It's okay to be a misanthrope

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's something beautifully poetic about the OP's post that I really like. And I see myself agreeing with a lot of it, especially, these paragraphs:

Solitary man said:
Everywhere I go I see anxiety and fear in people, and out of that fear comes a terrible hostility. People do not trust one another. There is too much selfishness, competitiveness, egocentrism, fear and prejudice within people for them ever to fully empathise and happily get along. Most social interactions feel like a power struggle and a poorly disguised battle for control, with everyone wanting to be in control and dominate or humiliate the other person. I think human insecurity lies at the root of a lot of this, and whilst understandable, it's not pleasant to experience.

I avoid people as I don't like most of them, it's that simple. I have found it impossible to find anything likeable about most people, and I do not enjoy interacting with them. Some people might think of me as "a weirdo" or "an oddball", I really couldn't care less. I would much rather be a loner and a recluse and be honest with myself and my feelings about other people than put on a façade and pretend to like people whilst feeling a natural contempt for them.

This

Solitary man said:
I am proud to call myself "a misanthrope", as I do not dislike people out of a gratuitous or misguided sense of malice, but from having experienced enough of the bastards to realise that regrettably you must protect yourself from most people if you wish to survive. That's a pretty damning indictment of the human species, but it comes from life experience, and it's just as truthful and valid as any antithetical rose-tinted view of human nature.

Misanthropy, for me, isn't "hatred" as such as much as it is not caring enough to be around humans, get to know them, engage in all the activities that you are supposed to as a part of a "society", etc.

I've had my share of experiences and even at a relatively young age, I have experienced a lot of the hostility the OP speaks about that humans have towards each other. They will only be around you if they don't consider you competition. If you are, they will be up your asses so deep that they'll suffocate to death there!

So yeah, I'm a misanthrope and I'm proud to admit that I am. I'm not sure if this is a decision for life (I'll check again when my depression and anxiety are slightly relived) but as of now, I don't see myself liking humans for a very, very long time.

Locke said:
LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
What is so great about hating other human beings?

Absolutely nothing. Like VanillaCreme said, wasted energy.

Hating others is easy - too easy for my tastes. Finding the good in people can be hard work, but it's a lot more rewarding. I've found some great people who I never would have met if I were full of hate. Respect, love, compassion and understanding are more useful than hatred.

What if you one day come to the realisation that virtually everyone around you is a selfish, egotistical, phony and that there is no-one genuine you can talk to? What if you see through people's facade, their act, their control dramas and their sly, devious, controlling, deceitful and manipulative ways, and cannot avoid coming to the conclusion that there is very little which is likeable or admirable in most people?

You're right; respect, love, compassion and understanding are more useful than hatred, and believe me, I don't want to hate anyone. In fact, I don't feel hatred for people, it's gone beyond that to the point of apathy; I just don't care about people, as they have proven themselves to be not worth caring about, and trust me, I am a naturally caring person.

EveWasFramed said:
I wonder if the condition just simply stems from lack of tolerance for others.

I must confess to being intolerant of selfish, egotistical, phony people. I can't help that. In fact, I have no desire to remedy it.

Solitary man said:
EveWasFramed said:
I wonder if the condition just simply stems from lack of tolerance for others.

I must confess to being intolerant of selfish, egotistical, phony people. I can't help that. In fact, I have no desire to remedy it.

But see...here's the thing. Your opinions of others might not be shared by everyone else. Maybe what you or I call "selfish" might not be what someone else considers selfish. Maybe what you call "phony" some people call "socially adaptive." Some of it is all about perspective.

Solitary man said:
What if you one day come to the realisation that virtually everyone around you is a selfish, egotistical, phony and that there is no-one genuine you can talk to? What if you see through people's facade, their act, their control dramas and their sly, devious, controlling, deceitful and manipulative ways, and cannot avoid coming to the conclusion that there is very little which is likeable or admirable in most people?

You're right; respect, love, compassion and understanding are more useful than hatred, and believe me, I don't want to hate anyone. In fact, I don't feel hatred for people, it's gone beyond that to the point of apathy; I just don't care about people, as they have proved themselves to be not worth caring about.

I think that's rather sad. To always think the worst of people... People you don't even know. Because you don't know them, you automatically look down your sights and paint a target on their forehead. I'm sorry, I just don't see the point in wasting time, energy, and effort on disliking everyone just because I've been disappointed in some people. You're branding all the colors black and white without even looking at the shades of grey.

