I've Lost My Sense of Humor

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm evil. I laugh at everything and everyone. Life's too short to take yourself too seriously. Sometimes you just have to bow down at how ridiculous everything gets, or yourself. If you don't cry about it, might as well laugh at it 😈

I discovered the other day on Netflix that I could change the audible language on Seinfeld. I found the Spanish version the most interesting, with Japanese a close second. From memory, I think it was the Russian audio that was dubbed in with the English still audible - how can anyone listen to a show like that? The Spanish George was well chosen and funny.

Not totally. I mean, I still have a good laugh with tears and belly aches sometimes when I get together with my one friend that sometimes comes camping with me, but I very rarely even chuckle when I watch comedy TV shows or movies or even comedy performances. I just don't find what is said and done in such shows humorous at all. I find it stupid, inane, low brow, simple, annoying or pathetic. On the rare occasion I actually LOL when I read a book, because of a situational scene, and I love that. I enjoyed the comedy of Seinfeld , The IT Crowd and British comedy shows of the 70's and 80's, and several movies of that era ( Fletch comes to mind) but today's TV shows, well, I might watch them sometimes, but I'm not laughing at all. I've been in social circles where people have been laughing their heads off at some "joke" and I'm looking around like "What the heck was so funny?" Is it just me getting older or has the quality of comedy declined? I guess I'm asking people of my vintage (I'm a Gen Xer) because I'm supposing most younger people really like TBBT and whatever else is playing these days.

I find myself in a similar situation, and you know I'm a lot younger than you are. It's not like I don't laugh and smile at stuff and all of that, it just feels like there's always a kind of melancholic substrate beneath it. I'm not really unhappy, depressed or anything like that, but it's very hard for me to really have a good laugh at something. I feel as if I've seen and experienced everything this world has to offer, and if that results in a calmness and satisfaction that is positive, on the other hand it also makes me somewhat apathetic.

I find myself in a similar situation, and you know I'm a lot younger than you are. It's not like I don't laugh and smile at stuff and all of that, it just feels like there's always a kind of melancholic substrate beneath it. I'm not really unhappy, depressed or anything like that, but it's very hard for me to really have a good laugh at something. I feel as if I've seen and experienced everything this world has to offer, and if that results in a calmness and satisfaction that is positive, on the other hand it also makes me somewhat apathetic.
To all younger people, I encourage travel and discovery as much as possible to gain a wider perspective and understanding of the world around us. I have done a lot and still feel like there’s so much more to grasp.

I seem to find natural things more funnier; like how animals behave at times or genuine responses of people to certain situations, like pranks (but clever sensible ones, not the stupid dangerous and malicious ones)

Paradoxically, after a certain point in my life, rewatching things I used to find absolutely hilarious, I still laugh, but the laughter is painful and depressing, because I know that time of my life, is gone now. So, I mostly just avoid a lot of things a certain version of myself would have found quite funny. I suppose I've gotten used to it now, and can avoid it sufficiently. Weird experience though...

Paradoxically, after a certain point in my life, rewatching things I used to find absolutely hilarious, I still laugh, but the laughter is painful and depressing, because I know that time of my life, is gone now. So, I mostly just avoid a lot of things a certain version of myself would have found quite funny. I suppose I've gotten used to it now, and can avoid it sufficiently. Weird experience though...
Hmmm, well, things are usually more fun and probably funnier when we’re young, so I understand what you mean, but I don’t know why you’d want to deliberately deprive yourself like that. Why not just enjoy it anyway? Life is stages. Just make the most of each stage. Do you avoid everything you enjoyed as your younger self, like food? You shouldn’t need to if you just accept life is different stages.

Well, to all you guys, I wish I could help you out some more lol.
Look, from the road I've traveled so far, I should probably be easily insane. Maybe on some level, I am. But...laughter in a rough situation got me through it all. The rougher it gets, the more I try to laugh at it, especially when it IS depressing.
I won't go onto too many details, but for example, when I got out of the hospital with my oldest, all of us were depressed, probably all PTSD. I'm helping her out of the wheelchair to get her in the car and I go "See? This is going to be what it's like with me in 40 years, kid. You better return the favor or I'll whup you with my cane". We laughed to tears in the car. It wasn't even funny. But...whatever keeps us intact, right?
Laughter is therapeutic. But I think it also comes with a sense of abandonment. You have to let go.
If that helps any 😉

To all younger people, I encourage travel and discovery as much as possible to gain a wider perspective and understanding of the world around us. I have done a lot and still feel like there’s so much more to grasp.

