Loneliness and its consequence on mental health

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Night89

Reaction score
It came to me when i thought about loneliness. There was an older woman when i was admitted to the mental ward that was hearing voices due to loneliness. Its really tragic but also speaks to the effects on mental health of loneliness.

From what i read on the subject there is two types of loneliness, the nurturing loneliness and the draining loneliness. Its really interesting how the draining loneliness can contribute to the whole scale from feeling lonely to depression and hearing voices and delusions in contrast to the nurturing loneliness.

For me the nurturing loneliness gives me a moment to disconect from the world around me. I remember when the school ended when i was younger, i cried due to loneliness. But now i realise that it was due to the prosect of change due to my aspergers.

I've been going to a counselor as of a couple of years. Its been only as of late that i've understood my aspergers in how i work mentally. Fear of change is something that is central in my life. It's been a cause of why i havent chosen to have a girl, its because the fear of rejection.

For me friends or people in general is to be treated like something fine, that you only takes foward on occasion. But life does not work that way. It's not stellar but lives outside your bubble.

I've had the same musings, a while back, especially during covid, it was a weird time.
I know many people, but very very few close friends. I consider some of my family members to be close friends than actual friends. I rarely see them. During covid with the lockdowns, I was somewhat isolated. That was rather difficult. I was stuck in a small apartment doing nothing much besides going to work. Could only see one daughter at a time, nit both because of visit restrictions. I'm somewhat a solitary person, but that bit was difficult, since I barely talked to anyone during that period, save at work, which was helpful on a way. Now we've kind of gone back to a normal state of being. I enjoy other people 's company...to an extent. I need my alone time, at least a day a week, to recharge the batteries and take care of myself.

It's even been a bit difficult since I moved in with my sister. I have very few periods of being alone, I find it draining on vertain occasion, especially with a young child that moves a lot of air around. I realize I MAY not have the same level of patience I used to have lol. But it also serves to remind me I'm in a much better mental state than I was during the lockdowns. It's a careful balancing act. I'm still somewhat lonely, hits harder at times, but it's more easily manageable.

It definitely affects me.
This morning I had a s****y workout because I started thinking about something "relationship related", regarding events in the past 6 months, and it really got me down.
I was lucky to make it out of the house.

Latest posts

Back