I suppose I shouldn't care though, because it's not my wasted time. You can waste your time and energy all you want. More luck to you. Besides, the day I realize I can tell exactly what people will act like in every situation, and that I know exactly who everyone really is, I'm going to make bank on my revelations.

The only problem I see with my misanthropy ... Is it takes my eyes off myself, allowing my own self deception in. And I myself suffer from the same affliction that I hate so much in others.... Making me just a hypocritical and fake... but to MYSELF !!

We do live in a world of lies, that's a fact !! Humans are abusive even to themselves... it's the nature of the beast !

And I can attest that I am a brutal ******* to myself.... And I don't need anyone else's help in that area. But that's the only jobs people seem to LOVE volunteering for !!

I don't hate any people automatically, I do listen to them, and watch them.... and then once I get to know them... Then I hate them !! Now that's some God's Honest TRUTH !!

VanillaCreme said:
I think that's rather sad. To always think the worst of people... People you don't even know. Because you don't know them, you automatically look down your sights and paint a target on their forehead. I'm sorry, I just don't see the point in wasting time, energy, and effort on disliking everyone just because I've been disappointed in some people. You're branding all the colors black and white without even looking at the shades of grey.

Well of course there is some generalisation inherent with the very definition of misanthropy. Misanthropes dislike people in general, but I'm sure most are also capable of acknowledging that there are some good, decent people out there, it's just that they seem to be increasingly hard to find, being greatly outnumbered by the selfish, devious, phonies.

I've provided a lot of people with the opportunity to prove that they are genuine, and sooner or later, most have proven themselves to be self interested and contrived. Again, I must emphasise I don't want to hate people, and in fact don't; I just see too much selfishness, egotism and disingenuousness in too many people, and it is not misperception, this type of people actually exist and are out there in great numbers, and you must protect yourself from them if you wish to survive.

I suppose I shouldn't care though, because it's not my wasted time. You can waste your time and energy all you want. More luck to you. Besides, the day I realize I can tell exactly what people will act like in every situation, and that I know exactly who everyone really is, I'm going to make bank on my revelations.

You'll never know who anyone truly is, or be 100% certain if they are real or fake, as most people have a public persona which they present to the world, keeping their real selves hidden from social scrutiny.

""I have zero tolerance for disingenuous people, and once I get a whiff of phoniness from another person I automatically and immediately erect my protective barrier and block them out. ""

I'm out of here, enjoy your refund.... with interest !! Have a GOOD Day !

""I have zero tolerance for disingenuous people, and once I get a whiff of phoniness from another person I automatically and immediately erect my protective barrier and block them out. ""

I'm out of here, enjoy your refund.... with interest !! Have a GOOD Day !
I'm nine years older since I posted this thread and have realised the error of my ways. I no longer erect a protective psychological barrier against phony people, I grow high hedges and build walls with real bricks and mortar. Ask my phony neighbours.

I'm nine years older since I posted this thread and have realised the error of my ways. I no longer erect a protective psychological barrier against phony people, I grow high hedges and build walls with real bricks and mortar. Ask my phony neighbours.
I thought this was some awful necrobumped thread.

I read through your original post, then realize, it was from 2013, and my thoughts ran wild with how different things were then.

It was nice to see you were the one that came back to revive your thread.

It's a weird thing to ponder for me. For the vast majority of my life, I was always a very ghostly type of person. People didn't really take notice of me, except on a wild occasion; and when they did, they were always amazed. They were amazed, because I was always quiet and out of focus, and then my insight would come flashing through unexpectedly, and I would, 'wow,' people. It was always such a good feeling; but, people still kept their distance. Most people don't like to explore the depths, they are surface dwellers.

Since about 2015ish 2016ish, things changed. I was no longer the, 'likeable,' person. Since then, mostly, people seem to be indifferent, 'at best,' and at worst, are antagonistic towards me, to varying degrees.

I know I changed in some unfortunate ways; but, I have a theory that, a lot of it isn't me, it's my environment.

Take for example, a case of invasive species. You have some insect or creature of some kind, with all these maxed out stats, so that it can survive in a harsh environment. Then, due to man-made causes, they get transplanted somewhere else, and they just decimate local populations and breed in vast numbers, because they have no competition.

Well, I think my case is the opposite of that. I did actually physically relocate, before things changed for me; but, I lived as a hermit for many years, so, I was largely protected from the changes in environment. I would also later went through some unfavorable conditions, in the new environment, that changed my psyche.