Philosophical! Nietzsche used to recommend traveling for the same reason, and I like Nietzsche very much. But then, Kant never left Königsberg and yet he had a very profound view of things, to say the least. Even the way you say "discovery" seems analogous to Nietzsche's fröhliche Wissenschaft.

Philosophical! Nietzsche used to recommend traveling for the same reason, and I like Nietzsche very much. But then, Kant never left Königsberg and yet he had a very profound view of things, to say the least. Even the way you say "discovery" seems analogous to Nietzsche's fröhliche Wissenschaft.
I failed high school, so although I’m familiar with the names you mentioned, I’m no scholar on such things. I guess I’m naturally worldly and school-of-hard-knocks educated, particularly due to my work life and travel experience.

@Richard_39 I am hopeless with laughing at inappropriate times lol. My wife knows when I have something serious to admit due to that affliction 😂

Hmmm, well, things are usually more fun and probably funnier when we’re young, so I understand what you mean, but I don’t know why you’d want to deliberately deprive yourself like that. Why not just enjoy it anyway? Life is stages. Just make the most of each stage. Do you avoid everything you enjoyed as your younger self, like food? You shouldn’t need to if you just accept life is different stages.
:unsure:

I failed high school, so although I’m familiar with the names you mentioned, I’m no scholar on such things. I guess I’m naturally worldly and school-of-hard-knocks educated, particularly due to my work life and travel experience.

@Richard_39 I am hopeless with laughing at inappropriate times lol. My wife knows when I have something serious to admit due to that affliction 😂
I don't think of it as affliction, though. I mean...I had some insane honeysuckle in my life. My uncle was a cop, he had some insane honeysuckle. My dad was a fireman, same.
It's a defense mechanism I think, a way for the mind to make sense of the totally unreal stuff it's seeing. Like, without going into details, I was a different person younger. Got into a few knife fights. So years later, my third hold up, when the guy was running at the door with his? I was actually laughing and daring him to throw his pig sticker through the window lol. It was unreal and insane, like one of the passerbys told me, but, it's how you cope. If you really think too much about it, it'll keep you up at night. Like I said before, life's too short to be kept up at night, you gotta try and get rid of the event. Laughter is a good way to do that. At EVERYTHING lol. As often as possible. Yourself included 😉

I don't think of it as affliction, though. I mean...I had some insane honeysuckle in my life. My uncle was a cop, he had some insane honeysuckle. My dad was a fireman, same.
It's a defense mechanism I think, a way for the mind to make sense of the totally unreal stuff it's seeing. Like, without going into details, I was a different person younger. Got into a few knife fights. So years later, my third hold up, when the guy was running at the door with his? I was actually laughing and daring him to throw his pig sticker through the window lol. It was unreal and insane, like one of the passerbys told me, but, it's how you cope. If you really think too much about it, it'll keep you up at night. Like I said before, life's too short to be kept up at night, you gotta try and get rid of the event. Laughter is a good way to do that. At EVERYTHING lol. As often as possible. Yourself included 😉
Affliction wasn't the right word, that's my vocabulary failing me. Trait? Characteristic? Attribute? Idiosyncrasy?

Not totally. I mean, I still have a good laugh with tears and belly aches sometimes when I get together with my one friend that sometimes comes camping with me, but I very rarely even chuckle when I watch comedy TV shows or movies or even comedy performances. I just don't find what is said and done in such shows humorous at all. I find it stupid, inane, low brow, simple, annoying or pathetic. On the rare occasion I actually LOL when I read a book, because of a situational scene, and I love that. I enjoyed the comedy of Seinfeld , The IT Crowd and British comedy shows of the 70's and 80's, and several movies of that era ( Fletch comes to mind) but today's TV shows, well, I might watch them sometimes, but I'm not laughing at all. I've been in social circles where people have been laughing their heads off at some "joke" and I'm looking around like "What the heck was so funny?" Is it just me getting older or has the quality of comedy declined? I guess I'm asking people of my vintage (I'm a Gen Xer) because I'm supposing most younger people really like TBBT and whatever else is playing these days.
I've been like this since ~14, not modern, neither old ones. It's not a problem for me. I used to think that just TV shows are for younger and I got old as my kid still finds them funny, but my mom also finds them funny. I don't care about it, but now I think, may be I should.|

Latest posts

Back