Life Stages - You better do what you can now while you still can.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The younger members should take this to heart.

When I was young, below 40, I figured I would always be able to physically do whatever I wanted to do. But, as I got into my 40's I started to notice is wasn't as easy and it took longer to recouperate. I thought, ****, this sucks and stopped doing as much. Rock climbing became difficult. My hands and feet, having arthritis in my joints from previous injuries, really hurt as I used them to grip cracks and crevices. But, I still pushed on.

But, now I'm into my 50's and I actually can't physically do what I used to be able to do. My hand, fingure, and ankle strength is no longer enough to solo climb. When I do go on long hikes or bike rides I'm sore for a few days and don't feel like doing that again. So, I don't. But, a couple weeks later I finally feel like doing it. But, it's like starting all over again. I really easily doing things that are tough for me to do know.

So, I sit here and wonder at what age I physically cannot ride my bicycle for many hours non-stop or hike all day and night non-stop. Or when it will be difficult to do that stuff for an hour straight. Or maybe it's more of a feeling, as in, I won't feel like doing that stuff any more.

Do you just not feel like doing things so you don't? Then soon after you just can't do those things any more?

How has it been for some of the older members?

This kind of thinking is exactly why I'm not going to work every day this summer while my kids are gone. I don't need the extra hours to that extent, and I would love to do some local hiking and day trips.

Good that you did do rock climbing @Finished . I'm in my 50's too and used to jog alot. Now I walk..well mozey mainly just to keep my body from turning to mush.

You've inspired me to dust off my bike in the geerage. Honestly I get a little bored when I walk. So thanks for that. I don't think I exactly answered your questions.

One thing I did for the first time last month that was like a natural high was fishing. Yup. I caught some yellow tail and even a shark which I felt bad about. That I would do again, fish.

I've seen videos of very fit seniors doing workouts and know of some that ski in their 70's. So, hopefully if the desire is there and your body is fit you can still pull an all nighter camping.

Im still young but after the attack I had to learn how to dance again, nothing worse than not being able to do things you could do with ease. I deffo look at getting old as romantic as possible however, I can imagine the bitter pills one has to swallow during old age. I hope I die before swallowing never being able to walk see or hear again.

Growing old is not for sissies. I do not have the energy I used to have, but what is the alternative.

I'm in my mid 40's and yeah I notice it takes longer to recover from a lot of things, even a pulled muscle, and the energy to do things...just don't feel like it anymore. Even dropping my car off at the mechanic, I can walk home from there it isn't far but I'd much rather someone pick me up.

I’m 51 and don’t feel old yet. However one thing that is killing me is I’ve had one marriage in my life and if I could do it all over again I would’ve never got married. It is a nightmare at this point. I don’t leave for some reasons that’ll probably take me a while to get into on here.

That's what I am trying to avoid by going to the gym regularly and taking care of my nutrition. I want to be able to play with my grandchildren someday.

The younger members should take this to heart.

When I was young, below 40, I figured I would always be able to physically do whatever I wanted to do. But, as I got into my 40's I started to notice is wasn't as easy and it took longer to recouperate. I thought, ****, this sucks and stopped doing as much. Rock climbing became difficult. My hands and feet, having arthritis in my joints from previous injuries, really hurt as I used them to grip cracks and crevices. But, I still pushed on.

But, now I'm into my 50's and I actually can't physically do what I used to be able to do. My hand, fingure, and ankle strength is no longer enough to solo climb. When I do go on long hikes or bike rides I'm sore for a few days and don't feel like doing that again. So, I don't. But, a couple weeks later I finally feel like doing it. But, it's like starting all over again. I really easily doing things that are tough for me to do know.

So, I sit here and wonder at what age I physically cannot ride my bicycle for many hours non-stop or hike all day and night non-stop. Or when it will be difficult to do that stuff for an hour straight. Or maybe it's more of a feeling, as in, I won't feel like doing that stuff any more.

Do you just not feel like doing things so you don't? Then soon after you just can't do those things any more?

How has it been for some of the older members?

My dad died at 90 from Alzheimer's. Physically he has been in great shape especially before his stroke. I started taking gentle yoga classes at 62, after not exercising for many years. Also did water aerobics. Fast forward 10 years and I'm still doing yoga but in a chair and on the mat. I also have a chronic illness so my situation is a bit different.

I’m 51 and don’t feel old yet. However one thing that is killing me is I’ve had one marriage in my life and if I could do it all over again I would’ve never got married. It is a nightmare at this point. I don’t leave for some reasons that’ll probably take me a while to get into on here.
That's awesome that you don't feel old yet!!!!!

Yeah, marriage can be a really bad situation. I've notice that many people stay married because it becomes a trap for them. I was once married and was super relieved when it was over. I really can't see doing it again.

Please try to remedy your situation somehow so you can try to enjoy the rest of your life.

My dad died at 90 from Alzheimer's. Physically he has been in great shape especially before his stroke. I started taking gentle yoga classes at 62, after not exercising for many years. Also did water aerobics. Fast forward 10 years and I'm still doing yoga but in a chair and on the mat. I also have a chronic illness so my situation is a bit different.
I spent a lot of time with my grandparents at their retirement community. I played pool and cards with lots of them. Nearly all of them told me to never stop doing whatever I do. If you stop you die not long after. So, keep doing the yoga at whatever level you can.