To put all that to rest, my point is that, I think for whatever reason, people literally get stuck, in an environment that is antagonistic to them. And I think a lot of the time, they are either forced to stay there, due to circumstances, and/or, they don't even realize, things are different in other places.

It could be the people, and the types of people, it could be the geography and general sentiments influencing people. It could be the routines and habits. I mean, it literally could be anything; but, the point is, it's a mismatch between YOUR internals, and the EXTERNALS you inhabit.

So, I really do believe, it some times can be purely, nothing more, than physical location, and social climate. However, I think the real kicker, is that it's probably, more often than not, circumstance, that prevents us from finding a remedy.

Circumstance can keep us lost for so long we no longer remember that we were lost, so we stop looking.

Circumstance can erode us, to our core, even break us.

Circumstance can limit our perception and knowledge (ie: not knowing things would be different, if only we could change the circumstance).

And the worst of all is that, some times circumstance is the very thing that limits us, from changing our circumstance; and that can manifest in all sorts of way.

Lately though I've been reminded, by myself, of the concept of mind over mind. That old adage, where there is a will, there is a way. And I've forgotten over the years, how truly powerful the mind is.

So, lately, I too, am very fed up with people. I'm tired of them treating me like I'm a weirdo. I'm tired of them stepping on my toes or being antagonistic, or judging me, or giving me a hard time because clearly I don't have it bad enough.

I am really tired of people. So, I've become misanthropic; though, I don't have a huge affinity for the word or the label.

I can't even imagine, what it would be like to have compassion, patience, and understanding, from the people, my circumstances present to me, anymore...

But, I remember what it was like for me to have compassion and understanding of others. And I remember what it was like, to not ruminate so much, and also, to be treated well, more often than not.

I remember what it was like for things to just be kind or normal, and the worst of life, was just the relatively normal ups and downs. I remember what it was like to have my life be an exciting drama, filled with people, and sort of have a story to follow along.

So, I think it's circumstantial, and part of the circumstance is physical location, part of it is, where my life is at now, and part of it is social climate, on the town, city, state, nation, and even global scale.

It really is absolutely astonishing if you think about. Authoritarian leaders, the world over, are cropping up like ugly mushrooms and infecting everyone.

What's happening now is _REAL_ There is Deuterte in the Phillipines. There is that crazy guy in Brazil I think it is? Putin, Xi, etc..

Authoritarianism is on the rise; and it doesn't compromise, it's intolerant, it doesn't understand anyone, much less itself. It wants power, and control, and it's fueled by anger, despair, outrage, and it's roots, are in fear...

I'm scared too; but somehow, very few people seem to notice what is going on...

So as EveWasFramed said long ago, that maybe it's your perception. It's not, it's real. But it's our perception, as always, that offers the way out. Mind over mind.

My misanthropy is not necessarily something that I am proud of, but I'd be lying if I said that it hasn't come in handy at times. It's saved me from a lot of would-be bad situations.

But at the same time I do realize the limitations of my own mind as well as its flaws and why misanthropy is not an ideal state. In fact it's actually a response state rather than a default state.

A bit like a cocoon, actually.

It makes socializing beyond a certain point genuinely difficult because it's misunderstood. It's what happens to people who get burned by other people too often.

It isn't healthy or safe, but neither is the feedback loop of societies algorithms that make the mindless prey on those who do not own their minds beyond that of their basic instincts.

Perhaps if I were more socially cunning I'd have the "build an army out of the enemies army" approach, but the most I can muster is rigid diplomacy and understanding a person's pain from the mindlessness of being driven by their own consumptions.

If a person genuinely and wholeheartedly believes that thinking is bad and totally negative, than they are terminally stagnant in that mindlessness, which can and often does happen.

But for the person who understands that not all of thinking is a negative experience, that what makes it into a negative experience is having negative thoughts guided by negative feelings, there is opportunity for hope. That is, hope to learn to control ones thoughts better by means of teaching oneself to disregard ones feelings and thereafter try to put their thoughts on other things.

It is a rigorous and painful process that takes quite a bit of practice at first, just like any sort of an exercise, but this exercise is pretty vital to human longevity if you want to have a happier day-to-day life.

