what I can to keep the present as good as possible for myself and those around me. There are however many topics where remaining positive is a near impossibility if you are honest with yourself about the issue. I usually attempt to avoid these.

Thanks again, and now I know the definition of misanthrope. Not sure how I made it this far in life without knowing the term. Take care

I agree. It reminds me of one of my favorite George Carlin Quotes-"Scratch any cynic and you will find a disappointed idealist."
Also, who doesn't love holden Caulfield?

Garbageman said:
Thanks for posting this Solitary Man, I can really relate to it. I was able to avoid becoming being a "misanthrope" until about age 24. Well I was able to keep it at bay at least. Then I had a few years where I became very misanthropic, if thats a word. Over time I have been able to really focus on what positive change I can work towards. While I still acknowledge all of the bad and negative(I am certainly not ignorant of it), I strive to only focus on things that I can have an affect on. I also look to find what positive I can in people and in life.

I have somehow made it to a point where for the most part I am very positive about life, and while realistically the future doesn't look real good, I do what I can to keep the present as good as possible for myself and those around me. There are however many topics where remaining positive is a near impossibility if you are honest with yourself about the issue. I usually attempt to avoid these.

Thanks again, and now I know the definition of misanthrope. Not sure how I made it this far in life without knowing the term. Take care

I once read a book called "The power of positive thinking", it was very insightful, but the problem, as you have rightly pointed out, is that negative thoughts are sometimes unavoidable. Sometimes the the truth about something is unavoidably negative; the key is to accept the negative truth, and not allow it to drag you down.

You do us all a favor by posting this fine thread, sir. Those of us who are misanthropes have our reasons, & those listed in the OP are usually among them. Once one recognizes the human condition for the festering, misbegotten afterbirth that it is, misanthropy is the only real response for those of us who have any kind of standards for ourselves.

If you haven't done so already, I recommend reading the works of Ambrose Bierce. He was the greatest misanthrope America has yet produced & surely one of the greatest of all time. The Unabridged Devil's Dictionary is the authoritative collection of Bierce's definitions, & I strongly recommend it. Another great read is With Charity Toward None: A Fond Look at Misanthropy by Florence King. It's fairly dated, as King put it out in 1992, & I consider some of her positions to be insufficient for a misanthropic attitude, but if you've developed a dislike for Homo not-so-sapiens & wish to hone it to a fine edge, King's book is excellent supplementary guidance.

The greatest misanthrope? I'm misunderstanding the greatness in this. I honestly don't see the dislike for a general population. I understand disappointment in people, but the energy and effort in having such a dislike for people. I don't see the point in wasting my time.

VanillaCreme said:
The greatest misanthrope? I'm misunderstanding the greatness in this. I honestly don't see the dislike for a general population. I understand disappointment in people, but the energy and effort in having such a dislike for people. I don't see the point in wasting my time.

The shorthand (& cliched) answer would be "If I have to explain, you'll never understand." It's just recognizing what human nature really is & tailoring one's attitude & expectations of most others to reflect that reality. I find it far more demanding to believe in some mythical goodness basic to mankind--& it is tremendously draining, not to mention futile, to struggle to improve the human condition. If you still don't get it, check out the two books I listed...King's work is a nice intro overall, though still dated & politically biased for my druthers.

OH MAN Solitary Man.... I liked that ... I liked that allot !!

""I have zero tolerance for disingenuous people, and once I get a whiff of phoniness from another person I automatically and immediately erect my protective barrier and block them out. ""

That be me... That be me !! I have been lied to my whole life, and liars are the worst to me.... I would rather deal with a ******* any day, than a liar... I have a saying I live by...

"If someone can't be real with me, they aren't real to me !"

I don't hate people I just can't stand Fake, Phony, Frauds, that pose as people !!

Thank you so much for that post.... I am NOT INSANE Bouhahahaha !! Misanthropes UNITE !!

Alienated said:
OH MAN Solitary Man.... I liked that ... I liked that allot !!

""I have zero tolerance for disingenuous people, and once I get a whiff of phoniness from another person I automatically and immediately erect my protective barrier and block them out. ""

That be me... That be me !! I have been lied to my whole life, and liars are the worst to me.... I would rather deal with a ******* any day, than a liar... I have a saying I live by...

"If someone can't be real with me, they aren't real to me !"

I don't hate people I just can't stand Fake, Phony, Frauds, that pose as people !!

Thank you so much for that post.... I am NOT INSANE Bouhahahaha !! Misanthropes UNITE !!

Lol, glad you appreciated it, my friend. The world is full of fakes, and that's a sad and disturbing fact.

I protect myself from them with zero tolerance; I don't give them the time of day .

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
What is so great about hating other human beings?

Absolutely nothing, but I have found hatred of the human species to be unavoidable, as they certainly aren't lovable.

Solitary man said:
LeaningIntoTheMuse said:

Absolutely nothing, but I have found hatred of the human species to be unavoidable, as they certainly aren't lovable.

Just take off your rose colored glasses, eliminate cognitive bias, dissonance, delusion, and heal Cranial Rectal Invertenitous.. and anyone with a freaking brain, empathy, or sanity would be able to see that... QUITE CLEARLY !!

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:

Absolutely nothing. Like VanillaCreme said, wasted energy.

Hating others is easy - too easy for my tastes. Finding the good in people can be hard work, but it's a lot more rewarding. I've found some great people who I never would have met if I were full of hate. Respect, love, compassion and understanding are more useful than hatred.

Latest posts

Back