My dad retired and went straight to the couch. He mostly just ate TV dinners and watched TV all day. He died within about four years after he retired. However, his parents both lived well into their 90s. They were still riding their bicycles around their mobile home park in their 70s. So, I try to keep that in the back of my mind.

That's awesome that you don't feel old yet!!!!!

Yeah, marriage can be a really bad situation. I've notice that many people stay married because it becomes a trap for them. I was once married and was super relieved when it was over. I really can't see doing it again.

Please try to remedy your situation somehow so you can try to enjoy the rest of your life.
That’s exactly how I feel. I have interests that make me happy and in my current situation I’m not “alllowed” to be happy with the things I like doing and I don’t want to miss out on the things that I like. However, I’m not a rich person and she’s told me “I hope your happy paying alimony. I’m not sure how to attack this. My son has even told me “Dad I know your not happy” and that I should get out of the marriage and do what makes me happy. I’m not good at being lonely though. I’d love to find a good woman to spend my life with..

That’s exactly how I feel. I have interests that make me happy and in my current situation I’m not “alllowed” to be happy with the things I like doing and I don’t want to miss out on the things that I like. However, I’m not a rich person and she’s told me “I hope your happy paying alimony. I’m not sure how to attack this. My son has even told me “Dad I know your not happy” and that I should get out of the marriage and do what makes me happy. I’m not good at being lonely though. I’d love to find a good woman to spend my life with..
Well, it's great that your son is on board with you getting out of the marriage and being happy. This is your life and IMO you only get one shot at it. Again, IMO, you should do what you want to do. My parents didn't do me any favors by staying together. I just learned out to behave in a loveless disfunctional marriage. I had to stumble around trying to figure out how marriages were supposed to work.

I can understand the finance situation of things. Many people stay together for that very reason. Divorce is not pretty especially if the other person takes it as a challenge. But, I would suggest looking into it more seriously and find out what may actually happen. You might even want to take a possibly free counsultation with a divorce attorney. They should be able to tell you in the first session what will probably happen as long as you are honest and accurate with your details. You still may decide not to do it now or ever. But, it's good to know your options so you can make the best decision.

Yeah I think I’m going to talk to a divorce attorney to find out my options. I think I’ve mainly stayed around this long for my son and because of the money. However out of a 20 year marriage I’ve worked and supported my family by myself. She never worked. But she did keep house and helped raise our son. I started to see a counselor and talked to her about my wife. My wife talked to her once. ( I couldn’t get her to go back) and after consulting with a psychologist it was the counselors finding that I was a victim of domestic violence. I thought “I’m a big strapping man, there’s no way that I was a victim of domestic violence.” I realized that from a emotional and verbal standpoint I was indeed a victim of DV. My wife’s mother even says she wouldn’t blame me if I divorced her daughter. I’m miserable and would love to find someone that I could be happy in life with again.

I spent a lot of time with my grandparents at their retirement community. I played pool and cards with lots of them. Nearly all of them told me to never stop doing whatever I do. If you stop you die not long after. So, keep doing the yoga at whatever level you can.

My dad retired and went straight to the couch. He mostly just ate TV dinners and watched TV all day. He died within about four years after he retired. However, his parents both lived well into their 90s. They were still riding their bicycles around their mobile home park in their 70s. So, I try to keep that in the back of my mind.
My motto for an aging body "use it or lose it". There is an 88 year old in my chair yoga class. This week we signed up for a meditation class at the newly revamped senior center.

I was just reading a reddit thread sort of like this, about an older punk rock guy saying that you should go to shows when you're young, because it takes longer to recover when you're in your 30s and things like that.

I don't know, maybe it's one of those "your mileage may vary" things. Knock on wood, but I'm halfway through my 30s and I don't feel more tired than I did in my 20s, or any other time. Maybe a little more tired than I was as a kid, but maybe that's because back then, things were still new and exciting.

I'm not even in great physical shape or anything either. I'm still more skinny-fat than I'd like to be, although I feel like I at least have the problem at a manageable level. Nor am I saying this to boast. I hope I can hang on to my energy as long as possible, though - especially as I haven't even really begun to do things yet, since I was a mess in my late teens and 20s and while I've grown some since then, I'm still finding my way back from it, I'm not all the way back yet.

I was just reading a reddit thread sort of like this, about an older punk rock guy saying that you should go to shows when you're young, because it takes longer to recover when you're in your 30s and things like that.

I don't know, maybe it's one of those "your mileage may vary" things. Knock on wood, but I'm halfway through my 30s and I don't feel more tired than I did in my 20s, or any other time. Maybe a little more tired than I was as a kid, but maybe that's because back then, things were still new and exciting.

I'm not even in great physical shape or anything either. I'm still more skinny-fat than I'd like to be, although I feel like I at least have the problem at a manageable level. Nor am I saying this to boast. I hope I can hang on to my energy as long as possible, though - especially as I haven't even really begun to do things yet, since I was a mess in my late teens and 20s and while I've grown some since then, I'm still finding my way back from it, I'm not all the way back yet.
Great! Now go do the things you have been wanting to do BEFORE you turn 40!

Latest posts

Back