After watching this music video , it's perfectly fine. Instead of Beethoven, we should send this to aliens. :D

It's fairly hard to not be misanthropic when you see the shattered state society is in. Every time I leave my house, I see at least one thing that makes me despair of people.

I thought this was some awful necrobumped thread.

I read through your original post, then realize, it was from 2013, and my thoughts ran wild with how different things were then.

It was nice to see you were the one that came back to revive your thread.

It's a weird thing to ponder for me. For the vast majority of my life, I was always a very ghostly type of person. People didn't really take notice of me, except on a wild occasion; and when they did, they were always amazed. They were amazed, because I was always quiet and out of focus, and then my insight would come flashing through unexpectedly, and I would, 'wow,' people. It was always such a good feeling; but, people still kept their distance. Most people don't like to explore the depths, they are surface dwellers.

Since about 2015ish 2016ish, things changed. I was no longer the, 'likeable,' person. Since then, mostly, people seem to be indifferent, 'at best,' and at worst, are antagonistic towards me, to varying degrees.

I know I changed in some unfortunate ways; but, I have a theory that, a lot of it isn't me, it's my environment.

Take for example, a case of invasive species. You have some insect or creature of some kind, with all these maxed out stats, so that it can survive in a harsh environment. Then, due to man-made causes, they get transplanted somewhere else, and they just decimate local populations and breed in vast numbers, because they have no competition.

Well, I think my case is the opposite of that. I did actually physically relocate, before things changed for me; but, I lived as a hermit for many years, so, I was largely protected from the changes in environment. I would also later went through some unfavorable conditions, in the new environment, that changed my psyche.

To put all that to rest, my point is that, I think for whatever reason, people literally get stuck, in an environment that is antagonistic to them. And I think a lot of the time, they are either forced to stay there, due to circumstances, and/or, they don't even realize, things are different in other places.

It could be the people, and the types of people, it could be the geography and general sentiments influencing people. It could be the routines and habits. I mean, it literally could be anything; but, the point is, it's a mismatch between YOUR internals, and the EXTERNALS you inhabit.

So, I really do believe, it some times can be purely, nothing more, than physical location, and social climate. However, I think the real kicker, is that it's probably, more often than not, circumstance, that prevents us from finding a remedy.

Circumstance can keep us lost for so long we no longer remember that we were lost, so we stop looking.

Circumstance can erode us, to our core, even break us.

Circumstance can limit our perception and knowledge (ie: not knowing things would be different, if only we could change the circumstance).

And the worst of all is that, some times circumstance is the very thing that limits us, from changing our circumstance; and that can manifest in all sorts of way.

Lately though I've been reminded, by myself, of the concept of mind over mind. That old adage, where there is a will, there is a way. And I've forgotten over the years, how truly powerful the mind is.

So, lately, I too, am very fed up with people. I'm tired of them treating me like I'm a weirdo. I'm tired of them stepping on my toes or being antagonistic, or judging me, or giving me a hard time because clearly I don't have it bad enough.

I am really tired of people. So, I've become misanthropic; though, I don't have a huge affinity for the word or the label.

I can't even imagine, what it would be like to have compassion, patience, and understanding, from the people, my circumstances present to me, anymore...

But, I remember what it was like for me to have compassion and understanding of others. And I remember what it was like, to not ruminate so much, and also, to be treated well, more often than not.

I remember what it was like for things to just be kind or normal, and the worst of life, was just the relatively normal ups and downs. I remember what it was like to have my life be an exciting drama, filled with people, and sort of have a story to follow along.

So, I think it's circumstantial, and part of the circumstance is physical location, part of it is, where my life is at now, and part of it is social climate, on the town, city, state, nation, and even global scale.

It really is absolutely astonishing if you think about. Authoritarian leaders, the world over, are cropping up like ugly mushrooms and infecting everyone.

What's happening now is _REAL_ There is Deuterte in the Phillipines. There is that crazy guy in Brazil I think it is? Putin, Xi, etc..

Authoritarianism is on the rise; and it doesn't compromise, it's intolerant, it doesn't understand anyone, much less itself. It wants power, and control, and it's fueled by anger, despair, outrage, and it's roots, are in fear...

I'm scared too; but somehow, very few people seem to notice what is going on...

So as EveWasFramed said long ago, that maybe it's your perception. It's not, it's real. But it's our perception, as always, that offers the way out. Mind over mind.
Obviously a lot of philosophical and self introspective thought went into this. I think I follow you, but can't be entirely certain.

Latest posts

Back